False Nuetrals, getting worse!

joe camarda

I would think only V11S covers would work,not 100%sure.I would look for 04's as some of the 03's were made in 02 and it seems like most PSC issues were 02 and earlier.

I had bought an 03 Lemans low mileage whole transmission from Mark Ethridge  at Moto Guzzi Classics, http://motors.shop.ebay.com/guzzi-renew/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg for about $450.00.I would think $300-400 would be fair.He doesn't have one listed currently,but you could call him and let him know your on the lookout.After trying all of the things I did to correct bad shifting and figured the box was bad,luckily I tried the new cover( I suspected it from day one) before swapping boxes. It's unlikely you'll find just a cover alone as someone parting out a bike would probably sell the cover with the box.I tried Peter at Reeboot and he didn't have one last year but you could email him.Also Pinwall,they are on Ebay .

Have you taken the cover off and inspected it yet Warren?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's unlikely you'll find just a cover alone as someone parting out a bike would probably sell the cover with the box.I tried Peter at Reeboot and he didn't have one last year but you could email him.Also Pinwall,they are on Ebay .

No I haven't. Do you think there would be anything obvious to see if I pulled the cover. I really didn't want to take it apart this time of year unless I would be ready to put it back together rather quickly. I just would rather be riding than working on nice days when you get to be a certain age :oldgit:

Hi Warren,

You may have done this already but if not you should disassemble the external shifter linkage and clean/lube all the parts.  The bolt that holds the triangular linkage plate behind the shifter can come loose and you won't know it until you take it apart.  When you put it back together make sure the shifter isn't hitting the pork chop on downshifts and all the other parts of the linkage are moving freely.

It's unlikely you'll find just a cover alone as someone parting out a bike would probably sell the cover with the box.I tried Peter at Reeboot and he didn't have one last year but you could email him.Also Pinwall,they are on Ebay .

No I haven't. Do you think there would be anything obvious to see if I pulled the cover. I really didn't want to take it apart this time of year unless I would be ready to put it back together rather quickly. I just would rather be riding than working on nice days when you get to be a certain age :oldgit:

But you can't ride it till the false neutrals are fixed.Mine sat for almost 2 seasons as I couldn't ride it with any confidence coming into a turn in that condition,

From you original thread, http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17705&hl=%2Bpre+%2Bselector+%2Bcover&do=findComment&comment=188402

"Well I fixed my shifting problem today. simply changed the oil to the Red Line heavy shock proof oil. I have never had a lubricant of any sort make that much difference in anything. I just got back from a 200 mile ride. All back roads with about 50 miles of long sweepers and 35 miles of intense mountain twistys and I didn't miss one shift. It felt like a new gearbox. So I'm satisfied with that problem being fixed...at least for now. ."

It doesn't take that long to remove it.I can have it off in about 15-20 mins but Ive done it several times so unfortunately ,Im an expert. :grin:

For me there wasn't anything obvious,and even had another experienced owner take a look but couldn't find anything.Could have been a tolerance or alignment issue . Just make sure everything turns correctly and turns smoothly.With mine there was just a little play between gear selections,that may have been the problem.Also our covers may have been made about the same time with the same symptoms.Hmmmm,... :whistle:

It doesn't take that long to remove it.I can have it off in about 15-20 mins but Ive done it several times so unfortunately ,Im an expert. :grin:

The weather has taken a sharp turn for the worse this weekend . So it seems like a good time to investigate . Problem is the couple of threads I found on removing the plate seems to have lost it's pictures over time. Can anyone point me to a good thread w/pics for removing the plate and what to look at?

I went out and looked at the side cover and it looks like probably a half hour job, But I wanted to do some more evaluating first. I bought my bike from the original owner so I looked through the records I got with the bike and found the recall notice and work order for the transmission update performed back in '04. Along with the block being replaced, I assume for the black paint recall. I rode the bike some more and when down shifting it is definitely going past a gear to a neutral. So I road for about 10 miles concentrating on downshifting very lightly and it was much better but I still missed a few downshifts. I don't have any off the stock linkage, I have moto-Bits shifter. It has a couple of adjustments for leverage on the shifter. I moved it to give less leverage and drove for a while shift with authority and it worked pretty goo except about 1 time out of 4 going from 3 to 2 it wouldn't go in right away, being to short. So I doesn't seem like it's going to get any better. I'll take the side cover off and try adjusting the pawl engagement but I'm not very optimistic. What is it about the 04 shift cover that makes it so much better than the old one. The other thing is, is the later shift cover a sure cure or is it something that works for one guy but maybe not the other

So I doesn't seem like it's going to get any better. I'll take the side cover off and try adjusting the pawl engagement but I'm not very optimistic. What is it about the 04 shift cover that makes it so much better than the old one. The other thing is, is the later shift cover a sure cure or is it something that works for one guy but maybe not the other

Firstly, to keep this a little more linear,could you migrate this conversation back to your original thread?Maybe with your results after you pull the cover?

Your finally coming around to the reality of the situation.I spent much more time,labor and money before I did.

Don't know why slapping on an 03 cover in my case solved things.I also forgot to mention that I installed a Moto Bits control set and it made no difference.

My guess is the transition between Guzzi-Aprillia-Piaggio caused a lack of quality control between 00-04.Something maybe slightly out of tolerance or misaligned or sloppily assembled at the factory.Cant blame design as most people dont have this problem but many have.10-20%? I may have just gotten lucky and got one of the "good ones".They also added bracing to some of the later covers but not all and no one has found out why.The new cover I have doesn't have the xtra bracing.

let us know what you got when you get it off.

Firstly, to keep this a little more linear,could you migrate this conversation back to your original thread?Maybe with your results after you pull the cover?

I thought I was there. Where is the original thread?

Just for ref my 02 V11 (03 plate) started throwing false neutrals and these gradually increased over a period of a couple of months. The pawl spring then snapped. I replaced all the springs in the selector and it is now near to perfect with silky smooth changes, and has been for a couple of years now.