Name the manufacturer, displacement and explain the unique exhaust system.

quiz7newseason2mz.jpg

64901[/snapback]

Coming in from way out on the left field, I'm going to say Silk, 650cc and not a bleeding clue about the exhaust, unless it was designed to sound like a Phantom jet. As the original CBX allegedly was.

mike

Silk was yet another british "Worldbeater" with a modernized 2-stroke Scott engine

It seems the bike above is not a Silk. But I haven't got a clue either...

65409[/snapback]

Not a standard production model, anyway. Might be a protoype with a new engine. I recognised the frame style. We shall see.

They were lovely machines, although somewhat thirsty.

BTW, thanks for the previous point. I think I might be getting addicted.

mike

Hokaly dokaly,have another go...

Can Am, 500cc, double expansion chamber exhaust?

Is Can Am and Bombardier the same company?

Looks like a Can Am scrambler colour scheme and a Bombardier snowmobile engine. The exhaust to meet noise/emmissions regs?

The 1977 500cc CanAm street bike never made it into production. Only 2 or 3 prototypes were ever built (circa 1975). One was a street version which produced about 60 horsepower, while the other was an 85 horsepower road racing version. The engine was borrowed from a Bombardier snowmobile and modified to accept a 5-speed gearbox. The powerplant was liquid cooled and utilized a single horizontal rotary valve. The exhaust system was unique. The lower pipe on each side was an expansion chamber, and was connected to the top pipe (mufflers) with a small tube. This allowed expansion chamber performance while remaining quiet enough for street use. This machine never went into production because proposed EPA emission standards threatened its marketability in the United States. Tony Murphy wrote a magazine article about this motorcycle in 1976. He recently informed me that the prototypes are still running strong somewhere in Canada.

Wow! This is going to be a tough one. Big J was first  by about 12 hours and is close to being 100% right. Mike Wilson is definitely 100% right (he may have written the article where I got my information it is that close).

I am going to have to think about this one for a bit.

65868[/snapback]

Sorry, Jim, my post should have been in quotes. It was a hard article to find 8-)

Big J is definitely the winner wrt make, etc. My post was just to confrim details of the exhaust.

mike

Sorry, Jim, my post should have been in quotes.  It was a hard article to find 8-)

Big J is definitely the winner wrt make, etc.  My post was just to confrim details of the exhaust.

mike

65929[/snapback]

Thanks and well done to both you and Big J. I was hoping for more from Ryan and Steve but.......