Improvement over OE Bridgestone

O2 V11

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mal's rear wheel bearing did last year - he will probably read this tomorrow so can comment.

Round thing looked like a big metal hula hoop!

66269[/snapback]

he he, the metal hoola hoop thingy on Guy's bike was the inner race to the outer rear drive needle roller bearing, it was starting to pick up but a bit of TLC and grease has given it a new life.

As for my rear wheel bearing collapsing, it was the left hand bearing by the rear brake, we discovered it after a very spirited ride down a Italian pass near Lana last year, it had 2 ball bearings left intact :( . The local Guzzi shop was owned by a ex Guzzi racer mentioning that the bearing spacer was not quite the right length, he sorted this and a new bearing very quickly (been fine ever since) and gave me a bottle of local Guzzi wine...cool.

It still amazes me that after all these years of Guzzi ownership how much I enjoy riding these bikes (the v11 in particiular), thoroughly enjoyed yesterdays ride out over the wet morrland roads :bike: .

Mal :helmet:

The infamous, rust-prone needle roller bearing inner ring. I should have known that he was thinking of the edible hula-hoops! (Which are indeed a similar size.) I was thinking of the real/p.roper hoola hoop from the days of yore before kiddies had playstations for their amusement.

Mini-Cheddars-Hula-Hoops.jpghoola_hoop.jpg

When getting new bearings, I asked about putting more grease in under the seals. As I expected 'the man' said not to touch it, the bearing is sealed for life and lifting the seal will destroy it.

So, should I or shouldn't I?

Back to tyres. The Diablo Stradas were gone, so I took Metzeler Roadtecs.

Should I have or shouldn't I?

Does anyone have experience of both the Strada and the similar Roadtec?

Guzzi have gone to the other extreme, fitting the Rennsport to the Griso (I think).

To grease or not too grease? that is a question.

:2c:

Looked at your old "sealed" wheel bearing. Obvious water/foreign material damage... so not sealed, or at least not sealed for life. Well greased open wheel bearings in old bikes last a long time when properly greased and maintained...

I elected to open up the new bearings I had to buy when my sealed bearings were shot at 12k kms. greased them up and resealed them. Will they last longer?? Dunno - ask again when I've hit 25K kms...

I look at the sealed bearing as an open bearing with dust caps.

cheers,

Rj

or at least not sealed for life. 

66398[/snapback]

– exactly. I'm going to leave them alone, but open and check for grease / water at next tyre change. There's probably no point in knocking bearings out of their seats at every tyre change, but looks like it might be worth making a fairly regular change (– every couple of tyre changes?).

The infamous, rust-prone needle roller bearing inner ring. I should have known that he was thinking of the edible hula-hoops! (Which are indeed a similar size.) I was thinking of the real/p.roper hoola hoop from the days of yore before kiddies had playstations for their amusement.

When getting new bearings, I asked about putting more grease in under the seals. As I expected 'the man' said not to touch it, the bearing is sealed for life and lifting the seal will destroy it.

Guzzi have gone to the other extreme, fitting the Rennsport to the Griso (I think).

66350[/snapback]

66350[/snapback]

Cocked up the reply

I've just worn out a set of Metezler Roadtec's got 8500 km out of them.

Puting another set on this week. They never felt dodgy.Can't realy coment on any other tires for V11's. The bike came with 3\4 worn Pirelli's and they slipped and slid to much for me.All ways ran Metzler ME33+ME55 on my Tonti's so I'm sticking with Metzler Cheers

The seals are easy to lift by working carefully with a small pointed probe. I havn't found any totally dry but certainly not much grease in any either.

Mine have slung a little after the packing but just a little wipe up and happy they are wet.

As my brother was proud to announce at my large Italian immigrant wedding, " The secret to life is a wet moustache. How you get it is your business." :bier:

Just did another 60 odd miles of scrubbing in the Diablo Corsas today.

It was about 7 degrees C, sunny and cold with a mixture of wet and dry roads again. There was also plenty of salt on the roads.

Was very scenic with the autumnal colours contrasting with the still blue water on the reservoirs.

Has a great ride to Glossop for a cuppa and I am pleased to say that the Corsas worked well even on cold wet roads- I was really impressed actually.

Can recommend the Corsa version of the Diablo for all weather condtions.

Guy :helmet:

I look at the sealed bearing as an open bearing with dust caps.

cheers,

Rj

66398[/snapback]

post-1630-1131918402_thumb.jpg I knew someone else would want one too.