Improvement over OE Bridgestone

O2 V11

Do they take longer to warm up? I noticed on track days people seem to be very steady first lap or so, Diablos seem to be good straight off.

Thanks, KB :sun:

65266[/snapback]

This is from the man who after lecturing me to take it steady, before we left the Ponderosa on the Welsh Waltz, as the roads were damp. Within a 100yds has his back end step out. Though it could easily have been on a stone rather than damp. But other than that I can say KB doesn't suffer from lack of grip as he disappears off into the distance (or comes around the outside).

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not that worried about the life of the tyre- my rear tyres seem to last well cos I rarely touch a motorway unless on holiday so the bike is rarely upright!

This is my 4th rear in 12500miles, although one tyre only lasted 500 until it had an unrepairable puncture so I am roughly averaging 4000 miles for each rear, which is not too bad I think.

If the Corsa works better than the 020s but only give me 3000 miles I will be happy.

Guy :helmet:

I am not that worried about the life of the tyre- my rear tyres seem to last well cos I rarely touch a motorway unless on holiday so the bike is rarely upright!

This is my 4th rear in 12500miles, although one tyre only lasted 500 until it had an unrepairable puncture so I am roughly averaging 4000 miles for each rear, which is not too bad I think.

If the Corsa works better than the 020s but only give me 3000 miles I will be happy.

Guy  :helmet:

65269[/snapback]

The Diablo Corsa's are stickier than the normal Diablo, I got over 7000 miles on the rear Corsa and that was with alot of straight line travel, high and low speed turns. For some reason, I was able to get more mileage out of the Diablo Corsa's compaired to the Metzeler Sport tec. Must be due to the compounds used in the tire.

Mike

out here in southern california, lots of guys are diggin' the Conti Road Attacks. I am putting them on after the Sportec's wear out.

65114[/snapback]

How did you like the Metzlers? I just ordered a pair yesterday and will put them on next week. Haven't tried those before.

Amazing, we have must have completely different riding styles. My rear was worn out in less than 6,000 km. What is your fuel consumption? Mine has averaged 40.27 mpg since new. Is your lack of tyre wear reflected in your fuel consumption?

Rob

65248[/snapback]

On my carbed 1100 sport I average 14-16kms per litre round town. If I really really pat it I can get up to 18-19km per litre. If I'm out for a squrit that will quicky disappear down to between 11-13. Got 240kms to 21.5 litres the other day :wacko: good thing we don't pay the same prices for fuel you do in Europe. I usally run the tyres down to the tread limiters but may pull them early if winter is approaching and its getting down, preasure is kept at around 38-40psi. Didn't convert to mile per gallon as US gallon and English gallons are different and its a pain.

Athough I amost never travel two up actually the pillion pegs might be siezed in the up postion I wouldn't know, carry very little when I travel and put most of the wieght in the tank bag. The vast majority of the riding is big stupidly fast sweepers a slow corner will be signposted at 60kph so there is not a lot of heaving braking comming in and accleration fron alsmot stopped at the apex.

I also supect that the brigestone 020 that is sold over the counter in a place like the UK is quiet a bit softer than the 020 that is slold in Australia due to the average abient temps. I have no evedence one way or the other but just a genral impression.

Just taken my Rosso Corsa out for the first time on its new Diablo Corsas.

It was about 11 degrees C and I did 60 miles with Mal on his Le Mans over moorland roads which were dry in places and soaking wet elsewhere.

I was obviously taking it easy on new tyres and greasy roads but I am pleased to say that the Corsas warmed up as quick as my old BT020s and were very good in the wet.

We stopped for a cup of tea in a pub then headed back and by now the wind had dried the roads a bit more so we upped the pace a little and I noticed that the bike turned better on its new tyres- I reckon it is down to the front which although technically the same size definitely has a lower profile that the BT020.

All in all I am very pleased and can't wait for a warm dry summers day to test 'em properly- maybe a while though!

P.S. Thanks to Mal for helping me clean up my front brake pistons yesterday- a couple were nearly seized due to all the crud and brake dust but they are now as good as new.

....bike turned better on its new tyres- I reckon it is down to the front which although technically the same size definitely has a lower profile that the BT020.....

Found same off 020's onto Diablos but assumed it was the back making the difference as it was same effect as going to 170 rear only less so. It was/is the rear that I find slow to turn. Presume profiles are different at both ends from 020's.

KB :sun:

I've just taken my wheels off to leave them in for a pair of Diablo Stradas tomorrow. Thought I might as well change the front wheel bearings while the wheel is out, as people, including you I think, have reported early failure. (Whoops, Baldini has posted before me. This was addressed to Guy). Although they're still rotating ok, there isn't much effective grease in them and water has got in.

front_wheel_bearing.jpg

I think this (front axle) is a case where it makes sense to pack under the new bearing seals with more grease before fitting?

I should really find a wheel bearing thread and post there, in case there is any response.

KB - I agree the rear makes a difference too- the rear is much more rounded than a new BT020- and my BT020 had flattened a bit anyway after some Autobahn miles down to the Black Forest.

BFG- on the subject of grease this was the first time I had whipped the back wheel myself as the previous change was done by Agostinis whilst on tour, and the before that I had a puncture and ended up at the local dealers who whipped a new tyre on.

And surprise surprise there was naff all grease anywhere- the splines had rusted so bad the wheel was seized onto them and needed a big heave to get it off. The axle was bone dry too. The round metal thingy (can you tell I am technically minded?) that sits next to the needle roller bearing in the back wheel was dry and scored too- Mal pointed this out to me- he is an excellent Guzzi mechanic and a good teacher!

Obviously we gave everthing a good greasing and brushed the rust off so it should be fine now but I am appalled by Guzzi's lack of basic prep on their bikes- my local dealer said he went to the factory recently and each workstation had a big tin of graphite grease so hopefully they are improving in this area.

Good luck with your new tyres.

this was the first time I had whipped the back wheel myself

66260[/snapback]

Hmmm.. maybe it was Martin? Somebody's wheel bearings collapsed recently. I really am going to look for the bearing thread.

The round metal thingy  that sits next to the needle roller bearing in the back wheel was dry and scored too- Mal pointed this out to me-

66260[/snapback]

Did it look like this?

thunder_blue_tin_robot.jpg

Hmmm.. maybe it was Martin? Somebody's wheel bearings collapsed recently. I really am going to look for the bearing thread.

Did it look like this?

thunder_blue_tin_robot.jpg

66267[/snapback]

Mal's rear wheel bearing did last year - he will probably read this tomorrow so can comment.

Round thing looked like a big metal hula hoop!

Round thing looked like a big metal hula hoop!

66269[/snapback]

mmm...that big! Did you have iron-shod tyres? Better start a new thread on this one.

66267[/snapback]

Was not mine, My first had fallen apart when the first rear was changed. (6000m)

The replacement was fine at the next change(1200m) and I'm due for a new rear any day now (17,200m). When I had it up on the shop stand a couple of weeks back I tested it for wear by push/pull the top/bottom of the wheel , whilst there was no visable movement I could feel a very slight notch. But I'm not sure if this is within acceptable limits?

I've had to do all my wheel bearings and steering head too recently.

Absolutely zero,nil,nada grease anywhere.

You'd have been hard pressed to tell the lower steering bearing was a bearing at all.

Unless-maybe it was a cunningly devised friction damper.