Wierd throttle "catch"

bigbikerrick

This problem happens only accasionally, but its a little unnerving, when Im riding and back off the throttle, then go to open it again its like the throttle has a catch in it its like stuck for a second, then there is a "click" you can feel in the throttle and it then opens normally,and you can twist it over and over and everythings fine. you never know when its going to catch. any Ideas what it can be? Ive already lubed the linkage between the 2 throttle bodies with spray lube and its made no difference, otherwise the cable operates smoothly,and returns quickly. Thanks.

Is the cable routed correctly? Maybe it's frayed inside the outer cover? There have been reports of the tb spindles sticking slightly and it might be an idea to hit them with some penetrating oil (not wd 40, a proper penetrating oil) :2c:

I had that happen ...

1) Clean the linkage and spring thoroughly (sounds like you've done that) on each TB.

2) Pop off the air bits behind the TBs. Reach inside each one and clean the butterflies thoroughly. Mine were pretty gunked up when I got the bike.

Once all was clean and lubed I had no more stick in the go wand.

I am not a Guzzi geek , though it sounds to me like the TB's-injection are running unsuncronized,just speaking out of  my own experience.

When was the last time you had the TBs synchronised?You may have to chack it out.

65091[/snapback]

Ive never had them synchronized, It runs fine no flat spots, it seems the "catch" is mechanical in nature.

I had that happen ...

1) Clean the linkage and spring thoroughly (sounds like you've done that) on each TB.

2) Pop off the air bits behind the TBs. Reach inside each one and clean the butterflies thoroughly. Mine were pretty gunked up when I got the bike.

Once all was clean and lubed I had no more stick in the go wand.

65098[/snapback]

I will try that ,what cleaner do you use on the springs and linkage, auto carb cleaner spray? or something else.... :doh:

I will try that ,what cleaner do you use on the springs and linkage, auto carb cleaner spray? or something else.... :doh:

65154[/snapback]

Not sure it matters. I just used some carb cleaner and sprayed external stuff until the gunk ran out. Wiped it down and let it dry and then hit it with my bicycle ProLube. I use that for all cables and linkages on all vehicles as it is very slippery but dries to a thin waxy type substance. really stays put ans sheds water.

For the TBs, just open up the butterflys and slide a carb cleaner soaked cloth in there and clean everything up. I used some long q tips to get the crud that had built up around the butterfly pivots. That is the spot that caused the problem for me.

Good luck.

Not sure it matters. I just used some carb cleaner and sprayed external stuff until the gunk ran out. Wiped it down and let it dry and then hit it with my bicycle ProLube. I use that for all cables and linkages on all vehicles as it is very slippery but dries to a thin waxy type substance. really stays put ans sheds water.

For the TBs, just open up the butterflys and slide a carb cleaner soaked cloth in there and clean everything up. I used some long q tips to get the crud that had built up around the butterfly pivots. That is the spot that caused the problem for me.

Good luck.

65179[/snapback]

Thank You Sir! I will follow your recipe.

Have a close look also at the bell crank on the left TB. The fuel line, spark plug wire and some other wires and hoses are in pretty close proximity. A little grooming and zip-ties may be in order. :luigi:

Have a close look also at the bell crank on the left TB. The fuel line, spark plug wire and some other wires and hoses are in pretty close proximity. A little grooming and zip-ties may be in order. :luigi:

65242[/snapback]

Thanks Docc, I will take a look and see, :luigi:

• 1 month later...
Thanks Docc, I will take a look and see,  :luigi:

65258[/snapback]

Hi, what was the outcome of the cleaning? I guess it worked?

Mine does the same thing sometimes, and on a brand new (04) bike.

Hi, what was the outcome of the cleaning?  I guess it worked?

Mine does the same thing sometimes, and on a brand new (04) bike.

70789[/snapback]

I lubricated everything including the cable with wd 40 ,and so far it hasnt done it again, I guess it was lack of lube. I sprayed the linkages real good then also used compressed air to give it a good "blow job" HeHe . Good luck.

I lubricated everything including the cable with wd 40 ,and so far it hasnt done it again, I guess it was lack of lube. I sprayed the linkages real good then also used compressed air to give it a good "blow job" HeHe . Good luck.

70793[/snapback]

Also not a bad idea to shoot a tiny bit of lube at the throttle (between grip and the kill switch area on the bar) its basically plastic on plastic in there and can get a bit squeeky with some grime I've found white lithium works great everywhere or some chain lube.