Dumb Question # 307

Bill Hagan

OK, everytime I ask something like this at a meeting or on a website, I get ready for the hoots of derision. Sometimes I get 'em. :D

Anyway, please take a look at the pics here.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=9wgryy...db&x=0&y=b01eif

My question is whether the holes forward of and to the left and right of the monoshock are supposed to have bolts or the like? Obviously, nothing's there, but maybe that's the way it is supposed to be.

Thanks.

Bill

P.S. Kodak makes it seem as if you must register to see the pics. Not so; just light the first one up and the slideshow will start.

Hmmmmmmm.

What I couldn't see in the garage with my naked eye staring at the real thing is actually clearer in the pics now. Looks as if there ARE fasteners. Rivets?

Anyway, would still appreciate knowing what those are/do.

Thanks (again).

Bill

Guest ratchethack

Bill, it looks as if you've lost the right-hand side airbox fastening screw that secures the airbox to a support bracket. It's a button-head allen screw. Spin in a new one, no biggie. ^_^

The one on the left is in place. Had your eyes checked lately, Bill? :lol:

Because my V11 Sport now sports a Sport 1100i frame, I don't have the spot for the brackets to screw into. Guess what? They seem entirely redundant. The airbox seems to wedge in place and holds itself just fine via the TB connectors and the top mounting bolt.

Looks like that right side side-cover fastener has also gone away. Maybe time to rebalance those Throttle Bodies and apply a little Blue Loctite.

Bring it by the Lower Middle Muletown Guzzi Emporium for a tune! ( Bring your own Grappa :drink::drink: ).

My "right-hand side airbox fastening screw that secures the airbox to a support bracket" is missing? The "right side side-cover fastener has also gone away?"

Sierra Juliet! Are you guys doing a snipe hunt thing on me? Reminds me of my early airborne days when the NCO's would send new, dumb lieutenants (that's redundant, of course) out looking for "canopy lights" for our parachutes. :homer:

If you are not kidding, I need to get out there and look more closely. First, I didn't even know the Ballabio HAD a right side side-cover; EV, yes, but the Sport?

Now, the missing airbox-support-bracket screw sounds more believable, but even that (which is what I think I saw as gone) seems to have a rivet or something. I'll look tonight. :luigi:

So, thanks ... I think. ;)

And, Joe, not sure whether Ballabio or EV will be the mount of choice for Florida tomorrow. Kinda like a harem; never know what will please one when the mood strikes. :rolleyes: Was planning to ride the Ballabio, as it's not been down that way, but I hate to square off those new Michelin Pilot Powers on piney-woods straight and narrows. There are, however, some nice hills and curves along the way and days for riding without a big screen are fading fast. And, before you think it, no, the missing parts don't scare me. :blush:

Seriously, rode the EV in this a.m. for the heck of it. I know this is a V11 Sport board, but Calis are so darn good (mebbe not great, but mighty fine) at just about everything motorcycles do, that's it's a joy to ride.

So, blonde or redhead tomorrow? Hmmmmmm. Choices, choices. :D

I'll take another look at the pictures tonight when I have time to let them paint on my pushrod dial-up. The side covers are the odd shaped plastic pieces that cover the side of the airbox and front of the subframe. There are three fasteners that hold them on.

OK, everytime I ask something like this at a meeting or on a website, I get ready for the hoots of derision.  Sometimes I get 'em.  :D

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=9wgryy...db&x=0&y=b01eif

My question is whether the holes forward of and to the left and right of the monoshock are supposed to have bolts or the like?  Obviously, nothing's there, but maybe that's the way it is supposed to be.

Thanks.

Bill

P.S.  Kodak makes it seem as if you must register to see the pics.  Not so; just light the first one up and the slideshow will start.

65648[/snapback]

Bill,

I have replaced the missing air box screw on my 2000 V11 as well. The good news is that the bolt holes do not go all the way into the airbox so no dirt was sucked in :mg: .

Mike

My "right-hand side airbox fastening screw that secures the airbox to a support bracket" is missing?  The "right side side-cover fastener has also gone away?"

Sierra Juliet!  Are you guys doing a snipe hunt thing on me? 

65711[/snapback]

billsscrewloose.jpg

No snipes in this thread. (Yet)

Yessir, looks like both the air box bracket fastener and the side cover fastener is AWOL.

Grappa is not an effective thread locker. Try single malt. :drink:

P.S.  Kodak

65648[/snapback]

Hey Bill, can I order one of those groovey mugs?

PS I notice in your pics that the reverse-angle gusset is missing. If you're lucky it might be rolling around the garage floor somewhere.