139.6 Miles... Done

Guest jedione68

:2c: IV'E done 286 k on 15 litre tank,filling taking 14.4 litre. is this down to a more efficient exhausting system? less db = fuel efficiency? Xtra power - db = fuel efficiency :rasta: still lurnin.

:2c:  I have run my tank out a few times,And on straight roads when you are not throwing the bike around the tank will hold a few litres on the right side.I have done this 3 times,Run out ,Tip bike over to left side, get to fuel station.The book says 22 Litres,Have'nt put more than 21 Ls yet. 320 KM is best I can get out of A tank, Just the once. :bier:  :bike:

65841[/snapback]

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's notable that the tanks changed in 2003.

Regardless of mileage and capacity if the supply runs dry before the light stays on, the inlet to the petcock probably needs cleaning. :luigi:

And sad but tue, last feel up was before that great food stop we forgot to stop at!.

Jedi, well that tells the story... so after our "spirited" blast through DeLuz canyon, then (my guess is) hammering across Ortega Hwy, I am not surprised to hear of your fuel consumption. ;)

See you at the Dam show and ride on Sunday.

Bigbikerrick,

My bike is an 04 and the specs say it holds 5.5 gallons.  If that's true for you too, you had 2.9 gallons left in the tank when you filled up.  You should get close to 200 miles per tank.  Don't you love that feeling at those speeds.  Hard to stay away from 80, 100, or 120 even.  I get bored at 60 or 70.  Gotta watch for the MAN. 

Rocketman

65827[/snapback]

Gotta love the way the Guzzi feels at 80 mph + , Ive got a PNI silver bullett battery powered radar detector that fits perfect on the carbon fiber fairing windshield to sniff out "the Man" It has saved my bacon more than once! HeHeHe.. :bike:

Guest jedione68
Jedi, well that tells the story... so after our "spirited" blast through DeLuz canyon, then (my guess is) hammering across Ortega Hwy, I am not surprised to hear of your fuel consumption. ;)

See you at the Dam show and ride on Sunday.

65864[/snapback]

Racer X,

See ya at the DAM.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure our new map, with that extra squirt of juice

for 20 revo's, and blasting over the canyon didn't help.

Or going home on the freeway(after 3 days of ridding) that a buck 10

was just to "Normal"

Will I change my map??? Hell No, I love the new kick.

And know that I'm "Hip" to it, I'll try leaning my bike over for those

extra liters. Was it to the right or the left? For reals???

Peace, rubber side down,

Jedione

Guest jedione68
Gotta love the way the Guzzi feels at 80 mph + , Ive got a PNI silver bullett battery powered radar detector that fits perfect on the carbon fiber fairing windshield to sniff out "the Man" It has saved my bacon more than once! HeHeHe.. :bike:

65883[/snapback]

BBR,

I think I gotta get me one of those!

Last night coming back on the PCH, after our little

9 p.m. 60 mile canyon loop, my buddy and me see

a section of the coast highway we like and ah... open it up.

And "BLAM!" One of those amazinly bright spot lights from the side of the road.

My buddy slowed down, but I wasn't having any part of it, just blasted

back to Santa Monica and waited.

We both got off clean (No persuit) but it would have been

nice to have the little extra insurance for next time.

I'll have to look in to those.

Peace,

Jedione68

Guest klincke@gil.com.au

Just to add my two bobs worth I commute every day rain ,hail or shine on my 02 V11 sport. The low fuel light comes on around 250 klms and I fill up at approximately 260 klms. The tank will uasually take 16 to 17 lts.

I travel about 130klms round trip a day made up of highway and city traffic. Quite often mad eye takes a hold but other than prolonged highspeed (in excess of say 30mins) my feel useage varies little.

Guest MotoGeezr

I have a stock '03 LeMans other than Mistral cans. It goes 145 miles before the fuel light glows. If I fill up then it holds 3.5 gallons max. I go another 80-100 miles before making a stop if I can hold out that long. I have never gotten less than 42 mpg (a run that included several miles at 100+). I have averaged as high as 51, lots of times. Believe me I run the h#*l out of it as I am on my 6th set of tires in 17K miles. According to what I read I must have a rare one. I do truly love it.

On my stock except MG Ti cans and ventilated air box lid Nero, I routinely fill up at 190-210 miles. I have pushed it to 220 miles. When I fill up, I fill it up to the brim, well to the metal ring that is molded into the neck. My light is on steady around 170 miles. Running out of fuel at 139.6 miles ? Man, I'd have the thing looked over good

Today I went through about 4 fills.

After the first two I was averaging about 34MPG in a mixture of canyons and high speed freeways, but then, just for kicks, I filled up with 87 Octane (I normally use 91 and Yes it pinged at WOT), but amazingly, I got 43MPG.

Now that I have new hope of better MPG,

I have got to get busy with that tune boy tuning the timing! :D

Just to add my two bobs worth I commute every day rain ,hail or shine on my 02 V11 sport.  The low fuel light comes on around 250 klms and I fill up at  approximately 260 klms.  The tank will uasually take 16 to 17 lts.

I travel about 130klms round trip a day made up of highway and city traffic.  Quite often mad eye takes a hold but other than prolonged highspeed (in excess of say 30mins) my feel useage varies little.

65927[/snapback]

I hope you are not in the military. We may have to call you Colonel Klinke...

Actually we thank you very much for your input. You have given very detailed information.

Today I went through about 4 fills.

After the first two I was averaging about 34MPG in a mixture of canyons and high speed freeways, but then, just for kicks, I filled up with 87 Octane (I normally use 91 and Yes it pinged at WOT), but amazingly, I got 43MPG.

Now that I have new hope of better MPG,

I have got to get busy with that tune boy tuning the timing! :D

66318[/snapback]

It's not surprising you got decent mileage with 87 octane. 89, 91, 92, and 94 octane rating fuel in fact use a flame inhibitor, more so for the highest 'octane'. This prevents pre-ignition. On any other machine that you may have that does not need higher rating such as the V11 engine, you should try to put in the lowest octane rating it is happy with. Your engine will get more power and better mileage.

Ciao, Steve G.

I was not suprised that I got better fuel efficiency, but I was suprised how much better.

Jumping from 35 to 43 MPG shocked me! I was hoping to get at best 38MPG.

When I switch from 87 to 91 in my car, fuel consumption increased maybe one or two MPG.

My bike's fuel consumption has been very consistent (always between 30 and 37MPG and usually 33 to 35MPG) until this tank of 87 Octane(that was probably more like 88octane because of the 91 already in the tank)

I might theoretically need 95 octane to prevent the pinging that I have experienced at wide open throttle above 4000rpm and I need maybe 85octane for touring at half throttle.

The huge change really seems to indicate that the timing and fuel maps can be greatly improved.

But the big question is how to do it safely, but without paying big bucks for dyno time.

I also noticed durring the 87 octane run it pinged at about 70degrees, but when it got lightly foggy and 65 degrees the pinging went away.

I'll also have to modify the temperature map!

I think the bike has the potential to safely get 50MPG!!!(albeit with lean surging :( )