139.6 Miles... Done

Guest jedione68

Guest jedione68

Hello Guzzies,

Nothing that important.

But, between the manual's and the forum.

I've always wondered just how far my v11 would

go on a full tank of gas (From the brim to thats all folks!).

Well, tonight I finally answered that question. Luckly on

home turf.

I last filled up on the East-side of the Ortaga High with Todd, Warren,

and Rich heading home, post the Moto Euro West rally. My faithful

steed has been parked ever since in the garage after making it home.

On a quick blast around the "Hood" for some Coffee, I found out just how

far MY V11SPORT will go between pit stops... 139.6 miles.

No farther, no less. I now know because at every fill up during the

rally we'd all re-set our Trip-Om just to judge our way about.

So know I now, ya-hoo! I'm glad it happened local and I could call one of

my "five minute away" riding buddies for some gas. I do wish how ever

it WASN"T in front of my favorite espresso bar.

As an after thought...

How come I didn't get any "Air-Bubbles" or "Vacume-Lock" in my F.I???

Oh well, just thought I'd share. 139.6 139.6 139.6...

THATS GOOD TO KNOW.

Peace, rubbersidedown,

Jedione68

P.S. YES, the gas light came on once or twice, but for the last

10 miles or so and post "No" gas... THE LIGHT WAS GONE!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S.  YES, the gas light came on once or twice, but for the last

10 miles or so and post "No" gas... THE LIGHT WAS GONE!!!

65668[/snapback]

That could be useful to know if it's suposed to do that. That the light goes out again. Has anyone else run it completely dry?

Guest jedione68
That could be useful to know if it's suposed to do that. That the light goes out again. Has anyone else run it completely dry?

65670[/snapback]

That was the novel part of it, in theory, the light

should come on at X amount to go and stay on until...

Yep, we're out of gas.

But I'm sure this isn't a "Cross the Board" thing with v11's.

More like just another Italian "Quirkie" perk we have grown

to love and live with.

Thanks, peace and rubbersidedown.

Jedione

HMMMMM?

Unfortunately I never noticed how many miles I went the one time I ran out, but I have gone over 170miles without running out.

I have gotten fuel mileage readings from 30 to 37 MPG with probably more than 90% of readings between 33 and 36 MPH, and I would guestimate my average MPG to be 34.5MPG.

Assuming for sake of round numbers I got 35MPG everytime I went over 160 miles, that would translate to the tank being atleast 4.5 gallons before running out.(and I seem to recall exceeding 5 gallons US a few times)

If my bike sits a while, MPG seems to drop(evaporation :huh2: )

If you got 31MPG and only had 4.5 gallons of available tank you would run out at 139.5 miles.

But I really think your tank is bigger than that.

So is your MPG under 31MPG?

Perhaps your PCIII map is a little rich.

One tank is barely evidence, so I would reserve judgement, but if you are getting less than 31MPG, I would start by pulling the sparkplugs, and I would get that bike on a tuning link as you probably have some serious rich and or lean spots.

FWIW the fuel mileage with the Quat-D was about the same.

When I got readings as low as 30MPG it was from riding a 7mile commute, where the engine barely warmed up.

And please note these are Veglia miles and actual fuel consumption is estimated to be about 3% worse, based on mile markers vs. odometer.

Guest jedione68
Isn't 139.6 the measured top speed of a V11 with the race kit? I believe the magazine RacerX works for tested one to that speed.

I have run mine out and the light was on.

65673[/snapback]

I can't tell ya how stoked I am to have matched a speed record!!!

( but that is a geo-guzzi-oddity/Dapper Dan co-insidence)

Heli, so your light stayed on? I kind of figured it wasn't a

complete Guzzi/v11 thing. Just figured that some will work (dont know why)

and some wont work (still dont know why!)

God I'm glad we all love and can handle those little quirks!

139.6 MPH and 139.6 Top Speed, Todd's going to have to erase

my PCIII after this one. And I'm sure my girl would go 145 MPH

if that darn rev-limiter wouldn't kick in at 8650 RPM's.

All I'm asking for is another 850 RPM's... Ya hoo!!!

I'd still like to know what milage other v11's have stoped rolling at???

Peace, rubbersidedown.

Jedione

The greatest distance I have travelled on one tank is 186 miles. I then put in 21.67 litres. This would probably be as empty as you could go without running out. You know when you are starting to run out.... Once it coughs and splutters the first time I need to be less than 5 miles from a gas station. But I haven't had to push it yet. My fuel light hasn't worked from day one, I haven't got round to looking at it yet, one day perhaps.

Rob

The greatest distance  I have travelled on one tank is 186 miles. I then put in 21.67 litres. This would probably be as empty as you could go without running out. You know when you are starting to run out.... Once it coughs and splutters the first time I need to be less than 5 miles from a gas station. But I haven't had to push it yet. My fuel light hasn't worked from day one, I haven't got round to looking at it yet, one day perhaps.

Rob

65679[/snapback]

I have never run it dry but since I had my PC111 USB setup I can get 10 miles to the litre whilst motorway cruising at 85 / 90 mph, giving a theoretical tank range of around 200 miles. Mals V11 makes identical MPG too.

The speedos are optimistic though- when my speedo says 90mph I am really doing 82mph according to my GPS.

Guy :helmet:

I've done 194 miles on one tank. Damn near dry when I stopped though

65725[/snapback]

What it really boils down to is how the bike is mapped and your riding style, type of roads (curvy or straight), rpm the bike is ridden at and last but least air temp.

Mike

What it really boils down to is how the bike is mapped and your riding style, type of roads (curvy or straight), rpm the bike is ridden at and last but least air temp.

Mike

65728[/snapback]

I have varied all those things without much change in MPG.

Engine temperature seems to be the greatest modifier of MPG on my bike.

Now that I have Tuneboy, I'll be playing with engine temperature trim map. :D

I also want to try different valve clearances, as someone posted they got better MPG with tighter valves...(Don't worry, I won't go tighter than intake 0.004" (0.10mm), exhaust 0.006" (0.15mm), but the only time I ever broke 40MPG was before the initial service which leads me to speculate that the tighter clearance may help the MPG.

Jedi....did you do the infamous gas slosh to get fuel to left side? Nearly a gallon of fuel could get stuck on the right side in the older style tank used up until early 2003.

..here's Al's thread from last year...before he left us in the dust and upgraded to the new style tank. :)

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2153&hl=

Mike

65728[/snapback]

It was during the return from Ojai the year before last. Slab riding (boring!!!) up I-5 at a steady 79 mph. Steady state seems to be the defining criteria (still boring - really boring... yawn) with minimal throttle variations and operating around the 4200-5000 rpm point. I cannot emphasize how utterly boring this is. Really. Getting redundant aren't I? At any rate, I've turned 51 mpg several times on three different Guzzi's, the Sport 1100i, the V11 Sport and the California riding like this. These three bikes are as different as night and day yet when you get that big V twin in the economy zone they return remarkablly similar results. None of these bikes was mapped either although the V11 Sport had a PCIII on it with a map from a bike with the same aftermarket exhaust.

Best I've achieved is 320 KM, approx 198 miles. There was still a bit of gas left in the tank, but I wasn't game to go any further and was thankful to make it to a gas station.

Since adding the stucchi crossover and mistral mufflers, I don't think I could still achieve this mileage.

It was during the return from Ojai the year before last. Slab riding (boring!!!) up I-5 at a steady 79 mph. Steady state seems to be the defining criteria (still boring - really boring... yawn) with minimal throttle variations and operating around the 4200-5000 rpm point. I cannot emphasize how utterly boring this is. Really. Getting redundant aren't I? At any rate, I've turned 51 mpg several times on three different Guzzi's, the Sport 1100i, the V11 Sport and the California riding like this. These three bikes are as different as night and day yet when you get that big V twin in the economy zone they return remarkablly similar results. None of these bikes was mapped either although the V11 Sport had a PCIII on it with a map from a bike with the same aftermarket exhaust.

65754[/snapback]

I look forward to the fuel stops to break up the monotony and for a stretch. No way could I maintain a constant throttle like that. I'm happy stopping at about 120-130 miles with the knowledge there's a bit more if I need it.