Guzzi clutch/flywheel question

bigbikerrick

After reading the threads and seeing the picture about our brother Guzzisti in europe whose flywheel broke at the mounting hub,while riding in Spain, Im wondering is this model flywheel used only in the scura/rosso mandello, or do we need to worry about our v 11 sport nakeds? I used to have a rosso mandello, and the clutch would chatter when the lever was released,and silent with the lever pulled in( disengaged) my 02 naked is the opposite, it only chatters when I pull the lever in. does my naked use the same flywheel as the scura, or is the whole system different? My bike has been troublefree for 7000 miles ,but if theres a risk of the flywheel disintegrating and taking out my cases, I would look for a better replacement . also.... what is a "RAM" clutch? Thanks. :rasta:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the threads and seeing the picture about our brother Guzzisti in europe whose flywheel broke at the mounting hub,while riding in Spain, Im wondering is this model flywheel used only in the scura/rosso mandello, or do we need to worry about our v 11 sport nakeds? I used to have a rosso mandello, and the clutch would chatter when the lever was released,and silent with the lever pulled in( disengaged) my 02 naked is the opposite, it only chatters when I pull the lever in. does my naked use the same flywheel as the scura, or is the whole system different? My bike has been troublefree for 7000 miles ,but if theres a risk of the flywheel disintegrating and taking out my cases, I would look for a better replacement . also.... what is a "RAM" clutch? Thanks.  :rasta:

65989[/snapback]

The 'single plate' clutch like the one John O'Sullivan had is ONLY in a few models like the Scura and the Rosso Mandello (dunno about the Tenni, but I don't think so). Your bike has the heavier, older style, reliable as gravity dual plate clutch.

FWIW, I have a RAM clutch (single plate) in my Eldorado, and when it warms up, it sounds just like what you describe. All single plates do that as far as I know.

The 'single plate' clutch like the one John O'Sullivan had is ONLY in a few models like the Scura and the Rosso Mandello (dunno about the Tenni, but I don't think so).  Your bike has the heavier, older style, reliable as gravity dual plate clutch.

FWIW, I have a RAM clutch (single plate) in my Eldorado, and when it warms up, it sounds just like what you describe.  All single plates do that as far as I know.

65995[/snapback]

Phew! thats one less thing to worry about! Thank you Sir. BTW is a RAM an aftermarket clutch?

I thought the Tenni also had a single plate clutch.

Is it a common part to all three models?

Are all the breakages confined to Scuras, which is a later model than the Rosso Mandello and Tenni?

There are more Scura than RM and Tenni combined. Is this just probabilities working then selves out? Or a bad batch something change in the manufacture/handling or even the person doing the assembling?

We are talking about a dozen failures in runs of 600/300/170 are we not?

2% (Scura only) - 1.1%( All single plate) Risk assessment but could be catastrophic if it goes big time.

R Mandello, Tenni & Scura have single plate clutch. All others have completely different twin plate clutch.

Everything after that is conjecture....

It said R mandello has RAM (aftermarket manufacturer) clutch. Scura & Tenni have different clutch, said to be variously an improved/inferior copy of the RAM. Roberto, who's Scura clutch failed reports that the flywheel was stamped RAM, but also that the RAM clutch he replaced it with was different (he does not specify how). It has been said that the material around the flywheel centre is thinner.

All failures that we have heard of here have been on Scuras. Cause of failure is unknown. Tho given the same thing happens every time it doesn't say much for strength of flywheel. Some say alu is not suitable material for flywheel. It appears that failure is preceded by warning noises that things are wrong & that if not heeded then failure is pretty spectacular.

KB :sun:

R Mandello, Tenni & Scura have single plate clutch. All others have completely different twin plate clutch.

Everything after that is conjecture....

It said R mandello has RAM (aftermarket manufacturer) clutch. Scura & Tenni have different clutch, said to be variously an improved/inferior copy of the RAM. Roberto, who's Scura clutch failed reports that the flywheel was stamped RAM, but also that the RAM clutch he replaced it with was different (he does not specify how). It has been said that the material around the flywheel centre is thinner.

All failures that we have heard of here have been on Scuras. Cause of failure is unknown. Tho given the same thing happens every time it doesn't say much for strength of flywheel. Some say alu is not suitable material for flywheel. It appears that failure is preceded by warning noises that things are wrong & that if not heeded then failure is pretty spectacular.

KB :sun:

66019[/snapback]

I wonder if the problem may be caused by the bolts loosening up,and allowing some play?? :cheese:

When I was into the clutch on my Scura, i wasn't paying much attention but after I loosened the flywheel bolts, I thought 'Gee, that didn't seem very tight.' but to be honest I wasn 't paying much attention. I was simply disassembling everything.

Personally, I think it's a flywheel bolt torque issue and the next time i'm in there I'll replace the entire assembly i.

Peace of mind is a wonderful thing, ya know? :bier:

johnk

I wonder if the problem may be caused by the bolts loosening up,and allowing some play?? :cheese:

66022[/snapback]

That's a theory that's been suggested. Quite possible some bikes didn't have bolts torqued up at factory.

Thanks for the single-plate clutch clarification on the Tenni. Let's not talk about it too much or it'll go right to their heads.

RAM clutches are aftermarket clutches. They are lighter than stock, single-plate and some people swear by them while others swear at them. Apparently, they work well in lower power applications, but I've read of instances where they wear out when used on higher power bikes that are loaded up for touring....

MGCycle's page on the RAM unit.

I put a RAM Clutch in my Eldorado

I'm not sure, to be honest. I spoke with a fellow who put one in his Le Mans ( '90's Tonti frame) and used that as a sport touring bike. He said that after ~30K miles, it started to slip. No more details than that. I don't have but maybe 2000 miles on mine- it's still quiet, fer chrissakes, but then I actually put spline grease on it when I installed. Considering the very low numbers of installed RAM clutches, it's hard to say with any certainty if there will be problems.

Oh- one other advantage of the RAM clutch is the easy pull compared to the stock clutch.