Why so many used V11's?

Guest josejones

Guest josejones

I realize this is my first post, but I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything. Just trying to get an answer to a question.

I've had a couple of Guzzis that I've restored but when I got married I sold them. Told the wife this wasn't the way it will always be. Well that day has come and I'm looking to buy a V11. Not sure which one. Honestly, can they be that different? Anyway, I digress...

My question is. As I am trolling Craig's List I notice a lot of V11s '00 - '03s for sale. What gives? I've asked the people posting but always get the usual, "Things changed." or "Need the money." But it just seems compared to to a few years ago an abundance of Guzzis for sale particularly V11s. So, is there something up with this bike, or is it just because this was because the V11 was so mainstream for Guzzi it picked up a lot of fair-weather-guzzi riders?

Anyway, hope to be a contributor and not a poser in the near future.

Jose

Guest HDGoose

A different type of person is purchasing Guzzi's today. I know many folks who like Guzzi's, but feel the need to change bikes every few years. Guzzi's do not really allow that for most of us. But it makes the used bike market nice for us that buy used machines! :2c:

Guest ratchethack
I am trolling Craig's List I notice a lot of V11s '00 - '03s for sale. What gives? ...is there something up with this bike, or is it just because this was because the V11 was so mainstream for Guzzi it picked up a lot of fair-weather-guzzi riders?

Jose, it might well be "fair weather syndrome". Whatever it is, it's created a fabulous buyer's market. With the exception of the "blistery engine paint" models :nerd: , at the prices they're going for, IMHO, these bikes have to be about the best buys in all of motorcycling.

One thing I've observed is that many owners of these bikes seem to have picked them up for the wrong reasons. That is, because they like the way it looks and/or sounds (period). That's all well and good, but not knowing the first thing about either Guzzi's - and/or because they don't necessarily know much about motorcycles in general, this can result in some unwanted "surprises" for the uninitiated. <_<

For example, when they discover that the parts and service aspect of a tiny European manufacturer with it's US contingent in seemingly perpetual "re-org mode" isn't very much like dealing with Honda, well....for a variety of reasons, many just seem to get spooked and bail. Not that these bikes require any more attention than average, or that there are any more "horror stories" than with other marques - I think it's mostly that guys get nervous when some aspects of parts and service seem beyond their ability to comprehend, and "the guy with all the answers" isn't nearly as accessible as the team of counter guys at the corner Yam-Hon-Suz-Kaw-shop. :wacko:

Speaking for myself, none of this has ever bothered me. Between just a few phone numbers and Web sites, I've never had to wait longer than 2 days for any part. By planning ahead, I don't think I've ever missed a single riding day waiting. I don't anticipate a time when there could be anything like a prohibitive parts sourcing problem. But I've been maintaining my own bikes for many many years, so I guess I have a slightly different perspective.

If you've restored a few old Guzzi's, you should take to a V11 like a duck to water. C'mon in, the water's fine! B)

I agree with Ratchet :thumbsup: I actually like the rarity of the bike, except when I want aftermarket parts for it. Then there is limited choices due to the low numbers of bikes out there to customize. 20 years ago Harley dealers couldnt give their bikes away & look at them now. If you buy a v11 now theres a good chance that someday it will go up in value. The looks/style of the bike are timeless & its a good Goose that will last for over 100k miles, given proper maintenance. I bought a Rosso Mandello & I love it after 8500 miles. :2c:

I agree with Ratchet  :thumbsup: I actually like the rarity of the bike, except when I want aftermarket parts for it. Then there is limited choices due to the low numbers of bikes out there to customize. 20 years ago Harley dealers couldnt give their bikes away & look at them now. If you buy a v11 now theres a good chance that someday it will go up in value. The looks/style of the bike are timeless & its a good Goose that will last for over 100k miles, given proper maintenance. I bought a Rosso Mandello & I love it after 8500 miles. :2c:

66547[/snapback]

:mg: l agree !! :thumbsup:

plus you're right about those :ninja: scarry Scura's :grin:

:bier:

Cheers, and welcome !!

Van

Maybe a little reality is in order.

Yah, the Guzzi's great, but it is PRECISELY because of the way it looks and sounds.

It uses a 60's tech engine in a gear box that is suspect, with torque reaction shaft drive. It's pretty heavy and slow -- but doesn't offset that by being rock solid at high speed like other heavy, slow bikes. The suspension is froggy, mostly 'cuz the bike's weighted weirdly, but also because apparently Guzzi never heard of progressive linkage and applies suspension bits as if everyone was (I guess an Italian) 5'8" and weighed 165lbs...........

It sucks gas like a pig, and it helps that the tank has a phantom gallon and a half you can't get to.....

Add to this: questionable paint, some QC problems with bearings and valve guides, gear springs that break without warning, and (for the really less lucky among us) exploding clutches.

Of course the customer service and warranty response is, at best, spotty.

You gotta love it to put up with all this, of course, but it's no wonder there are a lot of 3-5 year old V11's that guys have grown a little tired of.

I love mine, but truly...........one of the reasons I think it'll always be in the garage is that the resale on them is worthless.........it's taken so much time and effort getting sorted, it's only worth a lot to ME. Now , of course, it will run forever as all sorted Guzzis do.

And it sounds and looks SO GOOD.

But don't blame anyone who'd rather go out to his garage on a free Sunday and see a Honda parked there. He may ride a bike with a little less character, but he'll be sure to ride.

All very true and well put. :thumbsup:

But: perfect Honda for sale, flawed and suspect V11Sport chained to Rottweiler with AR15 sights leveled over it. You can't have it. It's wonderful and the perfect Honda (93 VFR) isn't.

These are wonderful motorcycles. They can be sorted. And at today's used prices they are a real bargain. :mg:

All very true and well put. :thumbsup:

But: perfect Honda for sale,  flawed and suspect V11Sport chained to Rottweiler with AR15 sights leveled over it. You can't have it. It's wonderful and the perfect Honda (93 VFR) isn't.

These are wonderful motorcycles. They can be sorted. And at today's used prices they are a real bargain.  :mg:

66569[/snapback]

Both you fine gentlemen put forward your cases so well :thumbsup:

what price CHARISMA? :wub: and style :helmet:and the fact that these things :race: just plain go! and do so while sounding soooo perfect?

V11's are about charisma. not convinced? l've NEVER ONCE heard a Beemer rider praise the SOUND his bike makes, :bbblll: , had a beautiful '82 R100S, the bloody valves where louder than the exhaust !

:mg: V11's rock :mg:

:bier:

Cheers

Van

Maybe a little reality is in order.

Yah, the Guzzi's great, but it is PRECISELY because of the way it looks and sounds.

It uses a 60's tech engine in a gear box that is suspect, with torque reaction shaft drive. It's pretty heavy and slow -- but doesn't offset that by being rock solid at high speed like other heavy, slow bikes.    The suspension is froggy, mostly 'cuz the bike's  weighted weirdly, but also  because apparently Guzzi  never heard of progressive linkage and applies suspension bits as if everyone was (I guess an Italian)  5'8" and weighed  165lbs...........

It sucks gas like a pig, and it helps that the tank has a phantom gallon and a half you can't get to.....

Add to this:  questionable paint, some QC problems with bearings and valve guides,  gear springs that break without warning, and (for the really less lucky among us) exploding clutches.

Of course the customer service and warranty response is, at best, spotty. 

You gotta love it to put up with all this, of course, but it's no wonder there are a lot of 3-5 year old V11's that guys have grown a little tired of.

I love mine, but truly...........one of the reasons I think it'll always be in the garage is that the resale on them is worthless.........it's taken so much time and effort getting sorted, it's only worth a lot to ME.  Now , of course, it will run forever as all sorted Guzzis do. 

And it sounds and looks SO GOOD.

But don't blame anyone who'd rather go out to his garage on a free Sunday and see a Honda parked there.  He may ride a bike with a little less character,  but he'll be sure to ride.

66558[/snapback]

Sucks gas like a pig??? I get consistently 40-50 mpg on my 03 naked, and thats riding it pretty darned fast! whats your mileage?

Maybe a little reality is in order....etc....

What Dan said covers it. I'd say there's a few heads in the sand here: Research, testing, quality control, spares, customer care & dealer support from Guzzi over the last few years has been shite. No question. Riders on other brands wouldn't generally touch a V11 or Sport if they have any limited knowledge of their reputation. The ones that are seduced, by looks & sound, end up with fingers burnt & end up unloading them at whatever they can get.

The Breva/Griso etc. seem to be set to address all this - time will tell, but they seem to be a different league to the old bikes. Hope Piaggio get the dealer/customer support end fixed too.

I'll be keeping my Scura, not cos I can't get cash for it, but cos it's dug it's way into my life - it had no-one else to turn to. I'll get it sorted (if it don't sort me first). And for everything, on a good day - it's a cracking bike to ride.

KB :sun:

Copy_of_Mallory___Gerrards.jpg

My question is. As I am trolling Craig's List I notice a lot of V11s '00 - '03s for sale. What gives?

66514[/snapback]

It could just be 'that time' in the V11's life. A couple years after hitting a market, any brand bike will start to show up on the used resale lists. This sounds like a good thing for you, if you are in the market for a used V11.

I realize this is my first post, but I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything. Just trying to get an answer to a question.

I've had a couple of Guzzis that I've restored but when I got married I sold them. Told the wife this wasn't the way it will always be. Well that day has come and I'm looking to buy a V11. Not sure which one. Honestly, can they be that different? Anyway, I digress...

My question is. As I am trolling Craig's List I notice a lot of V11s '00 - '03s for sale. What gives? I've asked the people posting but always get the usual, "Things changed." or "Need the money." But it just seems compared to to a few years ago an abundance of Guzzis for sale particularly V11s.  So, is there something up with this bike, or is it just because this was because the V11 was so mainstream for Guzzi it picked up a lot of fair-weather-guzzi riders?

Anyway, hope to be a contributor and not a poser in the near future.

Jose

66514[/snapback]

Its a great time to buy a Guzzi Jose, Believe me, prices will level out then go up on V 11 sports. I bought a 2003 with 3000 miles for $6500. and have no regrets its a great bike. It still has a year of warranty left, but I have had nothing but reliable fun with it. These bikes rock! buy one now when the prices and selection is good. Its a buyers market ,but that wont be the case forever.. I basically got a kick-ass exotic bike with quality components for the price of a 750 Shadow HeHeHe, Im happy! :mg:

A lot of V11 buyers were sucked in by the gorgeous looks. They clearly were not ready for Italian motorcycle ownership. Once past the first date, they found the following warts:

- the suspension needs tweaking for the bike to be rideable at pace on bumpy roads (OEM spring and damping rates are NOT matched, so the roadholding is awful on anything but smooth roads)

- some owners have had various minor, but annoying, electrical glitches (relays, sidestand cutout switches, etc.)

- flaky crankcase paint

- generally poor dealer support (with some notabale exceptions, like Moto International, MG Cycle, and others)

- sub-standard parts supply

-

HOWEVER, if you are a true believer, all of these problems are easily overcome. If you are no stranger to wrenches and Italian motorcycles, and have some mechanical aptitude, then a V11 will make you very happy. If this is your first foray into the world of Italian motorcycles, then you will find that this forum is very helpful.

If you have owned 70's or 80's Guzzis, then the V11 is simply the same basic machine with fuel injection and better brakes.