Starting Procedure

orangeokie

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried hitting the starter with a hammer (gentle taps before you work up to a full on Homer type rage). :luigi:

I had a problem with a sticking solenoid on the starter, a few taps and it started fine (since been sorted).

other than that all I can think of (some of which have been covered) is relays, fuses, clutch switch wiring and checking any wires that go to the starter (unlikely but you can also check the righthand switchgear), if you have a multimeter you can check most of the circuit.

good luck, chances are its something simple :huh2:

Mal :helmet:

also make sure the switch on the kick stand is moving in and out.  apply some WD40.

67986[/snapback]

Switch moves freely. Added WD-40 . . . still doesn't start <_>

There's a notorious pair of bullet connectors under the tank at the front left-hand side of the frame that go to the clutch switch.  Myself, my Pal Dan ('04 LeMans) and many others on this forum have found that:

1.  If you cycle the handlebars stop-to-stop, this will often jostle 'em just enough to get enough current thru 'em so you can start. 

2.  If the above enables you to start, you can disconnect these connectors and cycle them a few times, fill with dielectric grease and lightly crimp 'em, and the problem won't be back. 

:luigi:

67320[/snapback]

Must one remove the tank to get to this pair of bullet connectors? :huh:

54215423-ca4d-028001E0-.jpg

Have you tried hitting the starter with a hammer (gentle taps before you work up to a full on Homer type rage). :luigi:

I had a problem with a sticking solenoid on the starter, a few taps and it started fine (since been sorted).

Mal  :helmet:

68195[/snapback]

Tried tapping starter . . . still won't start <_>

I've used a paper clip before between the connectors to the clutch that are located just at the point that they go under the front of the tank.  Held it in place just long enough to turn the key on.  It worked, now I keep a paper clip with me.

67929[/snapback]

Could you expound on this proceedure please. Not sure what you are talking about.

Guest ratchethack

Yes. They're further back under the tank. Bullet connectors are single-wire connectors. There are 2 of 'em and you can positively ID them by following the wires from the clutch switch.

Yes.  They're further back under the tank.  Bullet connectors are single-wire connectors.  There are 2 of 'em and you can positively ID them by following the wires from the clutch switch.

68911[/snapback]

Thanks. I'll give her a look see.

Cleaned and greased clutch bullet connectors . . . still won't start <_>

Switched all the relays arounds . . . still won't start <_>

Charged battery . . . still won't start, and now the headlight won't come on when I switch on the key <_>

Very frustrating.

54215423-ca4d-028001E0-.jpg

68905[/snapback]

The bullet connectors are under the tank about where your fingers are.

If you're back in town Phil, I can run on down and give you a hand.

The bullet connectors are under the tank about where your fingers are.

If you're back in town Phil, I can run on down and give you a hand.

68919[/snapback]

54221451-0e9e-028001E0-.jpg

Hey Carl. I found the connectors, cleaned them and added dielec grease. Guess that's not it.

Are you in town?