Ohlins Info & Part Numbers

belfastguzzi

Any clues to the differences between the scura forks and the later Guzzi factory fitted Ohlins?

About the only thing I have noted is that the Axle is different. On the newer it is hollow instead of solid, and it is a larger diameter on one side.

I also seem to recall all the click numbers are different.

Note how one of these manuals (the older one) says to 'ALWAYS have the spring in place' to take oil measurement and the other says to do it with spring out! Also the table in one shows that your 145 - 95 is off the chart  :o  (i.e. The level range shown goes from 150 to 190) while the other table indicates that it's in the middle of the range (80 to 110) ...

Belfast,

Did you measure air gap before draining? I measured 141mm w/o spring from stock. I checked w/ 2 Ohlins shops, both said 85mm air gap w/ springs in place (about same as I'd measured). That's how I came to it. I'll have another look at the manuals when I get a chance.

Cheers, KB :sun:

Any clues to the differences between the scura forks and the later Guzzi factory fitted Ohlins?...

I'm told the factory spec card shows no major difference :huh2: . The forks are OK really & may be same as later ones? The shock is the problem, being (IMV) too harshly damped over sudden bumps. Both ends came too softly sprung for heavier riders. Respring helps a lot. Dunno if later had stiffer springs as stock - that could explain better reaction from riders?

KB :sun:

Belfast, Manual 7282-04A (R1 on front) has changed since I first downloaded it 3 yrs ago. Then, it showed same air gap spec (80-110mm range) as other manual (07280-02). Now it shows range of much larger air gap.

As you say neither manual conforms exactly with our forks.

KB :sun:

Did you measure air gap before draining? I measured 141mm w/o spring from stock. I checked w/ 2 Ohlins shops, both said 85mm air gap w/ springs in place (about same as I'd measured).

86053[/snapback]

No. I measured the volume of fluid and there was 500ml, probably slightly more allowing for losses. That would give a level nearer the figure that you are talking about, as a level of 165mm doesn't use as much as 500ml.

• 1 year later...

Here is the Fork Spring Info (from the Ohlins Fork Manual):

OEM spring rate

4745-95, 9,5 N/mm

Optional springs:

4745-75, 7.5 N/mm (marking -75).

4745-80, 8.0 N/mm (marking -80).

4745-85, 8.5 N/mm (marking -85).

4745-90, 9.0 N/mm (marking -90).

4745-95, 9.5 N/mm (marking -95).

4745-10, 10.0 N/mm (marking -10).

4745-05, 10.5 N/mm (marking -05).

4745-11, 11.0 N/mm (marking -11).

Fork length:

730 mm.

Stroke:

120 mm.

Free spring length:

240 mm.

• 2 years later...

old thread, but has anyone tried a 1093 spring? It's 150mm, 10mm shorter.

I've been casually looking for a 1091 with no luck.

How would a 1093-36/105 work for a 220-lbs rider who carries the occasional passenger or camping gear?

The stock 1091-26/85 is definitely soft!

old thread, but has anyone tried a 1093 spring? It's 150mm, 10mm shorter.

I've been casually looking for a 1091 with no luck.

How would a 1093-36/105 work for a 220-lbs rider who carries the occasional passenger or camping gear?

The stock 1091-26/85 is definitely soft!

It should work well. I have a 110 on mine. I run it with 0 preload normally and with a little preload when on long trips carrying gear.