Any iron butts out there

orangeokie

I've done the 1000mile/24hrs and the 1500mile/36hr, both last fall. The 1000 miler should be no problem for most, and if prepared, the 15/36 no issues either. The only problem I had was having several near misses with dear including one of them blowing up in front of me from a pickup truck. I caution never to do an Iron Butt in September, the time of the year deer hits are statistically the most.

The 1500m/24hr would be tough. Avoid bigger groups, or if not, decide before you leave amongst yourselves that the stragglers must be left behind, no hard feelings. Efficiency at the gas stops is a must.

Three times now my brother and I have ridden home from Laguna Seca non stop, the last time 5:00am to 8:48pm, Salinas California to Surrey B.C.. The first two times we didn't hear of this Iron Butt thing, and because we knew we had done over 1000 miles in less than 16hrs, we thought we should make it official.

Ciao, Steve G.

I did 900 miles once, Bristol in the uk to Freiburg in Germany on the Tenni. It took about 18 hours, including 3 sitting on the boat. It was a real testament to the bike how little fatigued I was at the other end, the bike is a great tourer.

50cc..  bit tiring..  did it in 46hrs

68168[/snapback]

Dude, you win with this one.

I've done some long rides, but they were also long ago when I was young and didn't sleep. San Fran to Austin, 26 hours. Virginia Beach to Cape Canaveral (to watch a Shuttle take off) then to Austin- 60ish hours, but I took a nap.

Anymore, the longest I'll do is about an 800 mile day. I guess I could get up early and put in 200 more, but what's the point? I like sleep nowadays. And coffee.

Anyway- if you decide to run one of these, take some aspirin with you.

Please no offense intended... but I think the whole Iron Butt thing is silly...

I've done very close to their basic certs, and even talked about certifying the distance and riding an hour longer to meet them, but in the end decided I didn't need to impress anyone else or meet someone elses standards.

...so we just kept on riding.

A lot of these guys, especially for the higher certs, have specially outfitted bikes, etc... so it becomes just another "gear driven hobby", and there's nothing really wrong with that of course :rolleyes: .... but I dunno, something about the whole certification process irks me. Maybe it's all the goofy worthless certs that have floated around the computer industry since Novell's first Netware certs. :wacko:

I think if it seems like fun or important to you, go for it :thumbsup:

But the certs don't really impress me much... especially since many folks just identify the most efficient super-slab route, go one way half the distance, and ride back to make the distance/time. That sounds pretty silly/boring to me :huh2:

al

The USA Iron Butt rally was won a few years ago on an old Tonti Guzzi (may have been a LM1) ridden by a mad Brit.

I have never needed to do a 1000 miles a day although I have done 3000 in 6 days on my old Sporti Corsa which made me swap to a comfier Le Mans.

600 miles is my limit although I have done 300 enduro miles in a day several times which is a little harder depending upon the territory.

Guy :helmet:

The USA Iron Butt rally was won a few years ago on an old Tonti Guzzi (may have been a LM1) ridden by a mad Brit.

I have never needed to do a 1000 miles a day although I have done 3000 in 6 days on my old Sporti Corsa which made me swap to a comfier Le Mans.

600 miles is my limit although I have done 300 enduro miles in a day several times which is a little harder depending upon the territory.

Guy  :helmet:

68261[/snapback]

I'm kinda like you. Around 600 miles is a full day. I did a trip from Toledo Ohio to the Macinack bridge on the UP Michigan and back. I think that was somewhere between

600-700 miles. No problem really.

I did an estimate about 1350km last October from Italy to north Germany via long route 90% done on autobahn-superautostrada fast roads.With many stops that was a total of 15hours on the road.Won't do again passed through forest areas in night and was freaking cold (not really any anti-cold clothes in)

:helmet:

Please no offense intended... but I think the whole Iron Butt thing is silly... 

I've done very close to their basic certs, and even talked about certifying the distance and riding an hour longer to meet them, but in the end decided I didn't need to impress anyone else or meet someone elses standards.

...so we just kept on riding.

A lot of these guys, especially for the higher certs, have specially outfitted bikes, etc... so it becomes just another "gear driven hobby", and there's nothing really wrong with that of course  :rolleyes:    .... but I dunno, something about the whole certification process irks me.  Maybe it's all the goofy worthless certs that have floated around the computer industry since Novell's first Netware certs.  :wacko:

I think if it seems like fun or important to you, go for it  :thumbsup:

But the certs don't really impress me much...  especially since many folks just identify the most efficient super-slab route, go one way half the distance, and ride back to make the distance/time.  That sounds pretty silly/boring to me  :huh2:

al

68238[/snapback]

I guess it's a personal challenge thing Al. Much the same as a marathon/triathalon, or climbing a noted mountain.But I can't figure out why you give the hardcore guys slack, but don't give the rest of us weekend Iron Butt guys any slack. Would you be easier on us Al, if us 'wannabes' installed cathiters and retriever bottles like those hard core guys? :grin:

My daily riding distance average is tough to figure out, as I don't usually give myself a mileage goal. When touring, I usually ride until I've had enough, look at the GPS to find a next town with a hotel and good food/drink.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Steve_W

68261[/snapback]

It was an LM III, and it finished on one cylinder; ignition problem of some sort, IIRC.

I agree about the "personal challenge" aspect, and maybe my point wasn't clear.

What I don't get is the need to have it "certified", especially when the "certification" itself is somewhat of little value really. Anyone can ride one-time for 1000+ miles just to prove they can, but the most "hard core" riders probably put that kind of mileage on regularly(not me BTW) and could care less about a license plate frame :P

al

Well you guys talked me into and out of it a couple of times. :)

Then I remembered...the friggin' highway sucks. I'm no stranger

to 5-600mi days but even those are 90% back roads. Beers by a stream.

Slicing and dicing through the corners. A pretty waitress @ the pub.

When ever I can get away for 24hrs..... I'm doin' that. :2c: