riding a harley road king my experience

fernando

106 ???? At the wheel ?!

Naaaaaah...Really ?

69233[/snapback]

You dont need to spend that much on an HD motor to get over 100bhp- it has a lot of tuning potential.

I aint gonna bother cos I wanted a slow bike!

Guy :helmet:

I have to go with Badmoto on this one. :bier: The harely I want the way I want it? I could get that Ducati 999R, not the 999, the 999R!!! OR a Buell AND a cruiser from any said 'other' manufac. Sooo IF I get a harley it will be Used in as close to the way I want it setup as I can find and I'm guessing 10 years from now. If that happens. Maybe by then thier attitudes and engines will have changed for the better.... but thats HIGHLY unlikely.

PS anyone gets a chance look at 90% of thier 'leathers' I wouldn't want to take a spill with thier logo on me. :unsure:

Needing a good two up touring bike, I considered the Road King. My wife and I rented one for a day on vacation -nice ride! One of my riding buddies has an RK and it's not easy staying up with him on the Blue Ridge or Deal's Gap-the rider does make a difference.

I actually tried to by a few used ones but the owners owed too much on the loan and thus wanted too much. If you look at sold items on ebay you'll see what I mean.

I ended up with an R1150RT and it's a fine tourer. I would prefer the Norge but:

1. It's new and will certainly have some bugs

2. There is no close dealer and overall, when touring, the network is skimpy

3. I already have one Guzzi to worry about regarding the above.

The best thing is that my wife is letting me keep both bikes! :bier:

I own 2 bikes (both bought new).... a 1999 Road King and a 2003 V11 Naked. 'Nuff said.

69162[/snapback]

I have to agree with carl, andy, guzzirider and others.....have an 03 fatboy & 03 V11, I love them both for their own purposes in life.

Also nice to have unlimited aftermarket HD possibilities to customize to your heart's content. I too get annoyed by all the HD propoganda and labels...but also the other extreme of young squids with over powered crotch rockets wrapping themselves around telephone poles. Ride what you like and get over the perceptions and stigmas.

DenBen...I like your dream garage list but haven't experienced the hate that you speak of (then again, maybe I always wave first, ha ha)....In fact I find the old school HD guys have a lot of respect for Guzzis and their heritage. Oh...and my V11 Ti pipes are just as loud as my Harley...saving my life every time I lane split and smell the smog-filled roses here in L.A. :grin:

cheers

I haven't experienced any hate, No fingers flown or comments heard but they (not all just 2/3rds) are complete snobs OR don't even seem to care about bikes and are in for the image only as in drive 5mi park and stand near it sipping joe or sumptin good for HD bad for my point of view I love when I meet someone who has a goose HELL I ran into a guy and he's partly in charge of the local guzzi club and we rode over to his house and I checked out his sweet guzzi's he has an old Eldo BOX STOCK. haha some know what that means plus an old old indian with the same transverse inline wha the f ever engine developed for the army. Now if I have this same kind of problem with the large harley crowd I'm gonna meet mostly duche bags, or in this area hoighty toighties. And I can't have that. WHAT I do find funny is when you have the 'custom' hand built crowd and the harley guys get blown off :lol: I've kinda seen it happen. Persoanlly if you're on two wheels then youre in the same league and there is some comradship but it doesn't mean youre on my team

why ride a goose? 1-cause you live longer,2- get More Stamina, 3-impeccable communication skills.

1-waiting for parts gies you something to live for

2-all that wrenchin isn't gonna leave ya with noddle arms

3-what it takes to get anything done in MGNA and beyond

106 ???? At the wheel ?!

Naaaaaah...Really ?

69233[/snapback]

106hp. Yup, at over 1550cc, I guess if you Screamin' Eagled my 25yr old Briggs & Stratton lawn mower with a wheelbarrow of money, it could cut the grass faster.

Gosh it has to be over 20yrs ago, my brother and I found ourselves on my KZ750, and his LTD 750 Jappers. A big 'ol herd of Hardley Ablesons were headed our way. We were a bit cocky in those years. We both gave them the big middle finger salute, and the race was on. We zoomed around the back roads of Langley slowing down just so they thought they had a chance to gang up on us. After 1/2hr, we got bored, dropped a gear and were gone from their view in seconds. Pitifull things back then.

I've had the pleasure of riding an old flathead 45, and an old Indian 4. If I was told to buy nothing but a Milwaukie Mutt, it'd have to be one of these lovely old girls. These are classy, reliable, and really not that much slower than brand new ones today.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Britcheflee

My exec chef has a 'Low rider' - think that's what it is - he is a nice guy and there are a few of us at work who now own bikes - he has had his HD for years and has gradually put on all the chrome etc - looks nice, has had no problems with it as far as reliability and he has put some miles on it plus no problems with others riding with him - also have had no problems with other HD riders - there are some who dont wave, some who do - I have never ridden one so cannot say much about that but owing to cost I doubt I would have the opportunity - the only thing I have to say about them is that there are so many of them - I like my T and my Ballabio because they still have people looking at them - some wondering what they are plus they are a pleasure to ride. Personally I have the outlook that anyone else out there on a bike of any kind is a fellow rider until they prove themselves otherwise.

Lee

i am another of the people that own a guzzi 2003 v11 sport and a harley 2003 superglide sport. they are both very fine and very different machines. i had my harley motor built for more performance, 95 inch 110ft lbs and 106 hp at the wheel. it is nice to have a choice, for the twisties guzzi and for long distance  the harley express cruser. happy to have two bikes and i wave to everyone :thumbsup: andy b.

69213[/snapback]

then you must be one of the Good Guys :bier:

I'm sure motorcyclist are different all over the world just like everything else, even state to state in the US. But its hard to explain you'd have to see it to understand in the upper midwest its not so appealing that harley experience. :huh2:

I put alot of miles on my y2k Road King. Absolutely the finest distance road bike I have ever had. A few careful mods and I have 90 hp and 105 tq. More than adequate for 1000 mile days at the ton, with no aches or pains afterwards. 225 mile range. Only niggle is that after about 12 hours it get's kinda hot, so an oil cooler is my future.

Yes, I love my goose (and Ducs, and, and, and ...), but you gotta use the right tool for the job.

Can't speak much to the service and support issue though, I've never been broken down. Knock on wood. Lost a breather bolt once, but found a shop almost immediately and was on my way in a jif. HD shops are everywhere. Chevy parts often fit. Can't complain.

So far I have avoided putting fringe or chrome appliances on it.