New (and frustrated) guy

sctt2525

My first post here- Nice to meet you all!

It's time to do a fork oil change (Marz 43mm, I think) on My '04 Ballabio. I have been all over your tech section, and can't find clear instructions. Can somebody point me towards these?

I'm usually a pretty good wrench, but I've never done fork oil before and am a bit intimidated.

Having the local dealer do this is not an option.

Thanks all,

S

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first post here- Nice to meet you all!

It's time to do a fork oil change (Marz 43mm, I think) on My '04 Ballabio. I have been all over your tech section, and can't find clear instructions. Can somebody point me towards these?

I'm usually a pretty good wrench, but I've never done fork oil before and am a bit intimidated.

Having the local dealer do this is not an option.

Thanks all,

S

69379[/snapback]

Ditto docc's "Where..." & raise you re why dealer is not option?

Also, how many miles on that jewel or is something else requiring that service now? I don't have my manual here, can't recall service interval for that, had dealer do 6 & 12k, and am at 18K now. Hmmmmm. Mebbe I'd better learn this, too.

[Yo, docc, did you see that there is a new Guzzi dealer in Atlanta? I will stick with ATD cuz I like 'em, but having a choice is neat. http://www.atlantamotorworld.com/default.asp]

Thanks guys, I had already found that link though. I was hoping that somewhere I could find a more step by step, maybe with pics. There is a guy near here (Maryville BTW) that might can talk me through it.

I have not had a bad experience with my local dealer. I did drive to ATD to buy mine and save some $$$ though. I'm awfully cheap to have the dealer service.

You guys ever want to do the Dragon (20 min. from home here) let me know- comfy couch you can sleep on.

Docc- Where in middle TN?

S

Also- Bill,

I htink the manual says:

Fork oil change @ 1,000; Then every 12,000 or one year

S

69424[/snapback]

No way? really? I thought it was every 18K I think thats what my dealer told me but maybe they were thinking of another bike and figured close enough. It sucks too I had to have mine done because of a weeping seal last season at 6kmi and it was $330. Not outragous but not cheap either and it takes awhile. Call ahead so they can get the seals and not take so long with the downtime. :angry:

No way? really? I thought it was every 18K I think thats what my dealer told me but maybe they were thinking of another bike and figured close enough. It sucks too I had to have mine done because of a weeping seal last season at 6kmi and it was $330. Not outragous but not cheap either and it takes awhile. Call ahead so they can get the seals and not take so long with the downtime.  :angry:

69436[/snapback]

Wow my dealer & I did mine in an hour, he charged me something like $50.

Must be 18,000 km.

I'm about an hour south of Nashville in Lower Middle Muletown, er, Columbia. We have a 'non-stocking' dealer in Nashville but I do most my own service. The forks aren't bad to do just time consuming. Supporting the bike and measuring the oil are the two most difficult aspects.

You don't have a shop manual? Or Richardson's "Guzziology?" Both helpful when on a long term relationship with your Guzzi.

What happened to Destination Motorsports? Aren't they nearby?

Wow my dealer & I did mine in an hour, he charged me something like $50.

69468[/snapback]

I think I might need to find a new dealer for service then I am by no means a mechanic if someone showed me how I could do it otherwise I'd be really weary. Did you replace the seals? I think they charged me $50 for just the seals.

I think I might need to find a new dealer for service then I am by no means a mechanic if someone showed me how I could do it otherwise I'd be really weary. Did you replace the seals? I think they charged me $50 for just the seals.

69476[/snapback]

No I didnt replace the seals. I didnt even completely unscrew the tops off the forks. Just enough to drain/pump out the old oil & refill with new oil.

No I didnt replace the seals. I didnt even completely unscrew the tops off the forks. Just enough to drain/pump out the old oil & refill with new oil.

69481[/snapback]

I will look into that this spring I'm due for Engine, Tranny and bevel all new fluids. I read the manual cause I actually got one with my bike, ... its purdy and in about 7 languages it states every 6Kmi for oil and tranny every 12k for forks and some other stuff.

Docc,

Yup, Destination is here, I think they wanted about $300 for this. I bought a liter of Bel ray for $8. See?

I have a manual, but it seems a bit vague (covers too many year models) and the caps they picture are different from mine.

The main thing I'm after is what to do when the forks are off and in hand. I've been told to pump the forks and leave them hanging over night to drain completely. I guess the biggest question is how far must I disassemble?

Thanks guys

My recollection is : caps off, springs out.

Seems like ( in my early forks) the adjusting rods lift out as well.

399cde61.jpg

No,really! She likes being tied up like that! :)