110/70's on the front

Mr. Bean

Hi all,

Just had some new tires put on my Ballabio. The original M-1 Sportecs lasted about 7700 miles..not too bad from what I hear.

We decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Powers but ran into a snag after the new rear was already put on. Turns out the they thought they had a 120/70 in stock when in reality it was a 110/70. After going back and forth between riding it with the old Metzler on the front and Michelin on the back until a new 120 could arrive or going with the 110 I opted for the latter. I've only had the chance to ride it home but I noticed right away that the turn-in is WAY faster now. Is this the only change I should notice and is this related more to the tire size or simply the new tire brand?

Is this a bad idea to change the front tire size from what is spec'd by Guzzi? I've heard of changing the rear size to a 170 from a 180 but couldn't find any comments on the front tire. Just wondering if I should experience any bad handling or significant change in handling before I really start putting the new treads to a workout.

Randy

Guest mtiberio

I think the 110 is made for a 3" front rim. You have a 3.5" front rim. I'd demand my money and my old tire back. No problem mixing brands. 120/70x17 front tires are as common as dirt, you should have no problem finding one. Your dealer sounds like a shyster...

Hi all,

Just had some new tires put on my Ballabio.  The original M-1 Sportecs lasted about 7700 miles..not too bad from what I hear. 

We decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Powers but ran into a snag after the new rear was already put on.  Turns out the they thought they had a 120/70 in stock when in reality it was a 110/70.  After going back and forth between riding it with the old Metzler on the front and Michelin on the back until a new 120 could arrive or going with the 110 I opted for the latter.  I've only had the chance to ride it home but I noticed right away that the turn-in is WAY faster now.  Is this the only change I should notice and is this related more to the tire size or simply the new tire brand? 

Is this a bad idea to change the front tire size from what is spec'd by Guzzi?  I've heard of changing the rear size to a 170 from a 180 but couldn't find any comments on the front tire.  Just wondering if I should experience any bad handling or significant change in handling before I really start putting the new treads to a workout.

Randy

70239[/snapback]

I Agree with m tiberio, get a 120 , the 110 just aint right, and 120s are real easy to find.

I'll probably switch back to the 120 as I still have that option with the dealer.

Just for the record though, the dealer is anything but a "shyster." The only mistake they made is a typo on an inventory sheet. We discussed the details of the various options before I decided to go ahead with the 110. Apparantly they have quite a few v11 sport folks that specifically request the 110 front tire for the faster turn in it provides. I was just wondering if there were any other effects, negative or positive that I might see.

Randy

No expert me but....Can't see any benefits. Less unsprung weight?

Circumference will be smaller so you'll lose a little ground clearance. May be some loss of high speed stability, dunno - but bike is v stable to start with....

Rear is already overtyred w/180 & you're increasing the discrepancy between f & r turn-in. Front may turn quicker but you'll be making balance f/r worse. Would be interested to know what rear tyres/rims they're running - the people who prefer 110 front :huh2: .

Carcass will be stretched between beads more than 120 so will flatten profile a bit. Never had a definitive answer on this but it seems logical to me that you'd run off tread sooner. This is reason I stopped using 170 on 5.5" rim (170 on rear improves turn-in & balance hugely).

KB :sun:

No expert me but....Can't see any benefits. Less unsprung weight?

Circumference will be smaller so you'll lose a little ground clearance. May be some loss of high speed stability, dunno - but bike is v stable to start with....

Rear is already overtyred w/180 & you're increasing the discrepancy between f & r turn-in. Front may turn quicker but you'll be making balance f/r worse. Would be interested to know what rear tyres/rims they're running - the people who prefer 110 front :huh2:

Carcass will be stretched between beads more than 120 so will flatten profile a bit. Never had a definitive answer on this but it seems logical to me that you'd run off tread sooner. This is reason I stopped using 170 on 5.5" rim (170 on rear improves turn-in & balance hugely).

KB :sun:

70354[/snapback]

The narrower tire will certainly quicken the turn-in, as will the slight decrease in steering head angle and trail that result from the smaller diameter. As long as the manufacturer spec's that tire for your 3.5" rim and you like the increased manouverability/decreased stability it's just a personal call.