Bitubo steering damper question

bigbikerrick

The bitubo damper on my 02.5 naked is now actually dripping oil from the right side. It always had slight seepage on both ends, but now it actually is dripping on the floor and scared the piss out of me as after a ride the oil was on the front of the timing chest( I thought my gasket had blown) Ive heard before, that the bitubos are a piece of shit. whats the best approach? can they be re-sealed/taken apart? I cant afford to replace it with an ohlins unit right now, any other more inexpensive solutions? :(

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bitubo damper on my 02.5 naked is now actually dripping oil from the right side. It always had slight seepage on both ends, but now it actually is dripping on the floor and scared the piss out of me as after a ride the oil was on the front of the timing chest( I thought my gasket had blown) Ive heard before,   that the bitubos are a piece of shit. whats the best approach? can they be re-sealed/taken apart? I cant afford to replace it with an ohlins unit right now, any other more inexpensive solutions?

Perhaps an inexpencive solution would be to take it to an experienced schok repair person and try finding some seals from the market.Since there are no available seals from the company.

I had the same problem and the damper is lying around here now, I have replaced mine on my Sport ie with the 1508 S90 R/STD from WP , has 32 settings and gas tank,quite satisfied ,dunno if it will fit yours, you just have to measure the dimensions of the stroke and go to a dealer to find out, the match I found wasn't exactly but very close 5-6mm or so (if I recall correct.)

Try riding the bike with out it , for everyone and the place and way he -she rides is a different feel, if not having one doesn't make a difference or is O.K. then don't install another, it may save you some costs.

I have mine turned all the way off too. I've tried using it in higher speed turns but the bike doesnt really need it that much. I think Guzzi put it on because any bike coming out of Europe for that much $$$ has good suspension front & back. If it was 30 lbs lighter & had 30 more horses I'd say it would be alot more necessary. :2c:

I have mine turned all the way off too. I've tried using it in higher speed turns but the bike doesnt really need it that much. I think Guzzi put it on because any bike coming out of Europe for that much $$$ has good suspension front & back. If it was 30 lbs lighter & had 30 more horses I'd say it would be alot more necessary. :2c:

70531[/snapback]

I could notice an improvement in stability in high speed curves when the road is a little rough, I would give it say 5-7 clicks towards the hard setting and the front end would settle down nicely. Real confidence inspiring.

Hyperpro make dampers and they list fitting kits for the V11. When my Bitubo packs in I will get one of theirs. I do use my damper, but then I have a "short frame". The genuine Aprilia free original V11 in green as ridden by true aficionados......

I still think the suspension on any of the V11 models can be set up in such a manner to render a steering dampener completly uneascary. Correct spring rates and static sags for a bike works wonders.

I've seen adds in the local magazine that the importer offers rebuild kits for Bitubo products might be worth chasing it up. Or maybe get one off someone who has removed thiers.

Hyperpro make dampers and they list fitting kits for the V11. When my Bitubo packs in I will get one of theirs. I do use my damper, but then I have a "short frame". The genuine Aprilia free original V11 in green as ridden by true aficionados......

70549[/snapback]

Hear hear, greenies rule indeed. I dont use my damper at all, but obviously Greenie pilots are made out of concrete and chrome-moly steel (as opposed to scuristi which consist solely of dark smoke). Or is it it that I just drive cowardly slow?

Actually on my last trip I experienced tendencies of wobbling on tuff surfaces, so in spring I'll turn it two clicks tighter. I would indeed replace the damper if it blew. Hyperpro is noted.

Hear hear, greenies rule indeed. I dont use my damper at all, but obviously Greenie pilots are made out of concrete and chrome-moly steel (as opposed to scuristi which consist solely of dark smoke). Or is it it that I just drive cowardly slow?

Actually on my last trip I experienced  tendencies of wobbling on tuff surfaces, so in spring I'll turn it two clicks tighter. I would indeed replace the damper if it blew. Hyperpro is noted.

70556[/snapback]

Is Hyperpro a brand of aftermarket replacement dampers that fit our bikes? Thanks.

70549[/snapback]

Thanks, you have answered my "hyperpro" question, BTW what did aprilia do to screw up the "pure bloodline" of the V 11 sport? HeHe. I must admit , the original "greenies" sure are handsome bikes, and "muy Italiano" :mg:

BTW what did aprilia do to screw up the "pure  bloodline" of the V 11 sport?  HeHe. I must admit , the original "greenies" sure are handsome bikes, and "muy Italiano" :mg:

70566[/snapback]

Probably nothing, but it's a good wind up! Just waiting for a bite! :grin:

IMHO the greenie is the pure bred V11 though. After that, Guzzi / Aprilia took the badge engineered "limited edition" idea out to the limit of credibility. I guess the Scura is that limit!

The bitubo damper on my 02.5 naked is now actually dripping oil from the right side. It always had slight seepage on both ends, but now it actually is dripping on the floor and scared the piss out of me as after a ride the oil was on the front of the timing chest( I thought my gasket had blown) Ive heard before,  that the bitubos are a piece of shit. whats the best approach? can they be re-sealed/taken apart? I cant afford to replace it with an ohlins unit right now, any other more inexpensive solutions?  :(

70502[/snapback]

Not to beat this topic to death, but today I noticed my bitubo damper has a circlip on the left end, has anyone attempted to disassemble this unit and perhaps see what kind of seals it has? Maybe its just a couple of O rings that we need to replace, or some other commonly available seal??  Is there anyone that has a defective unit laying around that is willing to experiment, or should I be the Guinea pig? HeHeHe. :cheese:  :luigi:

Not to beat this topic to death, but today I noticed my bitubo damper has a circlip on the left end, has anyone attempted to disassemble this unit and perhaps see what kind of seals it has? Maybe its just a couple of O rings that we need to replace, or some other commonly available seal??  Is there anyone that has a defective unit laying around that is willing to experiment, or should I be the Guinea pig? HeHeHe.   

70616[/snapback]

If the damper is leaking it is surely knackered, so you have nothing to lose by opening it up. When I thought mine had gone (turned out to be a loose rosejoint in the triple clamp) I found that the Hyperpro and some others were about the same price as a new Bitubo. So, you either manage without the damper, or buy another at around £150. Either way up, what you have now is just scrap, so get that circlip out, get your camera out, and we await some entertainment!

If the damper is leaking it is surely knackered, so you have nothing to lose by opening it up. When I thought mine had gone (turned out to be a loose rosejoint in the triple clamp) I found that the Hyperpro and some others were about the same price as a new Bitubo. So, you either manage without the damper, or buy another at around £150. Either way up, what you have now is just scrap, so get that circlip out, get your camera out, and we await some entertainment!

70619[/snapback]

Ahhhh, I was afraid someone would say that! Well my didital camera is in the shop getting repaired(camera repair shops are worse for parts availability than MG) , but I do have a good pair of circlip pliers... :grin::homer:

Ahhhh, I was afraid someone would say that! Well my didital camera is in the shop getting repaired(camera repair shops are worse for parts availability than MG) , but I do have a good pair of circlip pliers... :grin:  :homer:

70620[/snapback]

That's the spirit! Is it worth repairing cameras? I keep seeing ads for 4 megapixel ones for less than £100 these days!