fails to start -

Tim

Apologies for the delay - I only just got round to refitting the battery and - hey presto it fired straight into life.

my diagnosis?? I'd say damp and a battery on the margins/slowed down by cold conditions. I'll see how the battery performs in the future...its days may be numbered though.

Whack some Bataid in. This will help a battery that has suffered discharge. You won't get all your capacity back but it will extend its life.

Let the smart-alec remarks begin......

Whack some Bataid in.  This will help a battery that has suffered discharge.  You won't get all your capacity back but it will extend its life.

Let the smart-alec remarks begin......

71421[/snapback]

Aren't our batteries sealed gel filled things? (I've never looked - well paid attention)

I'm not sure they're actually gel. I was told "absorbed glass mat." :huh2:

And "Bataid?" What is it? :huh2:  :huh2:

71441[/snapback]

Bataid is a miracle pill that you stick in the dead battery, and then charge for a day or two and the battery will revive. I used it to resurrect the old battery from a Morris Minor that had stood discharged for 3 years back in 1980 as a poor student. It really did work, and I used that old battery for a further 2 years before it expired. I also used it to revive two neglected 6 volt MZ bike batteries with 100% success.

It only works on sulphated batteries, not on those that are damaged by disintegrated plates or cells shorted by sediment or warping, and it only works on the old style liquid electrolyte batteries that you have to top up.

It is a cure for an otherwise good battery you left on the garage shelf for a year or 3 without charging it.