Veglia speedo, "clocking" forwards after repair

robbiekb

Hi all,

So it's time to register my 3 year old bike in california. only one problem, my speedo only shows 7050 miles when the actual mileage is closer to 9000. Why do i care about this ? Well for one, California decides that if my bike is under 7500 miles then it must be new and thus the hunt for the emissions sticker that i'm sure is no longer there being that it's a 3 year old bike that i rode every day in Seattle would begin.

I have to register 5 vehicles simultaneously which is a monumental pain in my ass so i'd prefer this particular registration to go as easily as possible, especially given that i had to spend a whole summer riding sans speedometer while waiting for the part last year, so i don't feel in the slightest ethically challenged for having my bike show whats closer to the correct mileage.

Any suggestions ?

Robbie

oh wish i'd known that i could do that with AAA. I just spent 6 hours at the dmv :)

so i would go for a long ride but the bike is currently off the road with some FI issues and ignition problems. hmmm power drill you say ? :)

Robbiekb,

1st problem, AAA in California will not register an out of state vehicle, been there.

2nd problem, if I remember correctly, the speedo cable turns counter clockwise, so you will need a reversable drill. 2nd problem to problem number 2 is the speedo cable turns very fast, it will take a week to get that kind of mileage to show with a normal drill.

3rd problem, Palo Alto speedo service is expensive. It will cost you at least $100. for them to open up the speedo. And they may not have the correct bezel to reassemble the speedo with.

Best solution is to borrow someones higher mileage speedo, have it registered and then return the speedo with a case of beer. :bier: You could borrow mine, but it only has 4033 miles on it.

Mike

oh wish i'd known that i could do that with AAA. I just spent 6 hours at the dmv :)

so i would go for a long ride but the bike is currently off the road with some FI issues and ignition problems. hmmm power drill you say ? :)

71148[/snapback]

Guest ratchethack

Roger the PA Speedo high cost of doing business, Mike. But their rep. and cust. sat. are high. By my experience, they do superb work and stand by it.

RE: Not having the correct bezel in stock for the white-face Veglia Borletti clocks - They indicated this "might be" a problem in my case, but in fact they had them in stock when I needed one, and shipped me a spare with an entirely new tach about a year ago to replace the original that they wound up not being able to fix. They had also shipped me a "loaner" VDO tach, and I wound up putting considerable miles on it...

Robbie, I wouldn't speculate on their willingness to work on your speedo for the purpose of putting more mileage on it, nor would I speculate on the cost, but it couldn't hurt to ask. I reckon they'd know exactly what's required. You might even get some valuable free advice. B)

You guys all rule :)

i have to drop the bike by mark etheridge before i can take it for inspeciton anyways so maybe he can think of something. I just want the mileage to accurately reflect what i actually have on the bike.

As for the emissions sticker.... i had a look for it a month ago and it's pretty badly shredded

You guys all rule :)

i have to drop the bike by mark etheridge before i can take it for inspeciton anyways so maybe he can think of something. I just want the mileage to accurately reflect what i actually have on the bike.

As for the emissions sticker.... i had a look for it a month ago and it's pretty badly shredded

71160[/snapback]

I like Mike's idea.

I have a box of crapped speedos.

Will look in the am, you can have one for 1/2 the going rate(12-pack, German or Dutch preferred).