Valve cover replacement

Guest ckamin

Guest ratchethack
Blow clean the oil passages in the rocker spindles.

Check the wear on the rocker pads that press open the valves. If there is wear, draw-file them flat and polish with fine sandpaper or buff them.

Check for wear on the tops of valve stems. Drawfile them flat, if necessary.

Yeah, that's the kinda stuff I'm lookin' for. I might've missed blowing out the oil passages in the rocker spindles. Thanks again, Greg! :luigi:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack
Isn't that just the oil blowing by the cover gaseket, down the threads and out of a tapping hole or out of porous heads?

Solution, new gasket????

Greg said, "and gravity will carry any oil that leaks to the outboard side of the head." and Ratchet's leak is on the inboard side. :wacko:

Dave, this is makin' me crazy. It isn't coming from the rocker-cover gasket joint, and it isn't coming from the oil line fitting joint.

I won't know for sure until I get the heads off, but the porous casting theory is startin' to look more'n more ominous lately... :o

I can't imagine that a tapping hole would have come close enough to the outside of the head casting to be the culprit?! :huh2:

But it might be that a tapping hole found a casting void and/or porosity that's close to the outside of the head... :huh2:

EDIT: I just took a peek from the underside of this mess with the aid of a tiny dental mirror - which I have in a rack aobve my workbench with dozens of other goofy implements for just these kinds of things.....:nerd:

Dave! Now I understand what I think you meant... The rocker cover screws thread into holes that exit the head under the 2nd cooling fin - they're not blind holes after all. If oil is leaking past the valve cover gasket into the threaded hole (see photo), this could explain it! :homer:

Many thanks!

Dave!  Now I understand what I think you meant...  The rocker cover screws thread into holes that exit the head under the 2nd cooling fin - they're not blind holes after all.  If oil is leaking past the valve cover gasket into the threaded hole (see photo), this could explain it! :homer:

Hope you are right, as it will be much easier to fix (probably) than a porous casting. I never did get all of the leaks fixed on mine.

mike