Bad Pinking

dangerous

Went for a spin over some local roads last w/e and for the 1st time noticed some bad engine pinking..... even from 4000 and 5000rpm it still does it, I use 91 octain like the book says, any ideas why this has just become??? I cant see that the timing has ultered..... ??? :luigi:

ps: the bikes just done over 4000km

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine pings too and I am not sure why.

Timing is fixed, but the timing chain slackens with accumulated experience.

But you only have 4000KM.

I don't think it is Global Warming or Al Queda, although anything is possible.

State of tune is key.

Valves adjusted.

Throttle bodies balanced.

TPS set.

Spark plugs gapped.

That is about all you can do other than rebuilding the engine or remapping the fueling and timing.

I mapped out my pinging, but now my fuel consumption is way up to 30MPG(US) from about 35MPG.

There are many options for re-mapping. I am using TuneBoy.

Maybe some other people have other ideas about reducing pinging.

Has anyone tried pulling the fuel injectors out and cleaning them?????

Went for a spin over some local roads last w/e and for the 1st time noticed some bad engine pinking..... even from 4000 and 5000rpm it still does it, I use 91 octain like the book says, any ideas why this has just become??? I cant see that the timing has ultered..... ??? :luigi:

73757[/snapback]

Fuel in New Zealand is rated differently to USA Octane ratings. You should be using 96 or 98 Premium petrol for your V11 in New Zealand.

Fuel in New Zealand is rated differently to USA Octane ratings.  You should be using 96 or 98 Premium petrol for your V11 in New Zealand.

73780[/snapback]

Here is an interesting article suggesting that beginning January 1st, 96 octane got downgraded to 95 octane.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU0508/S00519.htm

and more from BP

http://www.bp.co.nz/about/Changes%20to%20N...fuel%20spec.htm

In any case I think Kiwi Dave is right that you should be using higher than 91Octane

Agreed higher octane needed. Petrol in NZ shoud be about the same as Aust I only run 95 or 98 and on hot days sometimes still get a small amount of ping. If you can get it try adding some Nulon PRO Strength octane booster it will stop the pinging some octane boosters will not. Works great in my SCURA, the Rosso does not really seem to need it though.

Guest Nogbad
Agreed higher octane needed. Petrol in NZ shoud be about the same as Aust I only run 95 or 98 and on hot days sometimes still get a small amount of ping. If you can get it try adding some Nulon PRO Strength octane booster it will stop the pinging some octane boosters will not. Works great in my SCURA, the Rosso  does not really seem to need it though.

73785[/snapback]

Stuff the environment, you want some of this: Real LEAD additive

I'd run the tank down a bit and top it up with the best you can find from a main line petrol station that runs through a lot of fuel.

See if perhaps it was just a lousy supply of stale fuel.

Highest octane you can get....until the pinging stops.

Sounds loke NZ ratings are different.

I run 91 US. When it gets hot out 93. 89 is no good.

Sounds like NZ 91 is = to 89 US

73813[/snapback]

As a guess, I reckon NZ 91 is equivalent to USA 87 octane.

73757[/snapback]

Perhaps your bike is a little carboned up from slow running in town? my V 11 did ping when I got it with 3K miles from the previous owner. I put some seafoam in the tank and ran it hard ,then replaced the plugs. since then I run 87 octane regular unleaded with zero pinging. also I run her always above 3K rpms, these bikes dont like to be lugged. JMHO. :)

I mapped out my pinging, but now my fuel consumption is way up to 30MPG(US) from about 35MPG.

I had an occasional pingin' when I had faulty intake valves. No more pinging after replacement.I runn a 95-98 Octane gas. And yes my milage is about yours

but I have that concidered as a problem cause it used to be better (before and after installing the exaust) Obvioulsy mileage was, much better with original exaust set up (open crossover though)

Now it ranges to 32-34 in town driving.Used to be about 39 and with the previus exausts about 44mpg.

I guess it has to do perhaps with cold atmosphere conditions Read here.

Perhaps global warming is good for the Guzzi :D.Let me do a few bur-outs to contribute to that :P:lol: