A question.......

Frenchbob

Can someone please give me the idiot's guide to V11 cans? The one I want is the one for old farts who understand only carburettors and points ignition.

I need to know what the best cans are for running on an otherwise standard V11, without having to alter anything else. At the end of last year I modified my standard MG silencers by drilling holes in the end plates as suggested on this forum, somewhere. The bike goes just as well, there is slightly more exhaust noise, but a rather flat note and more surge on/off throttle. I may be able to eradicate the surge by tuning the throttle bodies [which I've done before following excellent advice from another thread on here] but I want more tuneful exhausts! The predominant noise at the moment is still from the gears.

Mistral make pretty cost effective cans- H has them on her V11. Hers are E marked (bought s/h from DVH from this forum) but the welds holding in the baffles break with a bit of filing and tapping then they are identical to the naughty race pipes but still have an e mark. We have not made any adjustments to the bike since I fitted the pipes and it runs fine and sounds bassy without being too offensive.

Here is their website http://www.mistralspecialparts.it/motoguzzi.html

You can buy them from Agostinis, Corsa Italiana or Motomecca. I bought the pipes for my Rosso Corsa from Agostinis because it was the best deal at the time, even taking into account the cost for UPS delivery but its worth shopping around.

Guy :helmet:

Mistral make pretty cost effective cans- H has them on her V11.

You can buy them from Agostinis, Corsa Italiana or Motomecca. I bought the pipes for my Rosso Corsa from Agostinis because it was the best deal at the time, even taking into account the cost for UPS delivery but its worth shopping around.

Guy  :helmet:

Ι second that (count third vote) for both Mistrals and Agostini's.

And something more that perhaps you don't know about Mistrals.

The people who make them are people who woked with Lafranconi for years , so I think there is some Guzzi know how and experience :luigi: put into them :thumbsup:

AFAIK their models are made to substitute originals and fit Guzzis O.K. right out of the box.

Agostini is simply Great.!!

Cheers :bier:

Guest ckamin

I got my M4's from either Harper's or MPH (I forget) but the service was great, the parts are great (fit/finish), and the sound is great.

-Carl

Thanks, guys. Mistrals it is, then. Probably from Motomecca, since I have dealt with them over the years for bits on older Guzzis and I know they'll spend time on the phone and take care with the order to make sure things are right.

Interesting, Alex, that the people who make them worked for Lafranconi. I have period Lafranconis on my S3, God knows how old, I have refinished them twice, and they're still sound.

My dealer recommended Mistrals, too, but I wanted to hear it from the blokes who know.

Cheers,

Bob

In my guesstimated opinion, drilling the muffler will not change the breathing much, but will increase the noise.

Staintunes claim not to need fuelling adjustment, but I don't know how loud they are., but the noise can be made louder with the removal of a baffle.

But Mistrals sound the best, in my not so humble opinion.

I'd like to advertise the MG Titan cans. Quite pricey, but easy and straightforward, nice racy sound and the extra Titan-ECU adresses all kinds of problems. Transfomed my bikes behaviour and made it much more tractable AND faster. Get it while it still is made.

If the bike already has a Power Commander or something like that, I'd go for Mistrals.

Thanks everyone. I now have some ideas to work on. It still sounds as though Mistrals might be my best option, as I said. But those MG titanium ones do look the part, don't they? I'm also going to have to stop being lazy and learn something about ECUs, I can see.

For the moment I have a very dirty Armstrong to clean. Couldn't resist the ride today, but the lanes round about are appalling, or lovely and muddy, depending on what you think your dirt bike is for!