Spoke wheels for V11

Admin Jaap

• 8 years later...

A few of you were asking about weight. Translating from their own webpage:

FRONT WHEEL

The original cast wheel weighs 13.1kg, the spoked wheel weighs 14.9kg

REAR WHEEL

original cast wheel 18kg and the spoked item weighs 18.1kg

...so the front IS some margin heavier. So the front wheel feel more planted/stable/slower steering. Not necessarily a bad thing - in my case I have a set of handlebar risers fitted with a nice wide flat handlebar for an upright riding position and it gives me some extra leverage compared to the clip ons.

I have the Alpina tubeless wheels on my bike.... WOW ! expensive ? Outrageous ! Righteous ? Off the charts !

Will the tires  go flat immediately when punctured ? Yes , so will my car ,truck , SUV .  

I have the Alpina tubeless wheels on my bike.... WOW ! expensive ? Outrageous ! Righteous ? Off the charts !

Will the tires  go flat immediately when punctured ? Yes , so will my car ,truck ,S UV .

There is a BIG conference between going flat gradually by puncture, and going almost instantly flat as tubes in non airtight rims do. I've never had a blowout in a car but flat tubes on scooters is like the movie scene. You don't get a period of hinky handling warning you to stop, you get a bloodcurdling fright. Maybe your rims are somewhat airtight, you better hope so.

Things must be different in New Zealand than the United States ?

Here I ride meeting all kinds of distracted nuts and maniacs .

They keep me distracted from worrying about tire problems .

I've had both tubed and tubeless tyres go flat both slowly and instantly, the only thing that really terrifies me is a tyre peeling off the rim and that only seems to happen on high profile tyres with soft sidewalls (like my transalp front running a tkc 80 on a dessert trip...scary stuff at 140 k's) .  A couple of months ago the back on my guzzi went flat in a corner- literally a cut through the tyre - she felt a bit wobbly whenever we got under 80 k's,  but I was still able to ride her home (50 k's). Sure, it's a bit scary sharing the road with tractors on these days....but not the sort of thing that'd stop me running sexy wheels.

Things must be different in New Zealand than the United States ?Here I ride meeting all kinds of distracted nuts and maniacs . They keep me distracted from worrying about tire problems .

The sun goes right to left in the sky down here.

I haven't ever had a catastrophic tubeless failure, but enough scary tube ones to raise a caution flag.

I had a front tire go flat on my 440 dirt bike. It was only after I had picked myself and the bike up that I realized why I fell. It was instant loss of air from the tube.

I have had flat tires with tubeless tires, there is usually some warning although when the tire comes apart there is no warning tubeless or tube.

There are plenty of SuperMoto guys out there who have converted their tube style rims to tubeless. As long as the bead area of the rim supports a tubeless bead seal you can make the conversion work.

It also allows you to plug the tire in an emergency without the extra work required to repair a tube. That alone makes me a fan as I do tend to ride in the middle of nowhere.

this ugly patch got me off a dangerous freeway w/not much shoulder, and had enough air from the 6 CO2 cartridges to make it home. the nail I pulled is just pricked on there for illustration.

IMG_0500_zps3ac132b0.jpg