Ferracci piston kit

staedtler

I'm thinking of getting one of those...

193_large.jpg

so far, on my 03 sport, i have the fbf air box lid, M4 pipes, Stucci x-over, power comm w/custom map... i guess if i get the kit, i'll have to modify the map...(that's ok ).

So,... anyone have any experience with that piston kit? is it worth going through the trouble? does it generate more torque...or rev faster?

(you know how addictive this is!)

thanks for any insights.... :thumbsup:

I heard helicopter jim has this.

whacha got to say jim?

all I know is I'd like to buy them put some tool oil on'em seal them in some airtight container and install them down the road when my rings need to be replaced or something of the sort. :P:

I am going to buy some FBF high comp pistons next week- I'll let you know how I get on.

I will save big valves and headwork for next winter.

Once the new high comp pistons are fitted I will get a my PC111 USB map tweaked on the dyno and post the results.

Exchanged a few PMs with Helicopter Jim- he is happy with them.

Guy :helmet:

The FBF kit has been well received, and many V11 Sport/EV owners have installed them.

But(and I don't mean this negatively), one should also consider the Mike Rich kit, as he also specializes in Guzzi solutions(as well as others). Mike is very knowledgeable, and of course has his opinions.

But I think any potential buyer would be well served to call both FBF and Mike Rich and get their feedback on their respective kits and make your own conclusions.

Both kits are great, and I've heard nothing but good things from those that have installed either.

Fast by Ferracci:

http://www.ferracci.com/

Mike Rich Motorsports:

http://www.mikerichmotorsports.com/

http://www.mikerichmotorsports.com/MGproducts.htm

al

* Disclaimer: I am a "Mike Rich" shop, and all my major mods have been supplied from Mike: High Comp Pistons, Cam, TiN valves, valve springs/retainers, Dual-plugged heads :P

I'll pass on here what I sent to Guy, plus maybe a few other things I can remember.

I have had the FBF pistons for 3 years now. I have enjoyed them the entire time and really have not had any problem at all with them.

The FBF pistons do not (to me) make a big difference on top end. Where they make the most difference is the mid range, 4000 to 6500 rpm. The motor is much more responsive. When riding with other V11's my bike has a much greater reaction time during roll-on's and initially accellerates quicker. I don't believe it has any more horsepower on the top end but definitely in the midrange. As Steve G has seen it is quite easy to wheely my bike. I hope to get some dyno time happening this spring and invite other V11 guys so we can compare maps from the same dyno.

I don't have any problems with detonation. I always use the best grade fuel i can get. The few times I have had to use lower grade fuel I just use an old trick from piston aircraft pilots. Keep the rpm's up and the manifold pressure down. This means I ride the bike at minimum 4000 rpm and don't twist the throttle too hard. I have only had it ping when I forgot to do this (on low grade fuel).

The installation is straightforward and only takes a few hours. The first noticeable difference is the exhaust note is quite a bit sharper. When I first installed the pistons I had a Mistral crossover which helped the midrange quite a bit. I later switched to a Stucchi srossover which is better for top end power. The boost in midrange from the pistons more than compensates for the Mistral crossover.

I also added the FBF stainless valves. I have not noticed any benefit but they are shaped a little different and are supposed to last longer.

Another benefit of the FBF pistons is when cruising I get another 20 to 30 km from a tank full of fuel. I also can get quite a bit less when twisting the throttle a lot.

I am very pleased with the FBF pistons.

rossofbf0243zm.jpg

rossofbf0200bs.jpg

The Mike Rich pistons look good but are about a $100 more than the FBF- maybe his are better and deserve to be priced that way.

I am still going for FBF- Wiseco have a good reputation and I am trying to keep the costs down bearing in mind I will need some more dyno time.

Guy :helmet:

The Mike Rich pistons look good but are about a $100 more than the FBF- maybe his are better and deserve to be priced that way.

Guy  :helmet:

Anyone knows what are these Mike Rich pistons? What about Cosworth. don't they make anything for our Guzzis, or other forged ones on the market? Are these Feraccis forged? (same goes about Mike's)

And since the can of worms is opened , yes there are the titanium valves and puschrods, are they a healthier conversion than other steel one kits (on the valves ) I mean. Weight is gained along with what can this bring to performace , as well titanium is antimagnetic as well, so let me hear your opinions :nerd: here on this

:bier:

Anyone knows what are these Mike Rich  pistons? What about Cosworth. don't they make anything for our Guzzis, or other forged ones on the market? Are these Feraccis forged? (same goes about Mike's)

And since the can of worms is opened , yes there are the titanium valves and puschrods, are they a healthier conversion than other steel one kits (on the valves ) I mean. Weight is gained along with what can this bring to performace , as well titanium is antimagnetic as well, so let me hear your opinions  :nerd: here on this

:bier:

75043[/snapback]

Just give Mike a call, or drop him an email, and he will be happy to talk to you at length about his products, and general performance upgrade options. He has years and years in the business building engines, flow-bench testing/porting, for some big outfits, but now just does custom work and kits for MG and such.

http://www.mikerichmotorsports.com/

Mike has great customer service, is very happy to sit on the phone and work out problems, and even sent new rings ASAP to my shop when they broke a few installing my pistons during the engine rebuild.

BTW: Mike had worked closely with the "Cooked Goose" Land Speed Record team, which is how I found out about him. www.cookedgoose.org

al