Unmelodic Harmonic Vibrations

Bill Hagan

My Ballabio has a painful-to-hear/feel vibration in the 3.9 - 4.1K range in most gears. Probably has it in all, but is VERY noticeable in 3 and 4th, as speeds are moderate at that point in those. Embarrassing in moto crowds. :huh:

Anyway, hard to duplicate in static conditions, but pretty well narrowed it down to the rear end of the crossover leading to the cans.

These are aftermarket (FBF & Stucchi crossover. Dealer apparently removed the California-spec canister when installed.

So, was looking at a stock V11, and noticed the canister. Compared to mine where nothing is there, and looked at a modifed Scura, which had a homemade connecter with rubber bushings.

I post three pics. The first is the Scura's setup. The next two are of mine, i.e., toothless gap.

Anybody had this before and made similar fix, i.e., have dimensions, etc.?

Here's the url. No need to sign up even tho it appears you must. Just light up first pic.

http://urlsnip.com/817525

Thanks.

Bill

Anyway, hard to duplicate in static conditions, but pretty well narrowed it down to the rear end of the crossover leading to the cans.

These are aftermarket (FBF & Stucchi crossover.  Dealer apparently removed the California-spec canister when installed.

So, was looking at a stock V11, and noticed the canister.  Compared to mine where nothing is there, and looked at a modifed Scura, which had a homemade connecter with rubber bushings.

I post three pics.  The first is the Scura's setup.  The next two are of mine, i.e., toothless gap.

Thanks.

Bill

The first pic isn't modified ,so it is made from "mama" Guzzi.The others I have not seen but if you ain't got it then go for it.\

I have to install it on my Sporti too (different one) I have vibrations drings and drangs in idle and it is annoying (also Mistral but I doupt it's cause of that, rather than from the parts that are missing)).I ordered the parts but didn't get the teflon females that attach to the studs, costy at over 22Eur each and needed thre,...no thanks I'll make mine. :doh:

Bill,

You are missing the U bracket and insulators. The Stucchi crossover came with there own U bracket that would clear the bends. Looked kind of like a U but with more of a V shape at the bottom to clear the crossover. I have a stock U bracket that I can send to you so you can get the correct dimensions if needed.

Mike

My Ballabio has a painful-to-hear/feel vibration in the 3.9 - 4.1K range in most gears.  Probably has it in all, but is VERY noticeable in 3 and 4th, as speeds are moderate at that point in those.  Embarrassing in moto crowds.  :huh:

These are aftermarket (FBF & Stucchi crossover.  Dealer apparently removed the California-spec canister when installed.

So, was looking at a stock V11, and noticed the canister.  Compared to mine where nothing is there, and looked at a modifed Scura, which had a homemade connecter with rubber bushings.

I post three pics.  The first is the Scura's setup.  The next two are of mine, i.e., toothless gap.

Anybody had this before and made similar fix, i.e., have dimensions, etc.?

Here's the url.  No need to sign up even tho it appears you must.  Just light up first pic.

Thanks.

Bill

75251[/snapback]

Bill, can't get the pics to open on my dial up...price for living in the boonies...but concur with Mike that your Stucchi should have a hanger/insulator. Obtw, when I installed my Stucchi (with hanger/insulator) it too set up a vibration, which I later traced to the pipe being too close to the sidestand rest. k

• 3 weeks later...

OK, am back to this problem again, after having been sidetracked by needing new battery on EV (not bad, tho; 68K and 5.7 years!). :mg:)

So ... plugged in a few better pics of the issue, a Scura's fix, and my pathetic temp "solution" (which, as you might guess, doesn't work :blush: ).

Anyway, Wayne Orwig, a local Cali and Centauro whiz, came over, rolled his eyes at my jury-rigged connector, listened to the roll-up to and thru 4K (as did my neighbors :o ), and pronounced the culprit(s) to be the passenger pegs vibrating. Hmmmmmm. I dunno think so, but mebbe.

Anyway, even if that is the problem, I want to connect the crossover and frame. OBTW, stormsedge, I did double check to ensure not pipe and sidestand issue, but thanks. Alex, I may be into making mine, too. And, Ben ... cup's on the way. :D

Seriously, Mike, I'm going to be in San Francisco next month (c.10-12 March). Any chance we could hook up? I'm good for at least a beer or two to borrow or measure or take pics or whatever of your stock u-bracket.

Thanks to all as always for help in sorting out these little warts.

Bill

Guest ratchethack

Bill, as Mike mentioned, the Stucchi bracket is more V-shaped than the stock bracket, which has 90-degree bends. I found in my case that even though the Stucchi bracket's designed for increased clearance, I still had to relieve both sides of the bracket considerably with an angle-grinder to give it adequate clearance so it wouldn't rattle against the crossover. Keep in mind that the whole exhaust system expands considerably when hot, which can tighten up clearances all around that appear adequate when it's cold. I don't think I'd be any too confident about running it without any bracket in there! :o

IMHO it should be pretty straightforward to fab one up, and with a little journeyman-level bodgery, you could maybe make your own rubber blocks out of somethin' from an auto parts supplier.

BAA, TJM, & YMMV -_-

Good luck!

IMHO it should be pretty straightforward to fab one up, and with a little journeyman-level bodgery, you could maybe make your own rubber blocks out of somethin' from an auto parts supplier.

78353[/snapback]

Wrong! You don't know Bill. Bill is not allowed anything even remotely like tools to play with unless he has a note from Kathi. Kathi is far too sensible, and since she sometimes goes on the back and has a sense of self preservation, is never going to allow Bill to ever touch anything. If he's been naughty she also slips out to the shed at night while he's asleep and sticks a nail in his rear tyre as punishment :grin: .

He has a wonderful shed, the Garagemahalo, but if you look closely at any of the pics he posts up you'll see that all the tools are actually made of rubber. You can't get the full picture because if you pick them up and squeeze them thay also squeak! This keeps him ammused and harmless while Wayne is contacted and can get over there to fix things up. Once Bill has a few mates round it's fine, Kathi can go off and cook up a storm with the relatives without having to worry about Bill playing unsupervised and Bill can do what he excells at, being an awesome host and plying everybody within a 300 metre radius with food, Perroni and Grappa. All in all it seems to be a win/win situation. Bill's bike gets sorted, Kathi gets the afternoon off from keeping an eye on him and picking him up and rubbing his knees when he falls over and scrapes them and kissing better the numerous little 'Hurties' he accumulates if alowed to play with anything sharp and the whole of the Inman Park area of Atlanta sort of degenerates into mixture between the Mardi-Gras in Rio and the Watts riots. The authorities don't mind as they've been looking at a way of facilitating the slum clearance in the next 'burb over so Bill is seen as a cross between an avenging angel and the Personal Hygiene Fairy. All in all it's a fairly satisfactory situation for everyone involved :grin::thumbsup::mg:

Pete

Bill,

It would be great to meet up with you, are you going to be here alone or with your wife?

I have the stock crossover bracket that you can have or I can take the Stucchi bracket off my bike and make a drawing, or perhaps even make one up for you.

Feel free to PM me with the infomation on your stay.

Mike

Seriously, Mike, I'm going to be in San Francisco next month (c.10-12 March). Any chance we could hook up? I'm good for at least a beer or two to borrow or measure or take pics or whatever of your stock u-bracket.

Thanks to all as always for help in sorting out these little warts.

Bill

78346[/snapback]

C'mon Bill. Respond! I know you're logged on :P

Pete

78400[/snapback]

Yes, I was, apparently reading your first while you posted this. :P

Unfortunately, some of Atlanta's finest (by that I do not mean police, but Dep't of Sanitation SWAT team! ;) ) were outside earlier than expected, and, of course, our garbage wasn't. Had to attend to that, and by that time, couldn't respond.

In short, tho, I'd sue you for defamation for your scurrilous remarks ... but truth is a defense. :D

Looking forward to you and Jude returning to see the GarageMahalo, which was, as you know, only a dream when you were last here.

And, Mike, after Pete's comments on Kathi, your question about her possibly visiting has me a bit nervous. :o Seriously, I'll email or PM you on itinerary later this week. Hope we can hoist a beer .. or a grappa or two.

Bill

P.S. Pete, feel free to use my pics of my coathanger "fix" in any of your "how to" manuals. :D