Car Bike combos

Jock Guzzi

Todd, Ive always wanted to purchase a Benz, but heard that they are not dependable,and complicated to work on( I do all my own wrenching) is the dependability thing since chrysler"s affiliation? or is it not true?  I cant afford a new benz on a nurses salary, which model do you recommend I look for  as a good reliable used MB? ( best bang for the buck / depreciation-vs- age) Thanks Rick.

75723[/snapback]

I wasn't too keen on MB until I discovered that it will sell you every little part individually. No more having to buy a new alternator when just the diode board has died or new starter for the want of a set of field coils.

Don't know how that works in the US, with its liability laws.

m

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todd, Ive always wanted to purchase a Benz, but heard that they are not dependable,and complicated to work on( I do all my own wrenching) is the dependability thing since chrysler"s affiliation? or is it not true?  I cant afford a new benz on a nurses salary, which model do you recommend I look for  as a good reliable used MB? ( best bang for the buck / depreciation-vs- age) Thanks Rick.

75723[/snapback]

Rick, depends on your budget.

My first impression would be 90-92 300E.

upgraded interior from the 86-89 cars,

good power, will need valve job around 120K.

Evaporator sometime in it's life.

For a few more bucks, 94-95 E320.

Another refinement of comfort features, twin cam motor.

Very nice.

Possible issues, Head gasket, engine wiring harness, evaporator.

Avoid 96 and up-- not for the DIY.

Stick with mid-size-- the small cars don't hold up.

The large cars will eat you alive.

If you can figure 3-7K for purchase(I paid $3200 for my 90 300CE), and set aside $200.00 for repairs/maintenance, you should be in good shape,

particulary if you do your own work.

You should have money left over at the end of the year.

A $400+/month car note every month is anathema to me.

I must confess, I have it easy.

I just tell the boss if my car won't start, he'll have to open the next

morning. Works every time. Another reason we aren't scared of

Guzzi FI or CAN-bus in the new Breva 1100.

http://mphauto.com/

Feel free to contact me if you have particular questions.

We've been fixing German stuff for longer than Guzzis.

Rick, depends on your budget.

My first impression would be 90-92 300E.

upgraded interior from the 86-89 cars,

good power, will need valve job around 120K.

Evaporator sometime in it's life.

For a few more bucks, 94-95 E320.

Another refinement of comfort features, twin cam motor.

Very nice.

Possible issues, Head gasket, engine wiring harness, evaporator.

Avoid 96 and up-- not for the DIY.

Stick with mid-size-- the small cars don't hold up.

The large cars will eat you alive.

If you can figure 3-7K for purchase(I paid $3200 for my 90 300CE), and set aside $200.00 for repairs/maintenance, you should be in good shape,

particulary if you do your own work.

You should have money left over at the end of the year.

A $400+/month car note every month is anathema to me.

I must confess, I have it easy.

I just tell the boss if my car won't start, he'll have to open the next

morning. Works every time.  Another reason we aren't scared of

Guzzi FI or CAN-bus in the new Breva 1100.

http://mphauto.com/

Feel free to contact me if you have particular questions.

We've been fixing German stuff for longer than Guzzis.

75759[/snapback]

Thank You very much, Todd. Thats a whole lot of good information to help in my search. what is it about the newer than 96 cars that is not for the DIY? I was thinking that something a little newer would be better over the long run.... I keep my vehicles a long time. I recently sold a 96 saab 900 that I bought new and put 280K miles on it. Thanks Rick

Sorry mines a bit boring, Peugeot 306 HDI diesel estate (useful for tools and german shepherd), missus has 2.0 litre Renault clio sport now that is fun! silly horse power in a small car, but we always seem to go places in mine, so I end up with space shuttle mileages and she gets good trade-ins as her cars are always below average miles!! I get my kicks with the V11 and 31/2 morini.

Cheers Gary :bier:

I'l wade in.

When it comes to cars, if it's not German, it''s CRAP!!

Current, Benz 300CE (125K miles) -Leather,ABS, cruise, sunrooof, power windows-

Previous, Benz 300E (285K miles), Benz 300D(295K miles), Benz 240D(345K miles).

Detect a trend?

All have cost me next to nothing to buy, own, and operate.

75549[/snapback]

That is probably because you are a good mechanic.

I had a 280SE and a 450SEL

I spent more time in the junk yard looking for parts for them.

Was always looking for a seat in good enough condition not to ruin my back but never found one.

Loss of oil pressure while mom was driving killed the 280SE.

A grossly leaking transmission less than a year after an expensive tranny overhaul, and the 450SEL became a donor.

Total depreciation, 100%

Never again thank you...but then again the diesels still appeal to me.

From now on it is Toyota, Toyota, Toyota...wish they made motorcycles.

76053[/snapback]

Bernt Pischetsrieder, then head of BMW, once said " Toyota is the best carmaker in the world, luckily for us they dont know shit about marketing". Big words indeed.

That is probably because you are a good mechanic.

I had a 280SE and a 450SEL

I spent more time in the junk yard looking for parts for them.

Was always looking for a seat in good enough condition not to ruin my back but never found one.

Loss of oil pressure while mom was driving killed the 280SE.

A grossly leaking transmission less than a year after an expensive tranny overhaul, and the 450SEL became a donor.

Total depreciation, 100%

Never again thank you...but then again the diesels still appeal to me.

76053[/snapback]

I must agree with you, Senor, Im on my second Camry now a 99 it has 100K miles and still has the original battery! 7 friggen years old! the only thing ive done to that car besides oil, & fluid & filter changes is replaced the front brake pads. thats it! I shit you not. It still runs/looks like new. My first camry a 89 I sold with 240 K miles to a nurse I worked with, she ran it well over 350 K miles, I have a friend that does home inspections all over the state of arizona that has a tacoma pickup, 4 cyl, auto with 400+ K miles these Toyotas are absolutely amayzing!

:2c: don't argue with merc owners..it will only add to gw.theyr'as bad as guzzi owners..prepared to put up with the idiosyncracies.. :D iv'e been there 190 c . but got over it . now v6 3.8 five speed ute. fits the bill.. :bier:

I must agree with you, Senor, Im on my second Camry now a 99 it has 100K miles and still has the original battery! 7 friggen years old! the only thing ive done to that car besides oil, & fluid & filter changes is replaced the front brake pads. thats it! I shit you not. It still runs/looks like new. My first camry a 89 I sold with 240 K miles to a nurse I worked with, she ran it well over 350 K miles, I have a friend that does home inspections all over the state of arizona that has a tacoma pickup, 4 cyl, auto with 400+ K miles these Toyotas are absolutely amayzing!

76066[/snapback]

Drifting off topic

Hmm Toyota the Mcdonalds of car manufacturers. I have the misfortune to use Toyta 78 series tropp carriers for work our company currently has six of them none have over 115 000kms. Toyota obiously realising thier sales have started dwidling in the aera have started a toyota tough anything else is pretend. These things shovel through more fuel than I though possible to fit through a 4.2 desiel on the Highway. Overtaking a Truck doing a 100 is a scary 5km exercise anything that resmebles a serious slope requires low range quiet often a bit of clutch abuse and if its vaguely soft underneath they go striaght to the axels.

The end of year service's on one vehicle required the rear diff to be rebuilt as it was howling it guts out another needed a rebore and rings, we had a dead clutch in one other vechile and a new radiator. Our vehicle do run around at the manufacters wieght limit but supposely these are commecial working vehicle. Lets not mention the rubbush plastics they use for the overflow bolltles that go brittle and crack in the heat of the engine bay. Consider the price they charge for these things there is no way I would ever touch one.

Eh thats my rant anyway.

This is as close as it gets for now.

Toyam

76055[/snapback]

Don't I remember hearing somewhere that Yamaha were design consultants with the wide angle 16v four range of Toyota sports engines in the eighties?

I had a RWD Corolla GT with one of these in it and it was a pocket rocket.

Guest citimoto

Not that Im a huge fan of SUV's but my wife has a 2000 Toyo Landcruiser that we bought new. It currently has 100k on the clock and she thinks that "Im taking one on the chin" when I begin using it for my travel car for work next month. While too big and a guzzler this thing has never given us any trouble at all. i hope to at least get another 200k out of it. I am using the Guzzi as my commuting vehicle when weather permits so I feel like im balancing out something on the enviromental side of things (I dont think Im a prius type of guy).

When it comes to 4 wheels it must be german. The Peepholes Wagen ist da only weg to fahren. Having travelled thru Africa in a 65 VW Kombi and making it, just, after 6months of horrendous roads, tracks, pistes or whatever I believed that this must be the only car for me. Mind you we had the motor out 6 times between Nairobi and Algeirs.

Currently drive a 97 VW 2L transporter van and my wife a 2004 VW Golf TDi. What a great car, econimical fast, handles reeeely well and you only have to replace the turbo every 27K. Ahh well guess there had to be some sought of Guzzi link.

A necessary evil here in Oz, when the suppermarket trolley wheels can't keep planted so well on the road as the v11 does when towing it home. :2c: