V11 gearbox mod.

pete roper

I'm pretty sure that for the sliding muff recall you'd have to have the box out and apart. I don't see how you could replace them otherwise?

My feeling is I'll look at it and try to make an educated guess as to whether the box has been out or apart. Whatever happens I'll get witnesses to verify that the customer won't hold me responsible if the dogs go tits and if we're pretty sure it hasn't been done I'll give the importer a call and see what the word is from them.

It's a nasty one :(

Pete

Not an easy situation,Pete....

I would say you have to be open with the customer, express your concerns, tell him a little about the right corrective procedures and costs. Maybe get him to do a paper chase on the job.....Not that that is any guarantee in itself that it has been done, of course.

I know you wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise. Then the decision is his.

Any waiver he gives should be itemised on the invoice. That said, I suppose you will have to get involved with 6 speed rebuilds at some point. :huh:

If I were the customer I would be asking you to go ahead, regardless of the warranty issue, and that way we both would be happy the job had been done right. Might cost more, but how much is peace of mind worth.

BTW on the subject of peace of mind....... I have bought a used V10 clutch assembly to replace the RAM unit in my Scura. I think the trade off in terms of performance for a road bike is going to be negligible and well worth it!

Hope you get this issue resolved favourably soon,

Regards,

Nige. B)

Pete,

I ran this one by Davy, he has done a heap of the recalls.

His reply:

Remove the sidecover,

the recall kit includes 2 new sliding dogs.

The late-style dogs have a machined groove on one side.

Picture shows new-style dog on left, old style on right.

Inspection can be done without trans removal.

Dog replacement requires trans removal and disassembly.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Sorry for the poor picture, but I think it gets the point across.

v11009.jpg

I can get the transmission out of my V11 Sport in an hour and half - and I'm not really good at this stuff. I would say that it is possible to do two a day if you're going assembly line and have everything at hand and ready to go. If Pete ever gets around to working on these new fangled models he'll probably turn a pretty good time. Of course, he has rubber chickens to help...

I can get the transmission out of my V11 Sport in an hour and half - and I'm not really good at this stuff. I would say that it is possible to do two a day if you're going assembly line and have everything at hand and ready to go. If Pete ever gets around to working on these new fangled models he'll probably turn a pretty good time. Of course, he has rubber chickens to help...

75977[/snapback]

Yup, I'm sure you can but you seem to have become the world expert on 'Musical Gearboxes' on spineys :grin: . The thing is that this shop is the same one that charged my mate John an hour and a half labour on his first service on his V11 LeMans for 'Check lights, indicators and horn' <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_knownothing.gif" alt=":huh2:"> so I imagine the challenge of getting a gearbox off a spiney might take 'em a bit longer :homer:

Incidentally which way do you go to get the box out? Will reckons it's easier to pull ther motive unit out the front. I still go the 'Old Fashioned' route and crab the frame. I've got fairly good at that now.so 2 hours to pull the box would be about right. Probably 2 & 1/2 to get it back in but since I'd be doing muy first six speeder I'm pretty sure it would take me more than a couple of hours to guarantee I'd done the job right, at least first time around.

I thnk on this occasion the answer is simple. Pull the cam-plate cover and have a squizz at the muffs. If the muffs have the groove the job has been done, if not then they've been telling porkies :moon:

Pete

Yup, I'm sure you can but you seem to have become the world expert on 'Musical Gearboxes' on spineys :grin: . The thing is that this shop is the same one that charged my mate John an hour and a half labour on his first service on his V11 LeMans for 'Check lights, indicators and horn' <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_knownothing.gif" alt=":huh2:">  so I imagine the challenge of getting a gearbox off a spiney might take 'em a bit longer :homer:

Incidentally which way do you go to get the box out? Will reckons it's easier to pull ther motive unit out the front. I still go the 'Old Fashioned' route and crab the frame. I've got fairly good at that now.so 2 hours to pull the box would be about right. Probably 2 & 1/2 to get it back in but since I'd be doing muy first six speeder I'm pretty sure it would take me more than a couple of hours to guarantee I'd done the job right, at least first time around.

I thnk on this occasion the answer is simple. Pull the cam-plate cover and have a squizz at the muffs. If the muffs have the groove the job has been done, if not then they've been telling porkies :moon:

Pete

75996[/snapback]

I'm not even close to being an expert at this and have in fact, only done it twice on the V11 and twice on the California. The California massively sucks compared to the V11 Sport for ease of maintenance.

You only have to crab the frame 2 inches to get the transmission out. Some three dimensional puzzle work to be sure, but it can be done. Battery disconnected, starter removed. Rear wheel off, driveline out. Rear subframe gets unbolted at the front and pivoted down and out of the way. Jack under sump. Various other bolts & nuts loosened or removed as required, a nice assortment of swear words and the little bugger is out. I actually did it in an hour and a half. I never get anything done in that short of time on the Guzzis. Yet somehow...

Well, it seems my suspicions were unfounded. After removing the camplate cover it was obvious that there were muffs in the box that fitted Todd's description so I have to assume it's OK.

Thanks to all who offered help and advice. The rest of the bike was OK apart from the rear wheel spindle which had been done up to 28 gazzillion mile tons and has crushed the spacer so the bearings are on the way out. Just call me Mr.Stupid but the spindle has a sodding great nyloc nut on it. Why the hell would you do it up so tight that it needed me, (Fat bastard #1.) and Mr. Davies, (Fat bastard #2) with 1 metre breaker bars, huffing and puffing with all our might, while Ian, (Fat bastard #3!) held the bike to get the bloody thing undone?????? I'm not kidding, I thought I was going to have to get the Oxy on it and we all nearly had coronarys!!!!!! :bbblll::stupid::moon:

Pete

PS, Yes, you can simply *crab* the frame and yank the gearbox off the back of the bell housing. As Carl says it's not terrifically easy the first time you do it but it's a damn sight easier than a lot of jobs on other bikes. If you do a search on the net for details of frame crabbing you'll get the picture.

Hey Pete,

I've done about 10 of the six speed refits as I call them :luigi: . Todd is right about the grooves in the new pieces. maybe he can find a set of directions that also tells which direction the grooves are supposed to be facing...front or back. And your "Blokes" down there should have used Yamabond or similar or the box is gonna leak.... :grin:

andy

:race: