War..... fastest indian

tomsp

Interesting, this movie is still being discussed. I've been tied up elsewhere for a while so I'm quite late in responding to the questions above.

Dangerous: The first, and most important, thing you need to do is stop thinking the movie is a documentary. It is a fictionalized version of real life. The movie covers thing that happened on all nine trips. The scene where he set the record of 183.586 MPH was in 1967, the incident with the trailer wheel being replaced by a chunk of wood happen on his drive back to LA on his third trip, the incident with the cop on the highway never happened. Condensing a life as rich and exciting as Bert Munro's into 90 minutes requires a LOT of creativity and a willingness to sacrifice truth for beauty. The bike in the pictures I posted is the bike (chassis and body work) that set that record. In my mind that makes it the world's fastest Indian. Your opinion may well be different. The engine is another story, it may be the engine in the bike in NZ is the one that set the records, I don't know. I know he took the engine back and forth, the bike stayed in the US.

The bodywork on the bike in your picture was replaced (if I understand Marty correctly, the next time I see him I'll ask to be sure) on the first trip. The "triple tail" caused the bike to wobble uncontrollably at the speeds that Bonneville allowed Munro to reach. Marty said Munro just cut off back of the bike and replaced it with part of an aircraft (external) fuel tank. Typical of his direct solutions to problems. Anyway, the triple tail bodywork shows the bike (or at least the body work) in NZ never went fast at Bonneville, it was not possible to ride it at speed.

Lex

84013[/snapback]

Similar to the movie The Right Stuff. In that movie you are led to believe that Chuck Yeager goes horseback riding one night, see's the X-1 for the very first time and then breaks his ribs before jumping in the X-1 the next day and breaking the speed of sound. In reality he studied the plane for weeks before flying it and then flew it for many weeks before setting the speed record at over mach one. Hollywood has a way of condensing reality into the 2 hours alotted for our movies and it is very rarely real!!

V50man. Did you hate "On Any Sunday" as well?

83968[/snapback]

Carl --

"Sunday" was interesting. However, I've gotta stand by my contention that "World's Fastest Indian" is a simply terrible, schmaltzy movie -- on all levels. It seemed to me that the target audience for WFI played with Barbies and LOVES romantic comedies...

v50

• 2 weeks later...

went to see the movie last night with a few friends. we all enjoyed it for what it is a condensed story of the life of burt and his indian.i'm glad i read the book first as there was no mention of the velocette which i believe to still be the worlds fastest.

the velo of burts which was also highly modified over many years at one point burt having fitted a head from a lycoming aero engine. the velo which burt used for many speed records within new zealand. :thumbsup: quote=dangerous,Apr 10 2006, 04:54 PM]

velocette! what velocette?

85592[/snapback]

Thank's for that Lex, The missus has just scored the book so after she has read it Ill pinch it from her and have a read... it covers the hole time period that he spent to and fro.

Darryl

84022[/snapback]

havn't you got the book off the missus yet. :huh2:

havn't you got the book off the missus yet. :huh2:

85595[/snapback]

no... she wont give it to me till I do the dishes and hang the washing out :blush:

Thanks for that info, now I might have to admit defet and do some house work as I wana read that book. :thumbsup:

...Here is a picture:

WFI1.jpg

Great flick, bring the wife/ girlfriend and the kids, just don't expect the downunder version of On Any Sunday...

81913[/snapback]

Lex,

I assume this is the same bike, photos taken at the British Bike Rally at Hanson Dam here in LA back in November of last year:

DSCF1186.jpg

DSCF1187.jpg

Those are the LA area Guzzi guys checking it out (David Asman, Richard Rodriguez, me (Wallis Sholar), and my son, Owen).

You think you could bring Marty to one of the Guzzi get togethers, like the one in Parkfield on April 22nd?? That would very cool for the rest of us to be able to meet him and talk to him. I just saw WFI again last night (4th time).

Lex,

I assume this is the same bike, photos taken at the British Bike Rally at Hanson Dam here in LA back in November of last year:

DSCF1186.jpg

DSCF1187.jpg

Those are the LA area Guzzi guys checking it out (David Asman, Richard Rodriguez, me (Wallis Sholar), and my son, Owen).

You think you could bring Marty to one of the Guzzi get togethers, like the one in Parkfield on April 22nd??  That would very cool for the rest of us to be able to meet him and talk to him.  I just saw WFI again last night (4th time).

86074[/snapback]

It sure looks like the same bike. I'm pretty sure it has been "gilded" a bit from when Munro raced it but it is just amazing to think that thing was originally an Indian with a top speed of something like 50 MPH.

I've put the word out locally for the ride. I can try to encourage Marty but in case I have (inadvertently) mislead anybody: Marty isn't a friend, we've been riding together a few times, had a few meals together and have mutual friends but I couldn't say I know him well. I'll add he is also a bit of an inspiration, besides the Bonneville records and all that I sure hope I am still riding (better yet, riding as well as he does) when I am his age.

Lex

It sure looks like the same bike. I'm pretty sure it has been "gilded" a bit from when Munro raced it but it is just amazing to think that thing was originally an Indian with a top speed of something like 50 MPH.

Lex

86284[/snapback]

Something just isn't quite right here

since the pics of this Munro bike were posted I have been asking questions as someting just dosn't quite add up

Now Lex I am not trying to be a wanker here, but from what I have learned there is and has only ever been one Munro Indian... and it in NZ not the US.

Now this is only what I have been told by several people buggered if I know but Munro started with one Indian and finished with one Indian...

OK

Just got the missus pissed and stole the book from her, I found this interesting info in it.

Burt built a second motor for an American enthusiast who bought the streamliner in 1975, it wasnt the fast engine though, he built one up out of spares

Irving and Norman Hayes (NZ) bought the original bikes when Burt packed it in, he quit when he could no longer read his micrometer and the settings on his lathe

Hayes brothers were mates of Burts, the original streamliner is in the states with a Burt Munro built Indian engine, but its not the engine he raced and set records with.

The original bikes are on display down south somewhere in NZ

Burt also had a Velocette that posted a 132.35 mph on a beach and set a new beach record, his one regret was he never took the Velo to the salt flats

So I stand corected, the body work you swow in the pics over there may just be the real thing however the engine is buit from spares.

OK

Just got the missus pissed and stole the book from her, I found this interesting info in it.

Burt built a second motor for an American enthusiast who bought the streamliner in 1975, it wasnt the fast engine though, he built one up out of spares

Irving and Norman Hayes (NZ) bought the original bikes when Burt packed it in, he quit when he could no longer read his micrometer and the settings on his lathe

Hayes brothers were mates of Burts, the original streamliner is in the states with a Burt Munro built Indian engine, but its not the engine he raced and set records with.

The original bikes are on display down south somewhere in NZ

Burt also had a Velocette that posted a 132.35 mph on a beach and set a new beach record, his one regret was he never took the Velo to the salt flats

So I stand corected, the body work you swow in the pics over there may just be the real thing however the engine is buit from spares.

86308[/snapback]

I've stated several times I don't know if the engine in this bike is the one that set the records. The engine isn't SOHC or DOHC and I know he took the engine back and forth so I'm not surprised the WFI (engine) is in NZ. It sounds like the "real" bike is split between the one here and the one in NZ. I'll stand by my opinion that the chassis and body work make this the World's Fastest Indian but I also understand if anyone has another opinion. :2c:

I have to say what is much more important than which bike is real is that Burt Munro is (finally) getting the respect and fame he deserves. Whatever bike you think is "The One", they were both built by Mr. Munro with not much more than an in incredibly creative mind and a lot of determination. My hat is off to him. :notworthy:

Lex