War..... fastest indian

tomsp

Carl --

"Sunday" was interesting.  However, I've gotta stand by my contention that "World's Fastest Indian" is a simply terrible, schmaltzy movie -- on all levels.  It seemed to me that the target audience for WFI played with Barbies and LOVES romantic comedies...

v50

84049[/snapback]

HEY! I loved WFI,

and I HATE romantic comedies .... but I kinda like barbie :whistle:

Correct they are engines built to the same specs as Burts, there were also Ducati powered bikes built and used as the running bikes in the movie, duno were they are now tho.

82082[/snapback]

well ONE is here: www.deusexmachina.com.au

complete with brandy bottle cork & and all. :grin:

n_s_S!

...I've put the word out locally for the ride. I can try to encourage Marty but in case I have (inadvertently) mislead anybody: Marty isn't a friend, we've been riding together a few ...

86284[/snapback]

Great, but no worries. Just a thought.

I would imagine the owner of the REAL WFI here in CA ( :whistle: )stands to make a coupla bucks off the Invercargillians who snoozed and loozed on getting the bike from Munro in the first place. :homer:

But seriously, I agree that the bike's proper home is in Invercargill. I'll bet the interested parties can reach an amicable agreement.

I've been following this with interest. Before posting, I needed some clarification from Neville Hayes the owner of the actual WFI. He told me together with his late father Norman he purchased the bike and all the parts that went with it before Burt's death. I was told the engine in the USA, is an 8 valve engine Burt made from spares. I am not sure what size this engine is. Also remaining in the US is the original 1920 Scout frame along with the third streamliner shell made.

As the record was set in 1967 it would be fair to say we share the World's Fastest Indian. The US is home for the record setting streamliner shell above and Invercargill is home for the much modified motorcycle itself.

I have included some links to some interesting articles.

Rob

http://www.seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Entertai...opkinsStars.htm

http://www.indianmotorbikes.com/features/munro/index.htm

As the record was set in 1967 it would be fair to say we share the World's Fastest Indian. The US is home for the record setting streamliner shell above and Invercargill is home for the much modified motorcycle itself...

Not so fast. There is a simple way to resolve this-- bring the Invercargill bike to Bonneville, and run it against the California bike. We'll see very plainly which bike is truly the WFI. For pinks?? ;)

Not so fast.  There is a simple way to resolve this-- bring the Invercargill bike to Bonneville, and run it against the California bike.  We'll see very plainly which bike is truly the WFI.  For pinks??  ;)

86559[/snapback]

Great idea... the replica built for the movie was raced up against Aussies fastest Indian last year, bloody awesome sound.

DSC00507xx.jpg

DSC00494xx.jpg

Great idea... the replica built for the movie was raced up against Aussies fastest Indian last year, bloody awesome sound.

86564[/snapback]

Hey, I think they should create a new class at Bonneville-- the WFI class. Only WFI replica bikes with mods limited to the shell, intake, top end, and exhaust-- everything else has to replicate the last Munro Special. See what folks come up with. Could be fun to follow. Could create its own cottage industry.

• 4 weeks later...

saw the movie yesterday, with my 14 years old son. He really liked the movie, altho he's not really a bike enthusiast.

i was quite disappointed by the movie in fact.

I know Hopkins' previous performances and this one didn't strike me at being anything special. I wouldn't say it's really a movie about bikes, it's a roadmovie about a guy longing to get more out of life.

The movie is ok, altho very cheesy at times and I wonder if Burt in real life was half as great as how he is shown on the screen.

this said, this movie has sprinkle quite a few thoughts in me and i read an interesting review on some site where they pinpoint something intruiging: Burt Munroe, in the movie, always asks for something to the ppl he meet. But they seem to be the ones getting something back. How is that for giving this movie a cult status ? ( it has already acquired from all the messages i've seen...)

btw: i love"On Any Sunday".

saw the movie yesterday, The movie is ok, altho very cheesy at times and I wonder if Burt in real life was half as great as how he is shown on the screen.

Well ya see... it has just come out on DVD here so I nabed a copy and watched it last night aswell.

That cheesy comment is the Kiwi way back then and down south it still is, I would think that Burt was just like he was pertrailed in the movie.

Like I have said before... its SO Kiwi, I understand if you yankie types and some others wouldnt get it or think it for reall, our lifestyles are so different... but watching the Vid last night did bring a tear or two to my eyes, Why? because it so reminded me of my Dad and the way things were back then... the sayings and body language is awesome and KIWI

No matter, Ben...

The Bloomin' Onion is one of my favorite guilty pleasures...

I mean, c'mon -- Austin Powers is a Canadian, right?

Again (I LOVE saying this) -- I want the hour and a half I spent in an LA theatre watching this crap movie back!!!!!!!!!

what I find funny is the Outback steakhouse commericals here in the states are done by a kiwi. I hear that would be like Ford using a frenchman to sell cars.  :rolleyes:

89349[/snapback]

Cool, inspirational story.  Crappy schmaltzfest of a movie (Where was Julia Roberts?).

End of thread!

89344[/snapback]

Not born yet I'd say... gees you yanks want every thing don't ya :thumbsup::notworthy::notworthy:

what I find funny is the Outback steakhouse commericals here in the states are done by a kiwi.

well send the forker home, woundered were he got too :rolleyes:

Like I have said before... its SO Kiwi, I understand if you yankie types and some others wouldnt get it or think it for reall, our lifestyles are so different...

89323[/snapback]

i'm belgian, and we're known for our surrealist type of humour :) well, not me, i'm known for having no humour at all.

anyhow, i'm glad the movie did bring feelings out, it's definitively a success then :)