dare I say it but OIL-diff to be specific

wambiker

Hi all, not wanting to hung for starting another oil thread :P , but have a quick question. I'm about to change all the oils, engine,box and diff. I'm using mobil synthetic in the engine already so will carry on with that. I am going to try Redline Heavy weight in the box and diff(have used redline oils in my lotus seven rep for a few years) but was just wondering if those out there already using it, still add the "Roper dose of snot" to the diff? I will now go and hide in the fallout shelter to avoid oil thread rage!

Cheers Gary :bier:

:mg:

No need for the drop of "snot" with the Shockproof Heavy.

77224[/snapback]

As V50man says.

I spoke with Redline tech: "...no need....molybendum additive is to give an EP90 oil extra EP rating. H shockproof is 75w90 oil, but has an EP rating of 250 - so way higher already than a conventional 90 weight with the moly addded."

KB :sun:

ShockProof Heavy is pure snot!

well not really.

They don't say what they put in there, but it works like the best premium synthetics with added Molybdenum Disulphide (MOS2)

...And ShockProof comes in prettier colors than MOS2!

well not really.

They don't say what they put in there, but it works like the best premium synthetics with added Molybdenum Disulphide (MOS2)

77259[/snapback]

I've been TOLD that it is a superfine CLAY that gives Shockproof its unique consistency.

I'm running the Lightweight shockproof in the Buell's gearbox. It has a lovely blue color to it -- almost like a blueberry -- but the taste... :vomit:

well not really.

77259[/snapback]

I have been trying diligently to buy some Molykote A specified by MG for the rear transmission, with no luck. Molykote is a Dow Corning trade name, so you would think it should be easy. After much research, I finally have a lead on MO additive. Dow Corning makes an additive called Molykote M for gear oil, for the purpose of wear reduction. Also supposedly prevents galling during initial run in.

That could explain why my new Cafe Sport came with Molykote type A additive specified for the rear transmission gear oil. The website does not include Molykote Type A among its products. It looks like Molykote M is the right stuff. I expect some in within the next couple of weeks, and will share what I learn.

I've probally put a similar reply in another thread on this one. I have used reline shock proof I think the heavy wieght in the diff (red??) and the blue stuff in the gearbox. This was recommended to me by a redline rep. After 9000kms the gearshift quality went south just like it does with mineral oil after 5000kms usally a sign of shagged final drive oil. It made no differnce to the shift action over and above what I would of expected to gain with fresh oil. Pulled the stuff out and the murky black/grey colour was a pretty good indication it was indeed shagged. The gearbox oil came out a similar colour to what it went in.

I'm back to changing it regularly and sticking some kinda of friction treatment for gear oil (I don't think that makes a serious difference ethier but my final drive has done 98 000kms wth need of serious attention. That was my experince anyway see how you go.