Clutch Swap Time....Advice please?

Ballacraine

Never let small kids in your garage,I remember my daughter saying she was going in to get her bicycle helmet and she could reach it nae bother, well she could reach, by standing on a cb 750 petrol tank  :(  lucky it hadnt been repainted

Gary

85867[/snapback]

Definetly,I well remember my son offering to clean the bike for me when he was two years old. I was just about to tell him to go ahead,turned round, and he's standing there with a 2 lb ball pein hammer. :wacko:

To him,no different to a polishing cloth.I gently persuaded him to put it down and skewered him on my claymore...........erm..........gave him a rag.

OK Here is how I set up.

ClutchSwap01a.jpg

ClutchSwap02a.jpg

Not elegant but it was stable.....

Since then I got lucky on ebay and have the proper stand with wheels ;)

( If this post works with the attachments I should be on a roll for tomorrow! :thing: )

Nige. :thumbsup:

Right, this is the offending article.

ClutchSwap03.JPG

One of the torx head screws put up a real fight. Busted my cheap T bar and also on a later attempt the Torx bit! :bbblll:

Ended up having to drill the head off it! :glare:

I took it into work today to get it crack tested. I am not expecting it to show damage TBH, but as I said earlier there were two bolts in the central hub looser than I would have liked. :o

Here is the shallower Scura single plate clutch hub centre:

ClutchSwap04.JPG

On this shot you can see the deeper splines and smaller bore of the twin plate five speed clutch hub centre on the right, compared to the removed Scura single plate six speed clutch hub centre. I had to order up a twin plate 6 speed clutch hub centre to to the job.

ClutchSwap05.JPG

Nige. :luigi:

• 2 weeks later...

Right, just to conclude this excercise....

Having had a friend NDT penetrant test the alloy flywheel removed from my bike.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread two of the mounting bolts were not as tight as I would have liked them.

There was 6500 miles on the bike when I took it off.

It had started to crack on one of the mounting holes already.

Have to stress (sic :blush: ) Scuristi!

This definitely seems a 'When' situation...rather than an 'If.'

I am so relieved I went to the trouble of swapping the offending article for a sound V10 ten spring twin plater.

I would urge others to take remedial action before they become another statistic! :o

Don't hope it will go away....It won't unless you take action. :thumbsup:

Get :luigi:

Nige. B)

actually you don't really *need* the flywheel/ring gear locking tool either. If you get a bit of flat steel bar about 20-30cm long and drill an 8mm hole in either end you can hook it over one of the bell housing studs, remove one of the ring gear retaining bolts and replace it with a longer one going through the other hole in the bar. That will hold everything quite adequately to get both the rest of the ring gear bolts and the flywheel bolts undone.

Pete

77426[/snapback]

Wow Pete, you went all out! I used vice grips. Really. I just let them grip inside of the toothed rim, not on the gear itself, and let the handles fetch up against the clutch housing mounting studs. Of course, I'm not what you would call a really good mechanic...

I used a front mudguard brake pipe bracket from an 850-T3 :P

Just hooked over the stud and put a bolt through into the ring gear.

No drilling required.... :rasta:

I knew that rusty old piece of metal would come in handy one day! :grin:

Nige. B)

Right, just to conclude this excercise....

Having had a friend NDT penetrant test the alloy flywheel removed from my bike.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread two of the mounting bolts were not as tight as I would have liked them.

There was 6500 miles on the bike when I took it off.

It had started to crack on one of the mounting holes already.

Have to stress (sic  :blush:  ) Scuristi!

This definitely seems a 'When' situation...rather than an 'If.'

I am so relieved I went to the trouble of swapping the offending article for a sound V10 ten spring twin plater.

I would urge others to take remedial action before they become another statistic!  :o

Don't hope it will go away....It won't unless you take action.  :thumbsup:

Get :luigi:

Nige.  B)

88033[/snapback]

:(:(

Shite

:(    :(

Shite

88172[/snapback]

Believe me, I am very sorry about that, but it is the way I see it.

In the interests of safety, I would urge all other Scura owners to rectify before it becomes terminal.

Mine had not reached the stage of making any untoward noises, but it was on the slippy slope to failure. :bbblll:

Nige. :o

This does not make me feel very comfortable with my clutch! I think Guzzi should maybe have a recall on all the single plate units. Its a shame that its such a big job to replace the clutch unit, or I'd do it myself. Is there any idea how many clutches have failed so far?

This does not make me feel very comfortable with my clutch! I think Guzzi should maybe have a recall on all the single plate units. Its a shame that its such a big job to replace the clutch unit, or I'd do it myself. Is there any idea how many clutches have failed so far?

88178[/snapback]

*Enough!* Is the answer you're looking for.

Doing a clutch isn't really that big a job. The consensus of opinion seems to be that the easiest way is to pull the motor off the front of the gearbox. If I owned a Scura it would be the first thing I'd do and I wouldn't be waiting for Guzzi to suddenly offer me a bunch of flowers and a big girly kiss before I did it!

Pete

Oh, Pete, I love that you can still make me laugh. Initiative. On the V11 LeMans site??? bwahahahahahahaha . . . (yes, you can all excommunicate me now . . .)

88198[/snapback]

Naughty, Gregory. The bikes here are what you and I would consider to be brand new. If I had one, I think I would be looking very hard at the manufacturer to rectify something that it made worse than in existing models.

The days of beta testing on the public are long gone, thanks mainly to your countrymen - and I mean that as a compliment.

m

• 5 weeks later...
Guest frankfash

IS the clutch replacement procedure the same for a V11 Lemans, I assume so. Do I need any special tools from the dealer?

Leaking oil in the back of the motor, bad seal on the main shaft?

I assume this leaking is what is causing my clutch to slip after 28,000.00 miles?

Thanks

Frank