An Alternative View.....

Ballacraine

i was at one time considering manufacturing walking stick, crutch racks for harleys as there seemed to be many of their riders needing walking supports..seemed most bought the pride and joy from the previous ride after the insurance claim.. :D l

77737[/snapback]

Harley riders are a strange lot really. I knew a guy who went "born again" on a Harley custom Softail in his mid 50s after 30 years off bikes. In an unguarded moment he admitted that his previous experience in the 60s was on a 175 Lambretta. I guess the Harley "Riders Edge" school must be ok!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harley riders are a strange lot really. I knew a guy who went "born again" on a Harley custom Softail in his mid 50s after 30 years off bikes. In an unguarded moment he admitted that his previous experience in the 60s was on a 175 Lambretta. I guess the Harley "Riders Edge" school must be ok!

77751[/snapback]

He was probably faster (and more scared!) on the Lambretta. I rode a GP200 once. That was more than enough.

Second of all, if I thought everyone on the road was that big of a moron, I would never go near a road. Colorful and amusing Pete's writing is, but it is not accurate. A better approach is to assume not that everone is an incredible idiot, but to assume that they might be an incredible idiot. 

Third of all, safety is a complete issue. If you don't ride safely, you deserve to have your license pulled, and your bones pulverized, you c@nt lick fearing wombats.

But good point about not blaming "everything on other people as if it's an *excuse*! "

I don't think I have ever heard a Guzzi rider fall into that category, but many inexperienced riders of crap bikes, seem to fit that bill.

77726[/snapback]

I don't think that everybody on the road *is* that much of a moron. But by assuming they are I gthink I give myself a greater buffer of safety! I'm afraid I do see incredible idiocy on n almost daily basis, we had a pregnant woman loose her small SUV in between Bunged End and Queanbeyan the other day, Busted leg and I don't think she lost the kid but the reason she lost it was because she was texting her mate in Canberra to arrange the post-strut Latte or some such, drifted over the centrelines, (It was in a no overtaking zone.), looked up saw she was on the wrong side of the road, yanked the wheel left, then over-corrected, (All with one hand mind, the other one was till busilly texting!) and rolled the horrid little shitbox into a paddock!

I'm pretty sure I know the woman involved by sight, she was one of the many I hear on a regular basis complaining about how *terrible* the road between Canberra and the Coast is! I personally think that the coast road is fine, it's certainly better than a vast majority of the lesser known NSW goat tracks but then again I suppose any road is *terrible* if you consider driving to be an activity that can be combined with texting your friends. She is also one of the small cotterie of plonkers who have publicly stated that they find me *scary* and wouldn't let their children play with mine :bbblll: so you can see what sort of imbecile-quotient we're dealing with here! If I assume that everyone out there is as microcephalic and inattentive as her I think that I'll increase my chances of survival far more than if I dress in a clown suit, keep my lights on the whole time or have a very loud exhaust!

As for blaming everyone else for their own mistakes? Happens all the time. Guzzi riders are no exception. Lets face it it takes a certain degree of maturity to fess up when you've made a complete dolt of yourself. There are lots of people who haven't reached that point yet and never will, whether they ride a Guzzi, or ride a bike at all, has nowt to do with it IMHO.

Pete

Who let Noggers watch Stephen King's "It"??  It'sfar too much for him, especially after bed time!  :P

77959[/snapback]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! Get it away from me... Mummy...help! :o:unsure:

Ah - Guilty(ish)

Where I come down the A1M junc 7 -4 on my early shift it is solid. I join at 7 and take up a central position between the lanes, once past the jucntion and everyone has sorted themselves out, there is two lanes nose to tail both lanes doing very approximatly the same spead, and no gaps big enough between the cars to allow any wayward lane changing. I can then set off down the middle.

It can thin out but never in the outside lane. Once the nearside is clear I'll move over in to 1st third of that to undertake giving the outside a wide bearth.

I quite offten go for the meat in the sandwich after watching both pieces of bread to make sure they hold a steady course. Do it a fair speed differential to minimise time as the meat. More preferable to letting the sandwich lozenge and the faster one cut back to the nearside.

When it thins out too much also stop undertaking.

Also not when it goes back to three lanes (junc 6), theres just too much leeway for lateral movement.

Concentrate very hard watching traffic flow/patterns/movement and clues from the drivers. Occasional headlight flash just to make sure that they know I'm there.

77637[/snapback]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bu...rts/4711998.stm

I've seen the log on this and the initial outline report. I don't know if the gap closed on him or it wasn't there to start with. It was a wet morning and just before 0900.

within a week of my post and on the very same stretch of road :(

Should get real interesting when some (silent) electric bikes start being ridden in traffic. "Loud transformers save lives"?

motorc16.jpg

The Breva 1100 is quieter than my V11 LeMans was.

For more safety, I got a Shoei RF-1000 helmet in "Axis Yellow" :helmet:

RF-1000-AXIS-YELLOW.jpg

Should get real interesting when some (silent) electric bikes start being ridden in traffic. "Loud transformers save lives"?

motorc16.jpg

RF-1000-AXIS-YELLOW.jpg

78662[/snapback]

Nice helmet. I love my Shoei Z1, best helmet I've ever used.

(Just as an aside, your sig should read "Check out music by my friends and ME". After all, you wouldn't say "Check out music by I" would you? Apologies though if you are playing reggae, in which case you might say that)

motorc16.jpg

RF-1000-AXIS-YELLOW.jpg

78662[/snapback]

I don't think electric motorcycles for road use will ever get to be too much of an issue.

Apart from the weight / performance ratio problems, it seems that the motorcycle market is largely driven by conservative attitudes. That is why most are nondescript 4 cylinder, garish, high performance, quiet rocketships.

Look at the rotary engines......They were viable if thirsty, but never got anywhere because so few were brave or rich enough to take one on. If there had been more widespread support for them, maybe further development would have sorted out the remaining issues.

Yes, 'Big Brother' always thinks we are making too much noise. He doesn't like the fact that we are 'free thinkers' and actually enjoy ourselves. :grin:

I don't know what tests are done in other countries but IIRC it used to be the case in the UK that the test was not done on an even playfield anyway. Cars were tested at constant throttle openings, bikes under acceleration. :bbblll:

Block colour....Good! :thumbsup:

Nige. B)