Breva/Griso info

pete roper

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested to know what mileage you have done on a single belt. as i have been told from 5000 to 100000. i guess this is down to different riders and conditions :huh2: cheers gazza

This topic amuzes me.  I also ride BMW's and they have experienced an epidemic in recent years with a similar problem on their rear drives.  We have a local group of about 12 BMW riders and 4 of us have had rear drive problems on late model BMW's.  The big K1200LT series and the R1150GS seem to be most prone to this problem.  My 1150 GS falied at about 20lk miles.  Even the latest R1200GS with a redesigned rear drive is having this happen. The big ring gear bearing disintegrates and the cage cuts the seal up and all the oil rains out.  Sounds just like the reported Guzzi flaw.  The embarrasing thing is that Ive gotten a lot of the guys looking at Guzzi as an alternate to the BMW.  Now they'll balk, as will I.  I may tweak a lot of folks but the slickest and most relaible rear drive that I currently have is the belt drive on the Harley.  Ive also not had one single issue with the Hog except that you see too many of them on the road.

79603[/snapback]

This may be a naive approach, but when you support a wheel on only one side, the single bearing must take a lot more load, especially twisting action. And for what, speedy wheel change? Like I need that? :2c:

My Breva 1100 had its CARC casings replaced today under warranty due to cosmetic reasons only. I did ask the mechanic to check the bearing, but I guess only time and kilometres will tell.

another thing to think of is if you change it to an skf yourself, and then it goes to shit due to poor design/insufficient splash lubrication, or whatever, and the rear drive sustains collateral damage, MG may not warranty it. I say let sleeping dogs lie,and if it aint broke, dont fix it! :bike:  :D

79556[/snapback]

Good advice Rick :thumbsup:.

If this bearing does go belly-up on my Breva I'll let Guzzi pick up the tab under the 2-year warranty - which expires 27th August 2007. If its going to show any signs of premature wear, surely it'll have happened by then.

I'm interested to know what mileage you have done on a single belt. as i have been told from 5000 to 100000. i guess this is down to different riders and conditions  :huh2:  cheers gazza

79609[/snapback]

My Buell has covered 21,000 miles with the original drive belt - and it's ridden in a most un-Harley kinda way :D......