Breva/Griso info

pete roper

I was talking to Dave Ward, the tech boffin for the Oz Guzzi importer and felt that I should pass on a piece of info that *MAY* be useful to owners.

Here in Oz there have been several cases of the crownwheel bearing closest to the wheel breaking it's cage. This it seems was the result of Guzzi getting cheap bearings made by cannibals, the cage is pretty piss-poor and the rivets that hold it together come loose.

Indications of a problem are that you'll get oil spatter on the rear wheel rim. While if the cage breaks up and gets pushed through the seal it will obviously gush, if the cage just loosens up it will simply allow the crownwheel flange to move and leak a few drips. So far none of the machines that have had this problem have experienced crownwheel or pinion damage as the problem was addressed early on.

The GOOD news is that the cannibals have been sacked and the post December '05 bikes all have bearings made by SKF to a much higher quality than the cannibal offerings and a better quality bearing is available, off the shelf, at your local bearing factor. Fitting this and a new seal will completely resolve the issue but it's a classic case of Moto Guzzi bean-counterism!

I hasten to add that this problem has NOT occured universally and is still, in numerical terms, a rare event but it's something that owners and dealers should be aware of. So far there has been no recall and Dave didn't have any production numbers to say which bikes may be affected.

I stress this is NOT something to panic about. It's just something to be aware of. If you find oil spatter on your rear rim? address the problem immediately. While it will obviously be a warranty problem, and one that the importer here is addressing with no qualms or hesitation, getting to it early will result in a quick and easy fix rather than running the risk of rooting your crownwheel and pinion which might cause an extended riding hiatus!!!!!!

Will it stop me buying my Griso? Pig's arse!!!! :lol:

Pete

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:huh2: are you speaking of breva and griso only?

I was talking to Dave Ward, the tech boffin for the Oz Guzzi importer and felt that I should pass on a piece of info that *MAY* be useful to owners.

Here in Oz there have been several cases of the crownwheel bearing closest to the wheel breaking it's cage. This it seems was the result of Guzzi getting cheap bearings made by cannibals, the cage is pretty piss-poor and the rivets that hold it together come loose.

Indications of a problem are that you'll get oil spatter on the rear wheel rim. While if the cage breaks up and gets pushed through the seal it will obviously gush, if the cage just loosens up it will simply allow the crownwheel flange to move and leak a few drips. So far none of the machines that have had this problem have experienced crownwheel or pinion damage as the problem was addressed early on.

The GOOD news is that the cannibals have been sacked and the post December '05 bikes all have bearings made by SKF to a much higher quality than the cannibal offerings and a better quality bearing is available, off the shelf, at your local bearing factor. Fitting this and a new seal will completely resolve the issue but it's a classic case of Moto Guzzi bean-counterism!

I hasten to add that this problem has NOT occured universally and is still, in numerical terms, a rare event but it's something that owners and dealers should be aware of. So far there has been no recall and Dave didn't have any production numbers to say which bikes may be affected.

I stress this is NOT something to panic about. It's just something to be aware of. If you find oil spatter on your rear rim? address the problem immediately. While it will obviously be a warranty problem, and one that the importer here is addressing with no qualms or hesitation, getting to it early will result in a quick and easy fix rather than running the risk of rooting your crownwheel and pinion which might cause an extended riding hiatus!!!!!!

Pete

78382[/snapback]

Pete

78382[/snapback]

pardon my ignorance, Pete, but who are the "cannibals" ? :homer:

pardon my ignorance, Pete, but who are the "cannibals" ?  :homer:

78391[/snapback]

It's a figure of speech. Generally pertaining to the uncivilized and, in this case, the not so technically advanced. If you want to get into an argument about whether the term is racist? Bring it on! I can assure you I have enough ordanance in my armoury to blow anything you might have out of the water :grin::bier:

Pete

Man, I tell you these new bikes are crap!

My good old trusty Guzzi never had a problem like this and will probably be running long after these fancy newfangled bikes will be in the junk pile!

Even those newfangled "roundheads" are crap!

They just don't make em like they did in 1939.....

^_^

It's a figure of speech. Generally pertaining to the uncivilized and, in this case, the not so technically advanced. If you want to get into an argument about whether the term is racist? Bring it on! I can assure you I have enough ordanance in my armoury to blow anything you might have out of the water :grin:  :bier:

Pete

78394[/snapback]

most racists do have large quantities of ordanance in their armouries.

I guess Cannibal grade is below Poxy grade.

:huh2: are you speaking of breva and griso only?

78384[/snapback]

Yes, only the Breva and Griso. The problem is occuring in the bevelbox part of the CARC swingarm. Like earlier bevelboxes the crownwheel is supported in two bearings, it is the one of these closest to the wheel that is giving the problem.

Sorry, Jason? What is the relevance of ZING???? :huh2:

Pete

It's a figure of speech. Generally pertaining to the uncivilized and, in this case, the not so technically advanced. If you want to get into an argument about whether the term is racist? Bring it on! I can assure you I have enough ordanance in my armoury to blow anything you might have out of the water :grin:  :bier:

Pete

78394[/snapback]

I dont have a problem with the term Pete, I just didnt know what it meant, I thought the parts were made in the south american rain forest somewhere. :D I think cannibalism is ok, if you are stuck on a snowy mountain or something,and starving :food: by the way at a total risk of sounding stupid.... what does "frontbottom " mean?

I dont have a problem with the term Pete, I just didnt know what it meant, I thought the parts were made in the south american rain forest somewhere. :D  I think cannibalism is ok, if you are stuck on a snowy mountain or something,and starving :food:  by the way at a total risk of sounding stupid.... what does "frontbottom " mean?

78519[/snapback]

It's something arse shaped that is found on the other side of a female human. Sadly, used as an epithet.

m

:2c: of course h's rascist.he lives as far to the west as you can go in aus. they bring in legislation june this year. [you can no longer carry your family on your tray back hi lux...for your shoppin trips..and then there's all those poms and suffarfricans. tx south is west here..we're like that in aus

zing.

78503[/snapback]

:D