• No - This is legitimate modification
    • Yes - Dreadful bodge and I would be horrified to buy a bike like this
    • Don't know or Don't care

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jim fordham
Yes, but only when it's a "field" bodge. Example, using a wire hanger to hold your bike together to get home etc. etc. Almost any bodge is legitimate in this context provided it doesn't cause permanent damage to the bike and is later removed in favour of a proper repair. Say a fuse malfunctioned on the road due to vibration or corrosion; it would be legitimate to use a nail to get home. If however the fuse blew due to an electrical problem a nail would not be a legitimate bodge whatever the circumstances unless the underlying problem had been found and rectified.

To be legitimate, a bodge has to be temporary. Bodging is context sensitive. If you broke down next door to a Guzzi parts warehouse there wouldn't be a lot of legitimate bodges. If you broke down in Alaska, almost anything goes.

Is this clear enough?

78821[/snapback]

I really wish I had kept quite know. I should spend more time smoking around on my bike than on the p.c.

arse! :moon:

Guest jim fordham
NO way that is much too clean for a bodge, looks like actual wire connectors were used, if you just twisted them by hand and used some scotch tape I'd give it to ya.  :whistle:

78883[/snapback]

used the outer of a 35 amp cable as shrink wrap(BODGE?) and soldered the resistor legs onto the indi plug, pushed them into the guzzi plug and squashed them with a pair of pliers(BODGE).

The bracket I made myself fron ali . the light and indicators came from a trade supplier

in southampton (I use to own a bike shop). I may be able to get some more if you want some.

Fitting is just 2 6mm holes drilled and use the normal wire hole . the hard bit is getting all the o.e stuff off which leaves a square hole in the under tray about 3". I just stuck a bit of rubber over the hole from the inside with a small amount of silicone (bath room type, HAY thats a bodge ???????? must be give me a point you tight gits) .

Jim

used the outer of a 35 amp cable as shrink wrap(BODGE?) and soldered the resistor legs onto the indi plug, pushed them into the guzzi plug and squashed them with a pair of pliers(BODGE).

The bracket I made myself fron ali . the light and indicators came from a trade supplier

in southampton (I use to own a bike shop). I may be able to get some more if you want some.

Fitting is just 2 6mm holes drilled and use the normal wire hole . the hard bit is getting all the o.e stuff off which leaves a square hole in the under tray about 3". I just stuck a bit of rubber over the hole from the inside with a small amount of silicone (bath room type, HAY thats a bodge ???????? must be give me a point you tight gits) .

Jim

78887[/snapback]

the man has a point, I say Bodge point. and if you can get another rear section like that one I'd love it. as long as its reasonably priced drop me a line, it looks like a great solution. :notworthy:

Guest jim fordham
the man has a point, I say Bodge point. and if you can get another rear section like that one I'd love it. as long as its reasonably priced drop me a line, it looks like a great solution.  :notworthy:

78888[/snapback]

No problem will get back to you with a price (may take 24 hours I have to go to work at some point)

jim

Okay laddy, I'll match you on bodgy wiring...

There are at least four or more different funky additions or changes/functions to this Sport 1100i. Lets see if anyone can figure them all out. Don't expect a rapid reply from me though, I've got to go back through my memory to figure them out myself! :lol:

Okay laddy, I'll match you on bodgy wiring...

There are at least four or more different funky additions or changes/functions to this Sport 1100i. Lets see if anyone can figure them all out. Don't expect a rapid reply from me though, I've got to go back through my memory to figure them out myself!  :lol:

78892[/snapback]

oh yeah?

A000005.jpg

I have to say Jim that your installation looks neat and functional. I was initially worried about the fact that the thermal rating of the resistors could be light for continuous use, but on reflection, given the 50% duty cycle when the indicators are on, and their intermittent use your 10W rating is OK. In fact it is a perfect choice if you were speccing them as an OEM, certainly so if you worked in Mandello.

Not only that, the whole rear treatment of the bike stylistically is very nice, and the quality of execution has nothing in common with bodging that I can see.

Personally, I would have no worries if I found workmanship to this standard on any bike I bought.

Unfortunately therefore, I have to conclude that the voting reflects a jealous and "dog in the manger" attitude on the part of the membership, and is not objective.

Despite the poll result, I cannot therefore award the Bodge Point on this occasion.

Hope you don't feel too bad about it. :nerd::rolleyes:

Guest jim fordham
the man has a point, I say Bodge point. and if you can get another rear section like that one I'd love it. as long as its reasonably priced drop me a line, it looks like a great solution.  :notworthy:

78888[/snapback]

The light is £20.00 , indicators are £20

The mounting bracket I made myself.

oh and the resisters are 28p from maplin elec

Jim

Guest jim fordham

1st nogbag I am gland you think the 10 watt is ok , as that was all they had in stock . I did want the 20 watt .I am sure I will get over the loss of my first bodge point!

Many many thanks for your help. top man.

2nd Guy / the shop was Performance Bike Spares. We where at Potswood behind machine mart . Mainly mail order spares for jap bikes grey imports + racing parts . Later used bikes and building one off streetfighters/custom/race Bikes etc . Went bust about 5 years ago, bought A load of crap bikes , from a dealer (ripped us off a treat) game over.

Jim

2nd Guy / the shop was Performance Bike Spares. We where at Potswood behind machine mart . Mainly mail order spares for jap bikes grey imports + racing parts . Later used bikes and building one off streetfighters/custom/race Bikes etc . Went bust about 5 years ago, bought A load of crap bikes , from a dealer (ripped us off a treat) game over.

Jim

79024[/snapback]

That's a shame Jim. I remember when I was a teenager living in Winchester I used to ride down to Southampton with my friends, and we used to spend all day in Bevois Valley, St Marys etc poking about old bike shops looking for bits and bobs. I lived in Bitterne Triangle for a while, which was about a mile away from your old shop.

Did you know there is a new Guzzi dealer in North Baddersley called Bikers UK? Not sure how good they are.

Guy :helmet:

Guest jim fordham

Yeah I know bikers. They seem ok , not heard any bad things about them . They have been apprilia dealers for quite a few years , Will go and have a look and report back . would save me having to go to Wareham to get my bike serviced

Jim