NGC: Italian Translator Sought

OldButNotDead

Yesterday, nearly five months after the wife and I drove around northern Italy for a few weeks (in a rental car), a traffic ticket shows up.

Is anyone with the needed language skills willing to look at this and let me know how much money to send, and to who?

Babelfish tells me that I: "circulated in the zone limited to traffic benche to the accesses were exposed marks indicating them the prohibition." I have no idea what this refers to, but I can say that driving in Milan (where it occured) was a hoot.

--Andy

Yesterday, nearly five months after the wife and I drove around northern Italy for a few weeks (in a rental car), a traffic ticket shows up.

Is anyone with the needed language skills willing to look at this and let me know how much money to send, and to who?

Babelfish tells me that I: "circulated in the zone limited to traffic benche to the accesses were exposed marks indicating them the prohibition."  I have no idea what this refers to, but I can say that driving in Milan (where it occured) was a hoot.

--Andy

78819[/snapback]

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, the US taxpayers (who could not have known what they were doing) actually paid me to travel all over Italy (but mostly in the Veneto) to visit soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines in Italian jails and to attend the trials of same. I always lifted a glass to these (often charming) miscreants and the taxpayers while having a fine lunch in piazzas. Seriously, I was a JAG and this duty was part of the NATO Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA).

What was hard to keep a straight face about was that in 90% of these trials, there was no accused. OK, there was an accused, but he (no shes while I was there), the soldier had long since left Italy, often a year or more before the trial, so these procedings were in absentia. It seemed almost ludicrous to watch the histrionics of our hired-Italian counsel, going to great lengths for the accused soldier, no doubt probably even out of the Army by then. Everyone looked so solemn, and I tried, too, but it was hard. I then sent a letter to "Mr." (former Sergeant) Smith or Jones in Tallahasee or LA or wherever, included a copy of the conviction, and sentence (!). The last usually included "banishment from the Republic of Italy." Over the years, I have considered putting a FOIA request for some of these so I could write these now aging guys to offer getting their sentences reduced so they could visit Italy. :D Figure the odds of any of that stuff actually being in the database at an airport!

As for yours, beats me what that's about (camera?), but I'll be in Milan in early June and will be a guest of some carabinieri. Want me to see if I can fix it? :drink:

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, the US taxpayers (who could not have known what they were doing) actually paid me to travel all over Italy (but mostly in the Veneto) to visit soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines in Italian jails and to attend the trials of same.  I always lifted a glass to these (often charming) miscreants and the taxpayers while having a fine lunch in piazzas.  Seriously, I was a JAG and this duty was part of the NATO Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA).

What was hard to keep a straight face about was that in 90% of these trials, there was no accused.  OK, there was an accused, but he (no shes while I was there), the soldier had long since left Italy, often a year or more before the trial, so these procedings were in absentia.  It seemed almost ludicrous to watch the histrionics of our hired-Italian counsel, going to great lengths for the accused soldier, no doubt probably even out of the Army by then.  Everyone looked so solemn, and I tried, too, but it was hard.  I then sent a letter to "Mr." (former Sergeant) Smith or Jones in Tallahasee or LA or wherever, included a copy of the conviction, and sentence (!).  The last usually included "banishment from the Republic of Italy."  Over the years, I have considered putting a FOIA request for some of these so I could write these now aging guys to offer getting their sentences reduced so they could visit Italy.  :D  Figure the odds of any of that stuff actually being in the database at an airport!

As for yours, beats me what that's about (camera?), but I'll be in Milan in early June and will be a guest of some carabinieri.  Want me to see if I can fix it?  :drink:

78832[/snapback]

Sometimes I think us US taxpayers never know what "we're" actually doing...

Thanks for the offer, it's hard to know how to be effective with something like this. :huh2: I found the personal touch worked best when I visited - if I was taken as "kin", things got done. In contrast, I have little faith that sending the stated amount, to the designated address, labeled with the official ticket numer, by registered mail...would produce any predictable result.

Regardless, my (half-Italian/half-Irish/all-fire) wife wants us unbanished so we can go back and enjoy more histrionics in the future. Hard to beat if you're not trying to accomplish anything in particular. Think you're right, they must have caught us on camera making some outrageous maneuver that I wouldn't consider making unless I was in Italy or Boston. I thought I was supposed to drive like that???

Enjoy your trip! :food::bier:

Thanks for the offer, it's hard to know how to be effective with something like this.  I found the personal touch worked best when I visited - if I was taken as "kin", things got done.  In contrast, I have little faith that sending the stated amount, to the designated address, labeled with the official ticket numer, by registered mail...would produce any predictable result.

Do it by bank transfer, as suggested in the lower part of the first page. Keep a copy of the form your bank uses to transfer it and take that with you when you next visit.

You may find difficulty getting a rental otherwise.

mike