Fernando Alonso unimpressed by Rossi

Guest PAULSMART

...If a racer wants to be considered with the Hailwoods of the sport, he must prove at the IOM that he belongs in such company. There is no other way ...

The TT is no longer a world championship event.

Hailwood would recognise Rossi as a great rider as Rossi recognises Hailwood.

Is Senna or Schumacher not to be considered with Moss cos they didn't race the Mille Miglia? Or George Best not to be considered with Pele or Maradonna cos he never played in the World Cup Finals? Was Holbein a better painter than Rembrandt? Miles Davis a better musician than Jimi Hendrix?

There is no objective way of comparing their abilities. Times & priorities change. Just be glad they showed the possibilities. Rossi is a great racer in our time as was Hailwood in his. Isn't that enough?

KB :sun:

:helmet:

Vale could always join the Italian airforce and become a jet fighter pilot, there's not a lot left out there to give him the thrill he needs. That is if the itie airforce has progressed past Tiger moths.

Race a F1 nah, Vale loves the thrill of the chase and those elbow banging passing manouveurs, eh Sete? Can't quite see him getting off on the worlds fastest funeral procession. :bike:

I agree with the comments about Formula One being boring and processional but whenever I have visited Italy, I have noticed that it is a big deal to them, and they are mad about Ferrari, so I can understand why Rossi may want to join in.

Go to any bar or cafe in Italy on a Sunday afternoon and there will be a crowd of men shouting at the TV and cheering on Ferrari.

There is also the challenge of winning a World Championship in F1 as well as Moto GP / 500 GP - only John Surtees has managed that so far.

As regards the TT, full respect to the guys that do it- they are a breed apart from the slick Moto GP racers but I can understand someone like Rossi not wanting to do it as its bloody dangerous.

I think Foggy was the last man to win a World Championship and the TT.

Guy :helmet:

The TT is no longer a world championship event.

Hailwood would recognise Rossi as a great rider as Rossi recognises Hailwood.

Is Senna or Schumacher not to be considered with Moss cos they didn't race the Mille Miglia? Or George Best not to be considered with Pele or Maradonna cos he never played in the World Cup Finals? Was Holbein a better painter than Rembrandt? Miles Davis a better musician than Jimi Hendrix?

There is no objective way of comparing their abilities. Times & priorities change. Just be glad they showed the possibilities. Rossi is a great racer in our time as was Hailwood in his. Isn't that enough?

79276[/snapback]

It is enough, but it would be greater if it was even greater.

If Rossi could do something like win every race for a few years, save maybe a mechanical or failure or crash that was not his fault, he would be up there with Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretsky, objectively the greatests of all time.

But the nature of road bike racing is that the equipment is so important and tires are probably the toughest variable to control.

So, if he could do the near impossible, that would be enough to label him unequivocally and absolutely, the greatest of all.

The amazing thing is that he keeps getting better and better, so it may happen.

Winning more pole positions is key.

Right now, I think Tennis' Roger Federer and Valentino Rossi are both potentially the greatest ever, but they NEED to do more to prove it to greater than the majority of the critics.

Although I would like to look back nostalgically and think that the historic greats were better, I just don't think it is the case.

Every olympics, speed records are broken, and the competition gets fiercer.

Just look at what kids on skateboards are doing now compared to twenty years ago.

They are getting better.

:2c:

Although I would like to look back nostalgically and think that the historic greats were better, I just don't think it is the case.Every olympics, speed records are broken, and the competition gets fiercer.Just look at what kids on skateboards are doing now compared to twenty years ago.

I don't think that they're any better. I believe that it's due to steriods & technology :2c:

Seems to me like a pointless debate. Why does there have to be "best of all time".....TV's full of lists of best this & best that....subjective opinion based on limited knowledge & one lifetime.

I'll go with Greg & agree to differ.

Rossi's a racer. He's done bikes. What's he gonna do there now? switch to WCM? Give everyone a lap start? F1 is fastest racing on tracks. It may look boring to watch but I'll bet for sure it ain't boring sat in there. Don't think it's money at all. He knows motorsport history, he's looking at his place in it. It's a big ask for him tho, right in at the deep end. He's got balls to take it on (if he does). Good luck to him.

KB

Last time I checked (which was a few years ago) the ultimate lap record on most tracks was held by karts. I can only imagine that, with all the safety chicanes and such, that proportion has grown.

m