Norway 2007

Orson

So...I'm considering putting off my Norway plans for a year since others have mentioned they might ride to Norway in 2007.

Is this still under consideration?

say June-ish 2007?

where from? and where to?

Norway is a very stretch out country and very very expensive.

Best route is to go through Sweden to the part of Norway you want

to see.

If you are going to Capo Nord, pick me up in Luleå on the way and I'll

show you the best route. :grin:

Here is the original post by Guzzirider that mentions a possible foray into Norway. I believe Martin also feigned interest :)

79578[/snapback]

I am still interested, but it will probably be January before I can commit for sure due to the holiday rules at work.

A drunken discussion at Erin like Martin suggests is probably the best starting point.

I also had the idea recently of joining Nick Sanders on his 22000 mile trip from Terra Del Fuego to Alaska in March and April 2007, but I think I am too chicken to give up work to do it.

Guy :helmet:

i may be able to do it.

it all depends on the guys that i am riding with in europe for the entire month of june 06 and if they enjoy it.

if all is ok i think that i can make the trip .

how many so far ?

i will commit to it by september of 06 if you can wait until then for an answer.

fernando

how many so far ?

79821[/snapback]

Those who have expressed interest are:

Guzzirider

Martin Barret

belfastguzzi

myself

with possible Scandinavian assistance from:

mdude

gthyni

0 committed so far :cheese:

fastest is by plane....... :bbblll:

79935[/snapback]

yes, but I dont think theyll allow a V11 as hand baggage. :cheese: From England the fastest is by ferry from Newcastle to Bergen (west) or Kristiansand (south).

From the continent, you have several alternatives: ferry from Germany (Kiel) to Oslo, ferry from Denmark to Bergen, Kristiansand, Larvik, Oslo (nice and painless). Or drive through Sweden via the new bridge between Copenhagen/Malmø.

If one is going to experience the best roads, the obvious choice is to begin in Bergen.

If one is going to experience the best roads, the obvious choice is to begin in Bergen.

80315[/snapback]

Very good. That's the first part of a plan then.

• 3 months later...

Anyone's plans firming up yet?

If not, I may decide to shoot for Norway this year (ants-in-pants mode).

Also...does anyone know if you can just show up for the Newcastle - Norway ferry or are advance bookings recommended? I'm not so much worried about bike space as much as being told that there are no cabins available and that I must sleep on a deck chair :doh:

is Whitchurch, Shrops to Newcastle an easy day's ride or should I break it up into 2 days?

Anyone's plans firming up yet?

If not, I may decide to shoot for Norway this year (ants-in-pants mode).

Also...does anyone know if you can just show up for the Newcastle - Norway ferry or are advance bookings recommended? I'm not so much worried about bike space as much as being told that there are no cabins available and that I must sleep on a deck chair :doh:

is Whitchurch, Shrops to Newcastle an easy day's ride or should I break it up into 2 days?

91042[/snapback]

I cant make any plans until my new holiday year in Jan 2007. Helen is keen on going to Eastern Europe so we may go there instead but I am not sure yet.

I would say best to book in advance to be safe- try Motorsport Travel in York- just used them to book my European ferry tickets and they can get a discount on many routes. Saying that sometimes you can squeeze on without booking but there is a risk they may be full.

Whitchurch to Newcastle is an easy days ride I would say- maybe 4 hours roughly if you keep to main roads- about 200 miles.

Guy :helmet:

Helen is keen on going to Eastern Europe so we may go there instead but I am not sure yet.

91045[/snapback]

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Last summer, I rode thru Hungary, Romania, Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

The roads in Romania gave me a beating!...but the scenery was outstanding!...that is if you can get past being stared at as if you just stepped off a UFO! :thing: Once they get some E.U. funds for their roads, it will be a top touring destination. I was surprised with the quality of their hotels. Comfy and with English TV stations!

Slovakia was great! Friendly people and the High Tatras are beautiful.

Prague and Budapest were great. I preferred Budapest as it was further off the beaten tourist path than Prague. The architecture was stunning!