Mistral X-over == crappy mid-range?

Guest IanJ

Ian, what mufflers are you using?

It is interesting that your observations are the opposite of what Manley Cycles' Doug Lofgren observed. There is probably some explanation.

Different mufflers?

Different state of the engine...for example High TPS voltage and US tight valve specs may produce a peakier engine when combined with the Mistral crossover, than Low TPS voltage and RaceCo loose valve specs. Or vice versa...

I also suspect throttle balance, fuel mixture, and variations in manufacturing tolerance all play a roll.

Perhaps Mistral read Lofgren's report and modified the crossover to get more HP???

I wish I had enough money to try out every muffler, crossover, intake combination on a dyno :rolleyes:

Here is a chart of the comparison that Lofgren did.

If I read it correctly:

The Red is the Mistral crossover with stock airbox and Agostini slip ons.

The Blue is the stock crossover on the same bike.

mgv11e4.gif

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here is a comparison of the Stucchi and stock.

The Stucchi is in red with I believe K&N pods.

The stock is the same as shown above.

Please read the Manley site to get the straight dope.

more_m4.gif

Guest mcloutier
A friend of mine put a Stucchi crossover on his 2002 Lemans with stock pipes and no Power Commander, he claims that he does not feel any difference.  So I guess he needs to add aftermarket cans and add a Powercommander to gain what he is missing.  

Well I do have drilled stock cans and a power commander. I did not change my map at all for the Stucchi. I can say without a doubt I had a big mid range dip even with the power commander and it is completely gone with the Stucchi. The bike will now lift the front wheel in second gear. This never happened before the stucchi.

OK , i know it's a small thing but does the Stucchi weigh less than the stocker ? And how much less? (Mistrals weigh 10 lbs less!)

Guest Flagon

Hello !

What I did was installing a Mistral crossover first (my bike is otherwise absolutely stock),and find that the midrange was almost gone.

In desperation I reinstalled the stock crossover and ordered a pair of oval carbon Mistral cans.

After having them installed together with the crossover,a very small adjustment of CO level was enough to make the bike run much,much better than with stock exhaust components,crossover and cans are very probably designed to work together.

Ciao,Francesco.

Doc, I think the Mistral Mufflers weigh about 10 pounds less (each) than stock mufflers.

The stock crossover is very light. I suspect the Stucchi and Mistral crossovers arre within two pounds of the stock crossover.

Some have said that that the Stucchi is less prone to weld failures than the Mistral.

Woo, I need to check in more often. My bike is dead stock except for the Mistral crossover. It feels like the mixture is way off at 3-4k RPM, so I'm guessing that the lack of backpressure has leaned things out or something. If I had a PC, that would definitely be able to correct things.

As it stands, the Mistral is coming off as soon as the replacement final drive casing arrives. I want to get a couple of tanks in to see if it has a noticable effect on gas mileage, but the Mistral crossover is not a good addition to a city-ridden, bone-stock Le Mans. If I can get Dave at Moto International to loan me a Stucci crossover, I will, because I really want to see what the difference is, now.

Unless the Stucci crossover is a noticable improvement over stock, I'm not going to bother buying one, since the stock setup was doing pretty well for me. The flat spot at 3500 never really bothered me, since I almost never have the clear road ahead of me to actually accelerate much. It sounds like the only way I'll really see significant improvements from a different crossover is to also invest in new mufflers and probably a Power Commander -- that's too much money for me to spend on a bike that's already got more power than I can ever use.

since I almost never have the clear road ahead of me to actually accelerate much.

I think I see a charity case here. This is like a muscle car in a museum and never getting driven, a sin I tell ya! I think we need to put a fund together to get Ian and his LeMans out on some open roads :mg:

:lol:

al

Guest scott

I'm with you Al. Lets all chip in and get Ian some aftermarket cans (anybody have a set they tried and didn't like for any reason?) and pass the hat so we can get him a PCIII.

Ian, I'll throw in a few bucks if you ride out to the Winters Breakfast next month. Also, I know a few roads out this way we can "open up" that city driven Guzzi of yours. :helmet: I'm not much of a hot rod and I don't have the skills to use all the tread on my tires, but it would be fun to ride with other guzzi sport bikes. :bike:

Lastly, Al when are you getting your bike up and running?

Lastly, Al when are you getting your bike up and running?

THAT is the million dollar question :P

Completely ignoring the huge pink elephant in the room(the dual-plugging project), there are basically three things Moto Italiano has to finish up for me to get the bike.

1) Get the bike to run. Simple :) MGNA just called them back today, about a week later, and they are thinking that either the driver for the injector, the injector, or the ECU itself is defective. They are in the process of swapping out parts today from the last I heard. ETA?? ...your guess is as good as mine, but I can't imagine this should take more than a couple days, except maybe taking into account parts availability... Up to this point, they've done all their basic troubleshooting, and the ECU wasn't throwing any codes, so to protect their warrantee reimbursement from MGNA, they had to wait for the call from MGNA with the prescribed next steps. Policy and procedure it seems, but I understand. Otherwise they might put 3-4 hours into troubleshooting the problem, actually find it, but then have MGNA come back and say, "..if you had just cleared that with us, you could have found it in one hour, and that's all we're paying you for."

2) Mysterious rear oil leak. I don't have a status on this one...

3) Get the Leo Vince's mounted. I could have done this myself, but since the bike was already in the shop, and I bought the cans from them... why not have them put them on? Of course, now they won't quite fit in combination with the Stucci x-over, and the bracket got mysteriously bent and the rubber gasket torn while they were trying to make them fit :rolleyes: Anyway, Leo is sending a new bracket and rubber thing, and they are machining a few mm off of the mounting bushing to try to get it all lined-up.

4) Various warantee work, mostly body related from when I originally bought the bike. Almost all of this is replaced, but they are waiting on some coping/moulding that goes along the inside edge of the fairing that didn't come with the part. Unfortunately, when I went to check on the bike a couple weeks ago, they tried to fit some edging that they got from some other source, that didn't match at all... and got glue all over the matte black portion of the new fairing piece. I suggested that this wasn't acceptable <_ ..and so they are waiting on the correct mg piece and say can clean all glue off. i hope otherwise will be sending me my third right fairing half src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif" alt=":rolleyes:">

But all-in-all, it *should* be ready to go in a week or so... at least I hope so!

al

I agree with Al. The Le Mans defintely loves the open road. Ride back into city stop & go traffic and she sputters & hesitates. Maybe the increased heat from the reduced air flow does something.

As much as I hate to admit it, something like the Yamaha FZ 1000 might be a better city bike.

Guest Brian Robson

Ian,

You and I seem to be the only riders happy with the standard settings. At the first service I had the Ferraci airbox conversion done (simply to save money over the standard filters), and afterwards with everything else standard the bike runs brilliantly.

The plugs look nice and brown and I agree with you that the bike has more power than I can use every day. I won't use aftermarket pipes as I think less warning is better to the police up here and I love the bike.

Guest marcialc

:stupid: I'm with Jeff/Scott on this one...

Ian if you get on that V11 and :bike: ride down to Winters, I'll pitch in a few bucks towards your PC...although I bet after a couple of 100 miles on the open road, you'll find that your bike dosen't need it and the Mistrals are working fine. :grin:

...but if you plan on mostly city riding, get the stucchi and the PC. The combination have definately made my climbs up and down these hills here in SF more fun :thumbsup:

If you want a really good city bike, get a Ural and modify it like mine. 7.5 gallon tank and Harley Police solo seat. Cargo box sidecar.

You can carry the kichen sink and the easy clutch means stop & go traffic will never wear you out. Having a real reverse gear is a hoot too!

Going from the Ural to the Guzzi always make the Guzzi feel like a real hotrod! Owning a Ural as your city bike will make you appreciate your Guzzi more! :lol: