1100 Breva rear drive defect

leafman60

Is there any more news about the reported rear drive failures on the new Breva. I am so disappointed. Ive been waiting 2 years to replace my BMW with the new Guzzi because I no longer have confidence in its rear drive. BMW bearings are failing too. Now, I am going to go with some other brand. Dont wanna jump outa one fire into the next. I am a long diatnce rider and I need to be able to depend on the machinery.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any more news about the reported rear drive failures on the new Breva.  I am so disappointed.  Ive been waiting 2 years to replace my BMW with the new Guzzi because I no longer have confidence in its rear drive.  BMW bearings are failing too.  Now, I am going to go with some other brand.  Dont wanna jump outa one fire into the next.  I am a long diatnce rider and I need to be able to depend on the machinery.

80390[/snapback]

I am thinking this new era of supply to motorcycle, well, any manufacturers, needing bearings will be a sad one. The big problem as I see it is the increase in manufacture, supply, and use of phenolic bearings, basically bearings using plastic or vinyl roller cages instead of metal. They are cheaper, and the purchasing department in most any business these days pulls alot of strength.

I predict a future of increased component failures in any system using this type of bearing, with said system being otherwise robust.

Ciao, Steve G.

Word is, the Breva rear drive problem has already been fixed, via a quality bearing used on all bikes built after December 2005.

Word also is, you get tons of warning that it is failing, as the seal starts misting gear lube on the bike's rim for quite a while before the bearing actually fails.

Look at the thread of Breva/Griso info. or whatever I called it :huh2: . This isn't anything *new*. Yes it's very disappointing that once again some prick in the buying dept. seems to have thought that buying a load of cheap Russian bearings was a smart move.

The fact remains that the design is essentially sound.

Mike Haven and I have been having a long and angry conversation about how f@ck-witted the accounts dept. is but while it may damage Guzzi's reputation bcause Journos are always ready to have a go at Guzzi, (No advertising revenue = good target.) this is no better or worse than collapsing Kawasaki cyliner heads, the chronic Honda cam-chain problem or the fact that BMW's eat gearbox bearings like a pederast hands out boiled lollies.

I'm sorry that you are disappointed that the fact there have been some failures, (supposedly now addressed by buying bearings from people who don't run extermination camps as a sideline.) has caused you to be so sorely disappointed. So be it. One of the first trips I'll be doing on my Griso is a 'Round Oz' number partly because I want to and partly because I have faith in the product. OK, so I'll go through mine first with a fine tooth comb but to be honest I expect to find nothing terribly wrong, although any bearings with cyrilic writing on will be OUT!!!!!

Given the fact that nothing on your Breva has so far shat itself, (The problem, even with the crap bearing isn't universal.) I can't see why you're working yourself into a lather about it. By all means write angry letters to Guzzi, with a bit of luck the deadsh!t responsible for the bearing purchase will be given his marching orders! I expect to pay about $22,000AU for my Griso. If it cost $25,000 it wouldn't matter a fig to me, I'd be a lot happier if it cost $25,000 and had decent bearings in it! But I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater simply because some c@nt in purchasing got it wrong.

Incidentally the bearing is identical to the one used in BMW's and the seal, although different, can have the BMW equivalent substituted as it, (The seal) is simply a bit deeper, 10.5 as opposed to 8mm or some such, I'll have to re-check Mike's post. Not an issue. Bearing replacement is easy and the bearing itself is available *off the shelf* at any bearing factor.

There are a couple of other *Guzzi* issues I can mention but I'll have to leave that until later as it's Jude's birthday and I have to go cook supper!

Pete

Guest Jeff in Ohio
I am thinking this new era of supply to motorcycle, well, any manufacturers, needing bearings will be a sad one. The big problem as I see it is the increase in manufacture, supply, and use of phenolic bearings, basically bearings using plastic or vinyl roller cages instead of metal. They are cheaper, and the purchasing department in most any business these days pulls alot of strength.

I predict a future of increased component failures in any system using this type of bearing, with said system being otherwise robust.

Ciao, Steve G.

80399[/snapback]

Sorry, but you are slightly misguided. The problem with the Breva was a poor quality metal caged unit. Probably from China since they have almost 1,000 bearing companies in business there now. Almost every new car in the world now rides on bearings with nylon cages. They have very usefull and very numerous applications. Those fancy nylon cages in many intances will allow for an extra roller or ball to be added which increases the rating of the bearing. You just have to watch their use in high temp apps because of cage deflection. Look in some modern truck axles - they have nylon caged bearings in them too. They are everywhere and doing quite well.

but what do I know, I only work for one of the largest bearing makers in the world......

Sorry, but you are slightly misguided.  The problem with the Breva was a poor quality metal caged unit.  Probably from China since they have almost 1,000 bearing companies in business there now.  Almost every new car in the world now rides on bearings with nylon cages.  They have very usefull and very numerous applications.  Those fancy nylon cages in many intances will allow for an extra roller or ball to be added which increases the rating of the bearing.  You just have to watch their use in high temp apps because of cage deflection.  Look in some modern truck axles - they have nylon caged bearings in them too.  They are everywhere and doing quite well.

but what do I know, I only work for one of the largest bearing makers in the world......

80425[/snapback]

So I should be looking closer at modern trucks that I overtake, rather than my Breva 1100 arse-end?? :huh2:

strange why people work themselves into a frenzy about this little issue, when at the same time they ride V11s which we all know was put together by blind dwarfs with Alzheimers (not that I have ANYTHING against blind dwarfs with Alzheimers, mind you).

Show ONE brand of motorized transport which is uninfested with small niggles at the launch of a new model range. My old Beemer which I bought new, dribbled oil all over itself and the garage floor and both the brand new 1200GS and the K1200S has had recalls.

MG has with tiny investments (compared to BMW) launched a brand new line of models and been close to perfection from the start, wr to build quality. the fact remains that MGs were and are heavy, reasonably simple and completely overengineered beasts with a big heart. if one is that obsessed with build quality and durability one should buy something big ancient and japanese, like the Kwak 1200 ZRX or the Suz Bandit 1200, but definitely not Italian.

Guest Nogbad

Show the Bandit a salty winter and you will spend at least as much time unseizing the brakes and trying to stop the alloy turning to white jelly as the Guzzi owner will changing the odd bearing.

Well put mdude, I couldn't agree more with your sentiments :thumbsup:.

As the proud owner of one of these new fandangled Breva's (yes, with the funny headlight :P) I'm concerned that reports of a 'minor' problem have arisen but certainly not in a frenzy about it. If I have a problem it'll be sorted under warranty.

After owning a V11 for just over 6 years I bought a new Guzzi with eyes firmly wide open. I still love them and wouldn't buy anything else :mg:.

The fact remains that the design is essentially sound.

80412[/snapback]

With all due respect, I agree that you are probably correct that it was just the wrong bearing, but I don't think we'll know for a year or two whether or not it is a "fact" that the design is sound.

How easy is this bearing to replace?

I imagine replacing it every other tire change might not be such a bad hassle.

I already do that with my rear brake pads.

Not to mention greasing the shaft is a pain in the zerk.

According to Mike at MPH you push it out with a couple of 30mm dowels and biff the new one in. The bearing *is* expensive but I really do think it's likely to be a supply problem FWIW it's the same bearing that Bavarian Money Wasters use in their grotesque final drive so it should be up to the task of a Guzzi if it's used to hauling Claus and Inga over the alps on a shopping trolley that makes a noise like somebody farting the Siberian national anthem underwater. The Bimmer seal os also the same dimensions apart from it's depth, it's apparently 1.5 or so mm deeper, who gives a f*ck? It'll work, but I'd be sourcing a Viton directional seal anyway.

I don't think it's a big issue, it's a series of crap bearings bought by some Gloid in accounts. Fix it once and the problem will go away. If not then a few hours with a lathe will cure it.

pete

Not to mention greasing the shaft is a pain in the zerk.

80593[/snapback]

thats why its recommended to do that in the morning, before you get your clothes on.

............... or the fact that BMW's eat gearbox bearings like a pederast hands out boiled lollies.

Pete, I don't get out much. What exactly is a "pederast", and what are "boiled lollies"?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

The home for the terminally bored

Atlanta GA

'02 Le Mans