1100 Breva rear drive defect

leafman60

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've moved from concerned mode to perplexed mode after reading the above and may shortly move into full-on 'frenzy' mode :P. I need a big hug and reassurance :(......

If the mighty BMW have problems with a similar type of design what chance do the not-so-mighty Moto Guzzi have :huh2:

Do BMW use SKF in their drive units?

I may follow Pete's/Todd's lead and have the cheap 'East European' bearing changed to a quality SKF unit, even though I've no problems at the moment. I can buy bearings at trade through my company so the SKF 61917 would cost me £65.00 + £11.38 tax = £76.38 (approx $140USD). A small(ish) price to pay for peace of mind.

Todd - what is the part number of the Viton oil seal please.

Todd - what is the part number of the Viton oil seal please.

80854[/snapback]

Check BMW on the bearing as well.

$147 USD retail in the US. 33-12-1-468-899,SKF 61917 C3.

Seal, double lip directional viton, 85x110x10/9.5 (factory Guzzi seal is 85x110x8)

p/n 33-12-1-241-938 $18.00 USD retail in the US.

Check BMW on the bearing as well.

$147 USD retail in the US. 33-12-1-468-899,SKF 61917 C3.

Seal, double lip directional viton, 85x110x10/9.5 (factory seal is 85x110x8)

p/n 33-12-1-241-938  $18.00 USD retail in the US.

80864[/snapback]

Thanks for that Todd :notworthy:.

This is what I like about v11lemans.com - there's plenty of Breva 1100 information :thumbsup:....

Thanks for that Todd  :notworthy:.

This is what I like about v11lemans.com - there's plenty of Breva 1100 information  :thumbsup:....

80867[/snapback]

Well realistically Guzzi hasn't changed much(even the brevas) for the last 30 years? 40 years? :huh2: Damn sweet in my book if it works don't fix it I just wish they would expand on it and come out with a new motor bigger stronger faster 4valver :bike:

Guest Nogbad
I just wish they would expand on it and come out with a new motor bigger stronger faster 4valver  :bike:

80917[/snapback]

Hmmm. I wonder what all that extra power would do to the CROAK driveline.

Hmmm. I wonder what all that extra power would do to the CROAK driveline.

80926[/snapback]

According to the folks I've talked to at the importer the major componentry of the CARC is the usual Guzzi standard of being grossly over-engineered. I was also told, I think be either Mike or Greg Field that the actual CW bearings are tapered rollers so they should be well up to the task of taking axial loadings imposed by the drive, the *problem* bearing should, in theory at least, be taking very little in terms of side loadings as the AC bearing on the other side should take care of that. Only thing I wonder is if that AC has a polyamide cage? If so I think I'd piss that off when I had the opportunity too.

Looking at it though I honestly don't think it's likely to be an issue. If it turns out I'm wrong then I'd imagine that machining the case to either increase oil flow to that bearing or installing a higher capacity bearing will have to be the way to go.

As Mike says it has all the hallmarks of Guzzi Accounts rabid bean-counterism rather than a failing in the design dept. I may be wrong but I have rarely see genuinely *bad* engineering from Guzzi. Of course that may of changed since my guess is that the CARC may of been designed by Aprilia engineers and I really, REALLY don't like much about the RSV motor :bbblll: .

Pete

We changed out our first Breva bearing the other day. It was totally wrecked in every way after less than 200 miles. It was made in China. We are now pre-emptively changing them all with SKF bearings, to prevent further PR and CARC damage.

Guest Jeff in Ohio
We changed out our first Breva bearing the other day. It was totally wrecked in every way after less than 200 miles. It was made in China. We are now pre-emptively changing them all with SKF bearings, to prevent further PR and CARC damage.

80966[/snapback]

Being that Moto Guzzi is probably not large enough to buy direct as an OEM from a bearing supplier (you need lots of volume to buy direct), they are probably receiving whatever their bearing house is giving them.

As far as having a nylon cage in the rear drive, don't worry about it. If that rear drive is running hot enough to have a consistant sustained 200 degrees F lube temp (means hard parts are well over 200), then you would have other things to worry about and would notice it when your oil drained out as some nastly black burnt crap. I'd me amazed if the oil temp ran much over 180 sustained temperatures.

If it's Timken/Torrington/Fafnir or SKF or NSK ot NTN or FAG, the coountry of origin will not matter. Their products made in Botswana would be the same as made in their home countries as they all have adequate quality control plans.....

Now if it's 'Changs Bearings' or something else, well, I'd worry about that.....

• 3 weeks later...

They are keen enough to issue a recall for that then!

Shame they aren't so consciencious about rectifying the RAM single plate clutch issue! :moon:

Not that I am decrying a recall....Far from it! :rolleyes:

Nige. :huh:

Guest Nogbad
They are keen enough to issue a recall for that then!

Shame they aren't so consciencious about rectifying the RAM single plate clutch issue!  :moon:

Not that I am decrying a recall....Far from it!  :rolleyes:

Nige.  :huh:

83382[/snapback]

I guess they can pin down the series of bad components, and are worried about a rear wheel lockup if anyone continued to ride on a bad bearing. Also, these are flagship new models! In the case of the clutch, it is only a couple of obscure V11 special editions and they probably assess the risk as low.

I guess they can pin down the series of bad components, and are worried about a rear wheel lockup if anyone continued to ride on a bad bearing. Also, these are flagship new models! In the case of the clutch, it is only a couple of obscure V11 special editions and they probably assess the risk as low.

83389[/snapback]

Sad but not far from the truth, I suspect!

Smacks of cynical beancounterism to me! :vomit:

Nige :glare::huh2:B)