V7 Sport

Guest Jaap

Hi,

I've got my eyes on a 72 V7 Sport as a second bike for short spins. Completely rebuild. Has anybody got some pointers where to look at when buying?

TIA

Jaap

John,

I don't visit the Aussi forum anymore. Their server is way too slow for a young, dynamic, furiously fast Guzzihead like me... :)

I know, probably only a raised Quota would fit me... I see the V7 as a fun bike to visit old-timer meets and maybe as some kind of an investment.

I once brought one back to life for an owner who imported it from Italy. It IS a tiny bike! (And I am speaking about this before my legs got crushed and I put on all this weight!) The seat is anarrow brick. The tranny is clunky and the rear brake is only so-so. The reversed controls take time to get used to.

That said, the motor is really sweet! With fresh cartridges in the forks and good rear shocks, this bike really handles well. It's a beautiful design as well. Timeless. It's a clasic that you can actually ride and it won't mark it's spot on your shop floor!

But the power and handling of the new bikes have me seduced. To me the V11S brings out the best of the classic V7 Sport mixed with all the advantages of design that have come along in the 30 years since.

• 2 years later...
Guest roadholder
Hi,

I've got my eyes on a 72 V7 Sport as a second bike for short spins. Completely rebuild. Has anybody got some pointers where to look at when buying?

TIA

Jaap

5825[/snapback]

Hi Jaap,

for what is my knoledge, I will take a look at:

1) rust inside the fuel tank. check with fingers in the bottom of it, to see if it was solded (maybe in a bad way)

2) cans: are they original or just some general "Lanfranconi"?

3) Borrani rims. check for damage. you can find some reproductions (spanish or italian), but some original spares are really expensives

4) seat. take a look at some pictures around. if it was rebuilt, be sure it has the right shape

5) look at bolts and nuts. it is easy to change them. A good restored bike needs to keep its original stuff, maybe just "refreshed" (a new nichel bath).

6) be sure the engine was rebuilt with its original settings (no chainless timing gears, no new distributions stuff, Gilardoni master cylinders and so on)

7) frame paint. it dont have to be pover coated

8) rear shock absorbers. original rebuilt or just some replicas?

9) check for matching numbers for frame-engine (send me a private email and I could make a phone call to official Moto Guzzi historical register, here in Mandello)

10) try to run it on. a bad starter is common on that bikes (the big crown attached to the flyweel was easy to get damaged).

I hope to be helpful

If if all ok, or if the price is good.... buy it! It's one of the best bikes never builded

Alex

What Alex said covers most of it.

A 1972 model should have the shifter on the right, Koni shocks, and timing gears in the engine.

If it does not have the shark-gill mufflers, negotiate down the price. These mufflers are very difficult to find and expensive.

Most fasteners were chrome plated on the Sport.

Rims should be Borranis, but are the Cross type, with thicker shoulders than those used on the V7s and Ts.

They are great bikes. I should never have sold mine . . .

What Alex said covers most of it.

A 1972 model should have the shifter on the right, Koni shocks, and timing gears in the engine.

If it does not have the shark-gill mufflers, negotiate down the price. These mufflers are very difficult to find and expensive.

Most fasteners were chrome plated on the Sport.

Rims should be Borranis, but are the Cross type, with thicker shoulders than those used on the V7s and Ts.

They are great bikes. I should never have sold mine . . .

86487[/snapback]

Most would agree the original V11, the green model, was inspired by the V7 Sport.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest ratchethack
Most would agree the original V11, the green model, was inspired by the V7 Sport.

Ciao, Steve G.

Didn't the silver with red frame precede the green model? :huh2:

John,

I don't visit the Aussi forum anymore. Their server is way too slow for a young, dynamic, furiously fast Guzzihead like me... :)

5833[/snapback]

New server:

http://morini.com.au/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

Fast as a V35 on NO2. (i.e. fast enough and bloody scary.....)

[edit] Ha! Just seen the date on your post - no doubt you already know about this.

m