weird metallic rattle

beauchemin

I'm getting an occasional terrible metallic clatter which sounds like a loose piece of metal. It seems to be coming from the left top end. I checked the valve clearances and they are a little loose, but not very much (.18 inlet and .22 exhaust). I've looked for loose parts on the outside of the motor and I can find nothing. Any ideas what this might be?

I'm 99% sure that this is not pre-ignition. I have not made any change to my fuel usage (Chevron 94 octane - the highest octane available in Canada). It makes this intermittant metallic sound when I'm at a standstill (no engine load) with the clutch enaged or disenaged, or while riding. It doesn't make the rattling sound at idle speed, it happens while revving the motor.

I'm 99% sure that this is not pre-ignition.  I have not made any change to my fuel usage (Chevron 94 octane - the highest octane available in Canada).  It makes this intermittant metallic sound when I'm at a standstill (no engine load) with the clutch enaged or disenaged, or while riding.  It doesn't make the rattling sound at idle speed, it happens while revving the motor.

81980[/snapback]

Mine did a version of this - turned out to be intermittant contact between a header-to-crossover clamp and engine case. Sounded nasty, addressed easily.

I'm 99% sure that this is not pre-ignition.  I have not made any change to my fuel usage (Chevron 94 octane - the highest octane available in Canada).  It makes this intermittant metallic sound when I'm at a standstill (no engine load) with the clutch enaged or disenaged, or while riding.  It doesn't make the rattling sound at idle speed, it happens while revving the motor.

81980[/snapback]

As per post in the other tappet thread, I'll ask big Gord.

Guest redguzziv10

i think i've got exactly the same rattle. best described as a "bolt in a washing mashine on spin cycle"

it only happens to me when i reach the top of the rev range, regardless of the gear i'm in (or in neutral)

can't seem to find where it comes from, or even if it's doing any damage, so up till now i've ignored it :blush:

As per post in the other tappet thread, I'll ask big Gord.

Thanks Jim!

i think i've got exactly the same rattle. best described as a "bolt in a washing mashine on spin cycle"

it only happens to me when i reach the top of the rev range, regardless of the gear i'm in (or in neutral)

can't seem to find where it comes from, or even if it's doing any damage, so up till now i've ignored it :blush:

That's the sound! I can get it from the middle rpm range and up.

Could it be camchain lash?

Good idea - but then why would I only hear it on the left side?

I get a sound that sounds exactly like a dry leaf in a

car heater fan....very internitently and only when rolling

around a parking lot......(at least thats the only time I can hear it)

exhaust gasket? ( thought I'd get in on playing name that sound)

My Goose is pretty smooth & quiet when its warmed up. Excepting the clutch 'of course'. If you have a strange rattling noise as you've described I'd have a Guzzi tech have a look at it. There have been some major engine failures in a very few of the v11's that sounded familiar to what you're describing. It may be nothing but get a second opinion :2c: