V11 Battery Replacement

V11UK

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which measure does have the yuasa YTX15L? European parameters please...

Sorry, I've got it.

Metric Dimensions: 175mm x 87mm x 130mm

It seems to big for the V11... <_>

86884[/snapback]

I just attempted to install the YTX15L supplied by the dealer to replace the leaking YTX15L-BS.

By accident, I noticed marks on the seat bottom that looked like interference from the battery. Sure enough, there is minimal clearance with the battery's bottom towards the front of the bike. There is also a rib on the left side of the seat that interferes about 15 mm near the battery's positive terminal. I installed the seat, and felt the battery with one hand while putting just my other hand's pressure on the seat. I could feel the battery move down as I put only about 5 kg on the seat!

Now I am wondering whether the battery supplied with the bike leaked because of my body weight being transferred right to the battery.

Luckily I found this before riding the bike. Rather than go through the whole process of finding a third battery that would be small enough to fit, I modified the battery support bracket to lower the bottom of the battery. I did this by bending the two "Z" shaped parts in two places, using a vice. Each of the four original 90 degree bends was straightened to about 120 degrees. This lowered the battery's bottom about 15mm.

I used a Dremel tool to cut the plastic rib out of the seat to eliminate the other interference near the battery's top.

The same problem would exist with the Odyssey PC545. The service replacement suggested by Moto Guzzi is the YTZ12S, which is smaller. It probably clears the rib, but it just as thick as the other alternatives, so the bracket modification would probably be necessary to be safe.

• 1 year later...

Juz to add to the database; I have just fitted a Yuasa YTZ-10S maintenance free battery. Size is good, actually narrower than the battery tray. So far so good. No modification to the seat required. Retailed for about US$95 where I come from.

Cheers

Cat

Juz to add to the database; I have just fitted a Yuasa YTZ-10S maintenance free battery. Size is good, actually narrower than the battery tray. So far so good. No modification to the seat required. Retailed for about US$95 where I come from.

Cheers

Cat

In your climate 10 amp-hours may be enough. In mine, I'll stick with the 15 amp-hour battery.

The price is about the same as I paid here-reasonable. Good luck with it.