Battery Leaks

Ryland3210

Guest Mattress

I think I now know who the dude is behind Mattress' avatar

genesimmonsbookwf3.jpg

That was awesome! We were listening to Kiss at the bar last night.

Actually I'm not all that worried about my guzzi breaking down. Its actually been trouble free so far. I bought it last June and although it only has 3000 miles, no problemo.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, were the conflicting posts the violent part of the agreement? :P

I assume you agree with him that when determining SOC, Voltage rises with and drops with temperature and that when you were answering me before, you were thinking charging voltage and not the voltage that we would look at to determine state of charge.

My comments were relevant to the SOC and Charging voltages. In both those cases, the voltages are inversely related to temperature. I believe we agree on this. I don't think there is any conflict here.

However, that's different from the variation of open circuit (neither charging nor discharging) battery voltage with temperature, which Gary indicates is a positive relationship. No conflict here either, because I haven't commented on that, haven't done any research or experimenting on it, so I have no reason to doubt Gary.

My comments were relevant to the SOC and Charging voltages. In both those cases, the voltages are inversely related to temperature. I believe we agree on this. I don't think there is any conflict here.

However, that's different from the variation of open circuit (neither charging nor discharging) battery voltage with temperature, which Gary indicates is a positive relationship. No conflict here either, because I haven't commented on that, haven't done any research or experimenting on it, so I have no reason to doubt Gary.

OK, I get it now.

I guess you did not understand that I was talking measuring SOC while in an open circuit state.

Thanks for the clarification. :bier:

OK, I get it now.

I guess you did not understand that I was talking measuring SOC while in an open circuit state.

Thanks for the clarification. :bier:

There is a pretty thorough website that shows charts and tables, along with a load of instructive stuff including how to remedy sulfated batteries.

They had published an earlier version which I found ambiguous regarding which way to make the corrections of voltage for temperature. They have replaced the formula and correction example, which could be interpreted in both directions with a downloadable table. It supplies a float maintenance voltages versus temperature chart as well. Try this:

www.uuhome.de/william.darden

Excellent!!!

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Here is a link to directly download the excel sheet with the temperature compensation:

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/SoC.xls

Some browsers may need to right click and select save linked file option.

THANX!!!

You're absolutely welcome. I'm glad I found the old version in my archives, and the new one was still available.

I think this source is clear and credible enough to put in FAQ's. If you know how to do that, it's my suggestion.

If anyone needs it in Lotus 123 format, I can reply with a WK1 file. Not so elegant, but the same data.

I don't know how and probably don't have the ability to put in FAQ section, but here is a start:

soctemperature2jq8.png

It could be improved.

I wrote that the data in the graph was from that website, but I did not mention that I also put that data into the table shown, and I could include the hawker data in that chart, and maybe color the numbers in the table to match the colors in the graph.

And I did not label the degrees F.