headlights

Guest jasper

Guest jasper

hi there,

since i am taking my bike to OZ i thought it would be best to get a "wrong side of the road headlight" But then i remembered it''s a clear lens (2002 model)! and somewhere in my mind there is a faint memory of a strange bit of plastic in front of the bulb.. (you know the bit that fals of after 20km and requires you to take the lens of) Is that the bit i need to change my light from right to left specs?

Or should i change the reflector to do that?

If anybody wants to swap... left to right! let me know!

Ciao

jasper

:cheese:

Guest ratchethack

Jasper, I think you'll find that it's the lens that needs to be changed to convert to "wrong side" illumination. The lenses have individual "cells" in 'em that direct and focus light according to local reqmt's where shipped. Many of the V-11's, including my own, came with a backward-reflecting gizmo in front of the bulb that evidently falls off frequently enough to have earned multiple mention here. The main problem seems to be that it will rattle around in there and take off the plating on the large reflector in the process, dimming the light throwing capabililty. The solution as I recall is to take it out as soon as it falls off. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference not having it in there. Maybe it'd be a good idea to check it when y'er in there replacing lenses, and if it's loose, take the thing out? :huh2: Me? I'm still checkin' mine now n' then... <_<

More intelligence from previous post on the topic here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2904&hl=

Jasper, the BMW part number for the lens you will need in Australia is 63 12 1 358 148. This is the part I replaced my lens with after my bike arrived from the USA. Hopefully, you won't need to buy a new one.

Rob

Jasper, the BMW part number for the lens you will need in Australia is 63 12 1 358 148. This is the part I replaced my lens with after my bike arrived from the USA. Hopefully, you won't need to buy a new one.

Rob

83135[/snapback]

Yes, I have four of the lenses for those that ride on the right hand side of the road (to be specific BMW #63121243541) that were taken from my bikes when I imported them from the USA.

I'd be more than willing to swap some or all of them for those suited for us left hand road riders (BMW #63121358148)

Guest jasper

ok so it is the actual lens i need to change??? It seems like it is just clear without any bits on it to prevent blinding people?

I'll try reboot and see what they got!

Thanks for the help.....

Ciao

jasper

ok so it is the actual lens i need to change??? It seems like it is just clear without any bits on it to prevent blinding people?

I'll try reboot and see what they got!

Thanks for the help.....

Ciao

jasper

83239[/snapback]

Can't you mask it with tape for the test and then take it off for asthetic reasons. That's what I'll be doing this summer

V11 Sports used the Bosch/BMW multi-piece headlamp assembly.

This has a "finned" lens, with light directed either to left or right by the lens,

depending on local rules.

Guzzi sells only complete headlamp. BMW sells lens, left or right.

V11 Sports used the same lens as the Cali's, excepting

98-2001 EV's, which used a smaller light. Same small light as Centauro.

Lenses for the small lamp also available individually from BMW. Left and right. Clear as mud? :huh:

Beginning with Lemans/Scura/Ballabio, etc.,

a 1-piece unit with a clear lens was used.

I am unaware how the "British Situation" is handled WRT to this style lamp.

I would presume the reflector is different.

The parts diagram shows 1 UK-AUS-NZ-Japan headlamp or 1 for

everybody else.

(you know the bit that fals of after 20km and requires you to take the lens of)

Ha Jasper .I Tig welded my gismo reflecty thingy back on. :2c:

:thumbsup: Gilly

PS and thats Mr Forrest on the right, a frequent lurker and pest that lives up the road. :grin:

2006_0322gingers0009.JPG

Guest jasper

ok.. looking for a whole lamp now! Thanks everybody...

@mike do you have any more pics of the scura? looks a bit alright with the belly pan!!

Ciao

:cheese: jasper