Ohlins update

Bruce Reader

I need to replace my fork and rear springs to a higher spring rate (Ohlins on a V11 Scura). I have an idea from other posts regarding what rate etc and i have the workshop manual.

Any advice regarding the removal of the suspension- tips tricks and things to look out for ? In the manual it speaks of removing one fork at a time. Any specific issues in removing them together to send to a suspension place-(could i do it myself ? Special tools or knowledge? I'm an average carefull backyard tooler).

Any tips with removing the rear?

Regards and thanks in advance for your time.

Bruce Reader

Bruce,

Spring replacement is pretty straight forward. Dunno why you should do one at a time - less you got a bad memory. I did both forks at same time, no problems. Ohlins tool for top nuts works great but you could bodge something if you don't want the expense. Used a large washer with a slot cut into it (so it'd slip over damper rod) to hold spring down whilst you undo top nuts from damper rod. Be sure to clear all old oil out - you can't just tip em upside down, takes a bit of pumping. But be very careful when you're purging forks not to lose small valve that will float up & pop out of top of long thin tube when you pump forks.

Rear spring will slide off bottom of shock after undoing adjuster rings & removing collet. Can leave mounted to bike at top.

KB :sun:

Bruce,

Spring replacement is pretty straight forward. Dunno why you should do one at a time - less you got a bad memory. I did both forks at same time, no problems. Ohlins tool for top nuts works great but you could bodge something if you don't want the expense. Used a large washer with a slot cut into it (so it'd slip over damper rod) to hold spring down whilst you undo top nuts from damper rod. Be sure to clear all old oil out - you can't just tip em upside down, takes a bit of pumping. But be very careful when you're purging  forks not to lose small valve that will float up & pop out of top of long thin tube when you pump forks.

Rear spring will slide off bottom of shock after undoing adjuster rings & removing collet. Can leave mounted to bike at top.

KB :sun:

83354[/snapback]

Thanks KB for the advice.

Do you know the fork spring rate-spring dimensions/type that came with the 'Dark' one ?

My forks are on highest pre load for my weight 105kg(230 pounds) + gear. I heard the valving shim stack etc is a problem as well-(too harsh-maybe to try to counter the soft spring ?).

A higher spring rate front and back are needed. Have people found this alone solves the problem ???

Have you had any problems with your triple clamps. it seems my forks are out 1 to 2mm to each other ?

Regards

Bruce

I think std Scura fork springs are 8.5 or 9.0 (I've been told Ohlins spec card lists 9.0). Std rear is 85.

I was also on max preload to get sag. I swapped springs to 10 front, 100 rear. Much better - brought adjustments into useable range.

Forks are OK now (tho would likely be better with revalve). Shock is still harsh over sudden bumps - I think it's high speed damping is set too hard - been meaning to get it done....

KB

I need to replace my fork and rear springs to a higher spring rate (Ohlins on a V11 Scura).  I have an idea from other posts regarding what rate etc and i have the workshop manual. 

Any advice regarding the removal of the suspension-  tips tricks and things to look out for ?  In the manual it speaks of removing one fork at a time.  Any specific issues in removing them together to send to a suspension place-(could i do it myself ? Special tools or knowledge? I'm an average carefull backyard tooler).

Any tips with removing the rear?

Regards and thanks in advance for your time.

Bruce Reader

83321[/snapback]

I started to gather info related to the Scura Ohlins. See thread that I've bumped up: Ohlins Numbers

It would be handy to try and keep the info together.

Baldini has the Scura clutch thread somewhere too. I feel a Scura Forum coming on. :glare: