Guzzi Sport Exhaust

Guest Buddy

Guest Bob in CT

Buddy,

Did your exhaust come through with any markings or plate that said for Off Road use only and was the color as dark as the picture online.

Thanks

Bob

Tenni 138

Sport1100

G5

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Buddy

No markings at all, other than the Guzzi logo on each can. Also they do not look dark. I polished the gold finish off the collector and the front pipes to a satin finish and that matches the cans. As they say in this part of the world "they look the mutt's nuts"

Guest teros1

Here's another note on the Guzzi cans: My dealer spent 3+ hours trying to get them to fit with a Stucci x-over. Could not physically make it work.

Went back to stock x-over and they fit perfectly.

My dealer also mentioned an "extensive" recommended tuning procedure.

I'm going to pick the bike up now ('03 Rosso) and should have more info this evening.

Guest scottd132

I just had mine at the dealer, I have a 2001 V11 sport with the Guzzi Ti cans and computer. They cannot get it set up to run right. First they thought it was too lean in the 3-4k range with no load, but milage was 30mpg. Then they leaned it out and it ran a bit better but still stalls at idle and misses/surges and backfired once at 3-4K on highway at 60 mph.

They suggested since they cannot set it up to talk to Guzzi about the lemon law as the idle problem existed with the stock cans and computer as well.

Anybody know who the ace dealer is on performance in the US.

Can you give me info on the tuning process or if yours runs right the name of your dealer.

Scott Dean

Seattle :bbblll:

I'm going to pick the bike up now ('03 Rosso) and should have more info this evening.

Teros1,

So was it your 03 Rosso at Moto Italiano getting the crossover and Ti pipes? Inquiring minds want to know! :P If so did you check out Al's 02 Lemans with the tricked out heads and my 00 Green V11Sport with the red Dymag wheels and the oil leak on the Stucchi crossover? :mg:

Mike

Hey Mike,

Well I saw "all of the above" while I was up there, as well as ANOTHER Rosso parked out front of Moto Italiano with Staintunes. I don't know if ya'll remember our thread from last year trying to find a LeMans with Staintunes to see how it looked, well I finally saw one. It looks fine BTW. They are a bit shorter than stock, and the chrome is "different" but I can't say it looks bad. As usual with Staintunes, the quality is top notch, and that comes through. I forgot digital camera, so unfortunately I didn't get a picture.

I was up at Moto Italiano to pick my bike up. And I don't know if it was teros1's Rosso in the back, but they were finishing up the Rosso with Guzzi Ti cans when I was there. This is the same bike I had chatted with them about last week where they had indeed said that the stock crossover seemed to only work with them, and with the Stucci they tried, the fit was waaaay off. In my opinion I am sure one could have bent the Stucci to fit but it would have been an ordeal to get correct. This Rosso also had the airbox removed and had K&N pods on the throttle-bodies. It looked like a very nice combination. Very "racey".

But here's my observation, and this is of course purely from my perspective... The Ti Guzzi cans are a quality set of exhausts, and since they are so high and tucked into the rear, the new hangars are now "even" instead of the right hand side being kicked-out a CM or two. But with these new cans, it would be nigh impossible to fit standard luggage. One might be able to fabricate a bracket that held the bags out further over the cans, but the standard bags we are all familiar with wouldn't be useable.

Also, the Ti Guzzi cans are very "upswept" when viewed from the side. Very sporty yes, but... and of course again this is all a matter a personal taste, I think I prefer the more "straight back" look of the OEM cans and the aftermarket exhausts. Certainly from the rear, the Ti Guzzi cans look very neat and tidy tucked up close to the tail, but from the side, it almost looks like those "duck shooters" we were joking about in another thread :lol: ...ok, not that bad, but they are a rather extreme angle. So if you are thinking about getting these cans, those are two things to keep in mind. They won't work with any of the current bag solutions out there, and they are what they are... sporty, and quite "upswept". So you might might want to see some first-hand, or get some good side photos so you can see if you like the styling they offer.

Never the less, and whatever your preference, they are very very nice, and sound great. If I didn't want bags, and didn't prefer the stock "straight back" look a bit better, I would be kicking myself for getting the Leo's :rolleyes:

Oh, and as mentioned above, they aren't as "gold toned" as some of the photos suggest. They are typical Ti silver, just like Mistrals, or Leo's. But I've found now that I've seen multiple exhausts on these bikes over the last year that just about any the finishes, chrome, aluminum, Titanium, or CF all looks good. We are pretty lucky that the variety of finishes on these bikes allows for a good mix and match.

One last observation on the Rosso getting the K&Ns and Ti Guzzi exhausts.... I noticed that the K&Ns were attached directly to the throttle-bodies instead of utilizing the "runner" that goes into the airbox. The largest K&Ns that would fit were used, so this runner couldn't be utilized. My question is that I had always heard that one shouldn't hang the K&N filters directly of the TBs as it causes tuning problems?? However, Moto Italiano seems to think it was running fine, so I guess the owner of this bike will let us know :thumbsup:

I looked good though, that's for sure :mg:

So this is three Rosso's that I know of that Moto Italiano has sold. I guess we'll see quite a few of them around. Seems like it's a good seller for MG :thumbsup:

al

Guest Buddy

The Ti cans were supplied with a 12 page fitting instruction manual from MG. Pages 9 & 10 refer to throttle body setting and control. I am assuming that Italian Motorcycles followed this procedure as bike runs well. Their website is www.italian-motorcycle.co.uk

Guest k.tx

Fax the instructions to +1 614-734-5953 and I'll send you and / or Jaap a PDF file back.

Konrad

Guest scottd132

I have the Ti Guzzi setup (exhaust cans and ECU).

You guys Rock. My dealer never said a word about instructions, they just couldn't get it tunned. They said the CO was all over the map and the idle did as it pleased and suggested that I put my stock ECU back on the bike for everyday driving (with the Guzzi Ti exhaust) and then when I want to go fast but don't care about the bike missing (as in 3-4K RPM miss) to plug in the ECU that came with the pipes. I think it is a terrible answer to give, as well they said all 2000 and 2001 V11 sports run this way. Amazingly it ran fine until the first service then from there, no idle... and missing, then the new pipes and the same.

These instructions are something I would love to have as I am about to learn this on my own, I am a old time 2 stroke, and performance car tuner but like many have gotten to the point in my life where I would rather ride than work on the bike so I put my trust in the dealer. As I stated earlier their suggestion was talk to Guzzi about the lemon law. I have 1200 miles on a one year old 2001 and have had the following:

-2 output shaft seals blow

-4 valve cover gaskets replaced

-head temp sensor replaced

-in the shop four times to try to get it to idle.

-ignition pick-up replaced

-ECU replaced

-Purchased new Ti system hoping the remapping would help. It is fast when set very rich.

-rear brake worked on as it grabs on it's own and still does.

I love this bike and would love to replace it with a new (true) 2003 naked and then add the small CF fairing etc to get back to my configuration. But to take the loss on mine ($10,200 new with a $1000 of guzzi accesories) to the resale of 6-7K and then buy new at MSRP just to get the updates so the bike can run seems crazy.

The last conversation with the service guys was "well if you have to put up with it running like this you might as well build the s__t out of the engine and make it real fast"

Sorry guys just venting because the other half won't hear it and doesn't understand why I wouldn't be happy with a well tunned and running Japanese bike?

I tell her it is my love for the unusual......... "get the hint"

Happy mothers day to all of you Dads.

Scott in Seattle

:huh2:

Guest teros1

Hi, I'm the guy with the Rosso with Guzzi Ti cans & K&N pods. Here are my initial observations.

First of all, the bike runs great -- far better than before (and the bike always ran fine). The biggest gains appear to be low/midrange, but there may be more power on top as well (but "masked" by the stomping midrange).

The midrange flat spot is largely -- but not completely -- gone. Just as importantly, the snatchy on/off throttle behavior is 100% improved. The fueling is "clean," but feels a bit on the rich side throughout the range. In fact, the change in engine feel is very similar to what I got on my F4i going to PC-III & BMC filter (which makes sense given new ECU).

I was tempted to cancel the PC-III that I have on order from Todd, but I think I'll go ahead with it. I certainly no longer think that it's "needed," but I'm a big believer in them and like the additional tune-ability.

The sound is killer! As another owner alluded to, the distinguishing thing about this setup is the resonant bass (and relatively little treble or "bark"). Magnificent...think Viper more than Ferrari. Also, very quiet at idle...nice fore stealthy ops.

On cosmetics, I think the setup rocks! Far more "sporty," and the K&N pods and exposed shock add to the quasi-retro charm of the bike. On the downside, the bike loses a bit of its "integrated" look with the loss of the side panels, and the hanger strap look surprisingly cheap for such a package.

On practicality, the new-found difficulty with panniers is (for me) offset by the greater cornering clearance....

BTW, I'm told that the '03 x-over is far less restrictive than previous versions...might be why Guzzi didn't include a new one in an otherwise very complete package.

I'm off to the Oakland/Berkeley canyons for some "scratching" -- I hope to have some pics posted tonight....

Great bike & great forum!

Cheers,

Bob

03 Rosso

01 F4i (mainly for the track)

Yeah, the bike looked great Bob... but I agree that I too noticed that the straps for the cans looked a bit light-weight considering. I was wondering if the rubber under the strapping would stay in place because they were so thin. You'll have to keep us appraised on how they work out.

The pods looked good as well. I wonder if there's some way for you to reroute some of the wiring that had been hidden by the side panel, especially on the right. I think that would clean up a lot of the issues you mentioned with it looking less integrated with the panels removed.

... can't wait to see some photos, as I'm sure many folks want to see how the Ti cans look from the side, as well as your K&Ns installed. But don't waste time taking pics today, get out and ride! :bike:

At least you've got a bike that runs :unsure: ...take advantage of this beautiful weather and get out there! :thumbsup:

al