have you ridden a Buell?

Guest slowpoke

Guest slowpoke

I'm thinking of buying a Buell Firebolt and wondered if anyone out there has ridden one and what their impressions are. Frankly, the Moto Guzzi's have to go. I'm just really tired of the snatchy fuel injection and want a more "up to date" bike. I've also looked at the Kawasaki Z1000 and the Ducati's and Aprilia's but I like Eric Buell's approach to bikes. The trouble with Moto Guzzi is a non-programmable ECU and the fact that they have had some bikes on the drawing boards for years but not enough funding! But, (assuming I can sell the bikes) I will still stay a member of this forum because I think that you guys are great and a cut above the rest!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SFGUZZI
I'm thinking of buying a Buell Firebolt and wondered if anyone out there has ridden one and what their impressions are. Frankly, the Moto Guzzi's have to go. I'm  just really tired of the snatchy fuel injection and want a more "up to date" bike. I've also looked at the Kawasaki Z1000 and the Ducati's and Aprilia's but I like Eric Buell's approach to bikes. The trouble with Moto Guzzi is a non-programmable ECU and the fact that they have had some bikes on the drawing boards for years but not enough funding! But, (assuming I can sell the bikes) I will still stay a member of this forum because I think that you guys are great and a cut above the rest!!

83550[/snapback]

Slowpoke

I currently own 2 Buells 98 s1 white-lightning and a 04 xb12 ,I also own a 03 v11 sport, the Buell is a great bike , but not without fault,it a better handling bike then the Guzzi,but it does not have the SOUL , well actually not the Italian Soul,but it has its own character,i would not sell either the Buell or Guzzi...>!!!!

SF

Guest jasper

he slowpoke,

why not get the fuel injection sorted out? a couple of hundred bucks wil give you a fuel injection that performs as it should! The ecu of the V11 is programable you just need to ask the right people! about 5 years ago i wanted to buy a new bike... The short list was (i crossed out ducati being to high maintenance):

buell x1

moto guzzi v11

The buell was fun to ride but imho just for a couple of hours. Not much of an allround bike... Love the design and the bikes filosofy but..... take another good look at your v11! NO WAY any buell even gets close to that. Now try to get your hands on a v11 with nicely sorted out fuel injection.... :race:

Good luck deciding! :mg:

my:2c:

Jap

Slowpoke, sorry to read that you have such a downer on V11's. As others have said, you should be able to clean up the fuel injection for very little cost. There's lots of help available on here.

Ref Buells - I've only had a short test ride on the XB model but was very impressed with the handling and low-down torque. If you want a bike for back road thrills then a Buell XB is up there with the best. Quality and design has improved over the years and the XB range is generally reliable.

I :wub: my S1 and V11, they both have that certain something you won't find anywhere else.

Guest AdamofKC

I haven't ridden a Buell yet, but I know that Buell is having some demo days go on throughout the states and I'm going to one when the time comes. I think it is like in 2 to 3 months time from now. Since many of the members here ride or have ridden Buell's, I doubt a write up would be needed.

You'll be sorry,Next doors got a XB1200R,36000 KM 6 belts @ 450AU a pop.

83616[/snapback]

That's not right; Buell warrants those for the life of the bike or something similarly ridiculous, don't they? Unless he insists on driving on gravel roads [0] all the time [1], his (dealer - d + st) is doing something wrong w/ the alignment of the rear wheel.[2]

I'm looking forward to test-riding the new stretched XB12r [based on the Ulysses] this coming summer when Buell makes their next rounds; the XB9x CityX I drove last year to get my freebie Buell slingbag [nice promo totchke, btw!] was a nice bike, but needed more stonk & room to move, which the bigger XB12r should be able to deliver.

But it's just a test-ride, not a defection! ;)

:mg:

[0] - belts are notoriously sensitive to gravel getting caught between the belt & the pulley blowing out the belt...

[1] - the new Ulysses has a revamped belt specifically because of this

[2] - maybe a tweaked swingarm?

Guest AdamofKC

I was gonna say, "Hey they are using chains for the race bikes not a belt!" but then I click on the pic and whoooo boy! I had never seen a mess like that before! What an absolutely fabulous PR photo! Race a Buell and learn how to make oil seals for virtually everything, even something that doesn't contain oil!

I'm thinking of buying a Buell Firebolt and wondered if anyone out there has ridden one and what their impressions are. Frankly, the Moto Guzzi's have to go. I'm  just really tired of the snatchy fuel injection and want a more "up to date" bike. I've also looked at the Kawasaki Z1000 and the Ducati's and Aprilia's but I like Eric Buell's approach to bikes. The trouble with Moto Guzzi is a non-programmable ECU and the fact that they have had some bikes on the drawing boards for years but not enough funding! But, (assuming I can sell the bikes) I will still stay a member of this forum because I think that you guys are great and a cut above the rest!!

83550[/snapback]

Yes, I've ridden every non cast iron Buell made. :lol::lol::lol::lol::homer:

Ciao, Steve G.

Slowpoke, and any other So-Cal folk,

Weather permitting, I'll be meeting with buddies Sunday 3/26/06 9AM at:

The Blue Mug

122 S. Kalmia

Escondido, CA

My ECU is about half way to being completely sorted out with TuneBoy, and it begs for you to try it.

Don't give up the Goose! :grin: (but if you do, I'll forgive you and still ride with you)

Slowpoke --

I bought a Buell Firebolt last Fall and haven't looked back. Completely reliable and the most fun I've EVER had on two wheels.

It's funny to hear them ripped by Guzzi devotees, as the bikes are somewhat similar -- air-cooled pushrod 90 degree V-twins. The similarity ends there, though.

Throttle response is INSTANTANEOUS. Parts are CHEAP. Handling is extraordinary.

Buell has got it right. Nogbad just bought one, and several other Guzzisti find them quite alluring.

You simply cannot go to the Buell website -- listen to Erik talk about his design philosophies -- and not be impressed. Get on one and you'll be equally impressed.

The Guzzi is heavier, but, in my opinion, a much SEXIER bike. I work in the film business with a lot of "artsy" non-motorcyclists, and -- to a man -- they all prefer the Guzzi to my Buell. Looks-wise, I agree with them -- the Guzzi has "it."

Believe it or not, the Guzzi has a revvier motor -- lighter flywheel -- and feels a tad more civilized.

All my friends who ride, however, are blown away by the Buell.

In short, I think I'll keep both. If I could keep only one, I would probably (sadly) lose the Guzzi.

Luckily, that is a decision I will not have to make.

Guest Nogbad

You really want to keep both.

My V11 is totally standard, just well set up, and I don't find it particularly snatchy. Yes the injection is not as well sorted as the Buell. It isn't that bad though. All you need to do is avoid torque reversals at slow speed in the wet, i.e. when tight manoevering use the back brake to trim speed leaving the throttle where it is - no snatch. The famed 3500 rpm "hiccup" at neutral throttle is still there slightly, but this is lessened by good throttle balance, TPS setup etc.

If you are suffering from the motorcycling equivalent of the "Princess and the Pea" you can always get a My 15M or go the Tuneboy route for completely smooth FI.

Can I suggest however that a certain roughness is part of the V twin appeal. If you want sewing machine smooth with electric motor like power delivery, you should be down your local Honda dealer to pick up an I4.