have you ridden a Buell?

Guest slowpoke

Guest slowpoke

Dlaing and Ratchethack I need to get together with you and get this fuel injection sorted out. I had the PowerCommander USB installed and believe it or not I think it worked better stock. Since then I've added velocity stacks and the hiccup and snatchy response between 3500 and 4500 rpm's is pronounced. Now one thing I have not done is check the TPS setting and throttle body sync and I have nearly 10,000 miles. When you're on the throttle the problem does not show itself. However, when I'm in traffic on my regular commute it it is quite pronounced. Don't get me wrong guys I do quite enjoy riding the V11. If it did not have this problem I would probably not be looking at other bikes. The only problems I've had with the bike are a rear wheel bearing that went out (near Banner grade no less) and the rear tailight assembly breaking off. Maintenance is quite straightforward on the V11 which I like enabling me to do most of it. Dlaing, the problem with my bike is that with the velocity stacks, pods and Quat-d exhaust there are not any readily available maps for my configuration for the PowerCommander. I've already had the bike dyno'ed at Orange County Motorsports but I think Mickey that did the testing has a rather dim view of the Quat-d exhaust and wrote the bike off-in other words just went through the motions of giving me some data and charging me $700 (dyno plus PowerCommander). Incidentally, many people that look at the V11 ask me if it is a Buell!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snip

84081[/snapback]

I'll be happy to help.

I have a PC in my garage with the Power Commander software loaded and a Twin-Max carb balancer, that is very portable, so I can bring it whereever and we can balance you in five minutes.

Road tuning the PCIII could take longer, but I am sure we could get it a little better within an hour.

This Sunday is the Ortega Highway Lookout Cafe meeting, weather and crisis permitting I'll be there.

Guest ratchethack
Dlaing and Ratchethack I need to get together with you and get this fuel injection sorted out.

Slowpoke, I'm sure y'er in good hands with Dave's help per above. Since I run an "off the shelf" map and it runs as well as I can imagine, I've not considered "improving" on it...so (fortunately, to my way of thinking -_- ) I've no custom mapping experience whatsoever. -_-

But am I understanding correctly that y'er considering another bike at 10K miles just because it doesn't run correctly - without ever having the TBs balanced and TPS set correctly - and then "zeroing it out" in advance of custom mapping?! This part is definitely beyond me. For this, OCMS dinged you $700?? :huh2:

IMHO, from what I understand from your post, the hesitancy you're experiencing in throttle response, while not directly related to TB balance, may well be a function of not getting the TPS set correctly to work with your map. Before I installed my PC III, I had these symptoms also. It was eliminated then, and has been absent ever since.

If you guys are doing a Guzzi Clinic on this at some point, keep me informed, I'd like to join up with y'all and see exactly what it is that I'm missing with map twiddling!! :lol:

Sorry, I can't help much beyond this...

If you guys are doing a Guzzi Clinic on this at some point, keep me informed, I'd like to join up with y'all and see exactly what it is that I'm missing with map twiddling!! :lol:

84088[/snapback]

Party!

Good point about the TPS.

If OC mapped it to the existing TPS, he may be kind of stuck with that setting.

But then again, if it runs better with no PCIII, the mapping may be way off anyway.

I'd like to compare the OC USB map with my Dyno Dudes Serial map.

I wuz just in the local Harley mega-plex, looking at a Buell Blast my girlfriend is buying. Yech. She already has it named "Brianna Blaster."

The draw?

She can have both feet flat on the ground.

At least it has a two-year warranty, so I don't have to turn a wrench on the pathetic "two-wheeled appliance."

Did I say "yexh" yet?

The only thing in the place I have an eye for is the Dyna that looks lie the first Super Glide. That's very, very nice.

Guest ratchethack
I wuz just in the local Harley mega-plex, looking at a Buell Blast my girlfriend is buying. Yech. She already has it named "Brianna Blaster."

Well, Greg....I reckon there's some consolation in the fact that she's interested enough to want her own bike. And not to look such a "gift horse" in the mouth!

However....

Have you considered casually leaving a fabulous book around that, as long as she's "shopping" - it'd be hard for her to resist picking up? I've put in many long, fully captivated hours on my own copy and can't understand how anyone could "go Buell" after even the most casual page-through, (feet flat on the ground or no) but that's just me. :grin:

The draw?

At least it has a two-year warranty, so I don't have to turn a wrench on the pathetic "two-wheeled appliance."

Did I say "yexh" yet?

The only thing in the place I have an eye for is the Dyna that looks lie the first Super Glide. That's very, very nice.

84443[/snapback]

Greg -

Just throw a leg over a Firebolt -- give it a chance. No bike is as sexy as the Guzzi (save perhaps the occasional Duc or MV), but these damn Buell Firebolts are ADDICTIVE!

On an aside, it is both sad and interesting that Glenn Bewley -- who shot the cover of your wonderful book -- has pretty much left the fold to concentrate on Vincents. Glenn is a great photographer and a highly original person.

I'm sure if he saw my 'Bolt he'd slap me -- ' til I let him take a ride.

Best...

v50

V50man:

I love Buells. Always have. I' m just built too big. If I sit on an XB12, my face s forward of the speedo. I have to look back to see it. That is prob'ly fatal in traffic. Other than that, they're as addictive as crack . . . not that I've ever smoked crack . ..

V50man:

I love Buells. Always have. I' m just built too big. If I sit on an XB12, my face s forward of the speedo. I have to look back to see it. That is prob'ly fatal in traffic. Other than that, they're as addictive as crack . . . not that I've ever smoked crack . ..

84449[/snapback]

I guess it's revenge of the shrimps: 5'8" and 160 lbs. -- and I fit perfectly on the 'Bolt.

V11 does me justice, too...

...as does the v50...........

...and the Duck.........

.....aw, geez -- I should sell one, but I'll probably end up buying another one.........

.......anyways, thanks for the clarification.......

....if you respect against-the-grain thinking and brilliant (yet somewhat obvious) engineering -- then you gotta love Erik Buell........

Guest Jeff in Ohio

The draw?

Did I say "yexh" yet?

84443[/snapback]

You can do some interesting things with that. A friend did up one for his wife. It uses an S&S head casting and piston designed for an 883 dirttrack bike. HUGE valves were put in along with a bunch of portwork. A piece was machined and heliarced to the head so it would attach to the Blast engine mounts. It's got some cams in it, a fully programmable ignition (advance curve in 250rpm increments), runs about 10.5:1 compressionm etc. We slapped on a carb off of an 883 (has an accelerator pump). I think it got almost 50hp at the back wheel. Stock was somehwhere like 30 or 32. Need to get the exhasut sorted out. Also made an extended swingarm for it......

On an aside, it is both sad and interesting that Glenn Bewley -- who shot the cover of your wonderful book -- has pretty much left the fold to concentrate on Vincents.  Glenn is a great photographer and a highly original person.

84447[/snapback]

??? I don't understand how it's "sad." When you say he has "left the fold to concentrate on Vincents" does that mean he no longer rides Guzzi but does a Vincent, or that he's solely concentrating on taking Vincent pix? Hey, I don't fault the guy if he's trying to put together a coffee-table book on Vincents; his skill w/ a camera is apparent from Greg's cover, so if he's focusing [pardon the pun!] on Vincents, that'd be like money in the bank! Way more people out there who'll spend money on a Vincent book than a Guzzi title, as regrettable as that may be.

& if you mean that he's only riding Vincents, well, that's an expensive habit: I can hardly fault the guy for doing it, if that's what floats his boat! :bike:

??? I don't understand how it's "sad." When you say he has "left the fold to concentrate on Vincents" does that mean he no longer rides Guzzi but does a Vincent, or that he's solely concentrating on taking Vincent pix? Hey, I don't fault the guy if he's trying to put together a coffee-table book on Vincents; his skill w/ a camera is apparent from Greg's cover, so if he's focusing [pardon the pun!] on Vincents, that'd be like money in the bank! Way more people out there who'll spend money on a Vincent book than a Guzzi title, as regrettable as that may be.

& if you mean that he's only riding Vincents, well, that's an expensive habit: I can hardly fault the guy for doing it, if that's what floats his boat!  :bike:

84544[/snapback]

Skeeve --

It is a completely selfish sort of sadness. I met Glenn in 1994 when his photo studio was in the now demolished (to make room for a public transportation rail yard) photo and film district of Atlanta. He was in front of the studio revving the piss out of a perfect vintage Ducati -- I heard it while standing outside the studio I worked at -- and ran over to have a look.

I met Glenn -- a chain-smoking gentle giant of a guy -- and he told me he had "a few more bikes in his studio" -- would I like to see?

Uhh, yes -- yes sir. We go into his studio -- he pulls back an old curtain -- and reveals about 25 or so vintage Guzzis and Ducatis. He did his own work and was passionate about bikes. I had a new hero.

Sadly, our buildings were demolished, and Glenn moves his studio to Tucker -- a suburb of Atlanta. As I understand it, he is now making a living doing both photography and Vincent restoration.

So, yes, I'm sad -- but I'm also happy that he can make a living doing what he loves doing. Considering that Glenn was the MGNOC Georgia rep for quite some time, it's just kind of odd to think of him as a dedicated "Vincent guy" -- though I totally get the fascination with Vincents.

I hope Glenn is well -- I think I'll give him a call and catch up.

P.S. I'm actually quite a good speller, but the fingers I use to type still have no feeling since my accident last December, so typos abound in my posts (for now).

v50